The Student Room Group

Cambridge and Imperial as Firm and Insurance

My Cambridge offer is A*A*A with A* in further maths. My Imperial offer is A*A*A with A* in maths. While I'm sure that I'll get an A* in physics, I am not too sure of further maths because grade threshold for A* are sometimes extremely high like 195/200. So I am more likely to get an A* in maths than further maths.

Do you think it's a wise choice to make Cambridge my firm and Imperial my insurance?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by esrever
My Cambridge offer is A*A*A with A* in further maths. My Imperial offer is A*A*A with A* in maths. While I'm sure that I'll get an A* in physics, I am not too sure of further maths because grade threshold for A* are sometimes extremely high like 195/200. So I am more likely to get an A* in maths than further maths.

Do you think it's a wise choice to make Cambridge my firm and Imperial my insurance?

I think it's a risky choice because there's not much difference between your Firm and Insurance choices, and Imperial isn't the type of Uni to be flexible on results day. Do you have your heart set on putting Imperial as Insurance or do you have any other lower offers that you are currently considering?
Reply 2
Original post by harrysbar
I think it's a risky choice because there's not much difference between your Firm and Insurance choices, and Imperial isn't the type of Uni to be flexible on results day. Do you have your heart set on putting Imperial as Insurance or do you have any other lower offers that you are currently considering?

I am considering Bristol or Bath for insurance too (both have A*AA offers). I've visited both the universities and I won't be too happy being in either of those universities.

Perhaps a good thing to do is to look at clearing/adjustment courses at Bristol and Bath to make a decision
Original post by esrever
I am considering Bristol or Bath for insurance too (both have A*AA offers). I've visited both the universities and I won't be too happy being in either of those universities.

Perhaps a good thing to do is to look at clearing/adjustment courses at Bristol and Bath to make a decision

If you wouldn’t be happy at them then they’d make a terrible insurance choice.

It’s fine to have risky firm/insurance choices as long as you have some sort of backup plan if things don’t go to plan.
Original post by esrever

Adjustment won't be an option because that is for people who have exceeded the grades required by their Firm choice. Bath and Bristol could both be in clearing (no guarantee) but I wouldn't count on them necessarily having vacancies on your course as they are both such competitive Unis and Bath in particular doesn't usually have many vacancies.

It's a difficult choice because if you Insure Imperial and narrowly miss the grades, you could end up in a difficult situation on results day. There will always be good Unis with vacancies, but possibly not as good as the offers you already hold with Bristol or Bath. Having said that, if you really feel that you "won't be too happy being in either of those universities" maybe it is a risk you are willing to take. How would you feel about the possibility of taking a Year Out if you didn't meet the grades required by Cambridge and Imperial, and didn't like the look of any of the Unis advertising vacancies in your course in August?
Reply 5
Original post by harrysbar
Adjustment won't be an option because that is for people who have exceeded the grades required by their Firm choice. Bath and Bristol could both be in clearing (no guarantee) but I wouldn't count on them necessarily having vacancies on your course as they are both such competitive Unis and Bath in particular doesn't usually have many vacancies.

It's a difficult choice because if you Insure Imperial and narrowly miss the grades, you could end up in a difficult situation on results day. There will always be good Unis with vacancies, but possibly not as good as the offers you already hold with Bristol or Bath. Having said that, if you really feel that you "won't be too happy being in either of those universities" maybe it is a risk you are willing to take. How would you feel about the possibility of taking a Year Out if you didn't meet the grades required by Cambridge and Imperial, and didn't like the look of any of the Unis advertising vacancies in your course in August?

Taking a year out is not an option unfortunately. I would still have an option to attend a good university in Australia though if I don't into a UK uni so I guess it's a risk worth taking.

I am trying to find past data for civil enginneering clearing but I have not been able to find it :frown:.
Original post by esrever
Taking a year out is not an option unfortunately. I would still have an option to attend a good university in Australia though if I don't into a UK uni so I guess it's a risk worth taking.

I am trying to find past data for civil enginneering clearing but I have not been able to find it :frown:.

You could try just emailing the University Admissions and asking if they were in Clearing for Civil Engineering last year? Just to give you an idea.

Although it sounds like you are willing to take the risk with Imperial, since you have the Australia option.
Original post by esrever

Which universities would you be interested in as clearing options?
Reply 8
Original post by PQ
Which universities would you be interested in as clearing options?

Bristol, Bath, UCL, Durham (doubtful about whether UCL or Durham have clearing) and Manchester (but it has a lower requirement of AAB).
Original post by esrever
Bristol, Bath, UCL, Durham (doubtful about whether UCL or Durham have clearing) and Manchester (but it has a lower requirement of AAB).

Well rule out Bristol and Bath - there's no point in looking into universities where you wouldn't be happy.

Durham are quite often in clearing - and they tend to be looking for people with high grades.
UCL say they're not in clearing but do open for adjustment - so if you were in clearing but with good grades that meet their standard conditions they're likely to consider you.
Manchester is a good clearing choice - they guarantee accommodation. I wouldn't assume that a lower requirement indicates anything about the quality of the course. Universities and courses are subject to fashions and fads among 17/18 year olds that can affect popularity without actually making any material difference to the content/rigour of the course.

Quite often universities will accept clearing applications for "full" courses from applicants with grades at or above their standard entry requirement.

Are you a UK fee payer or international? It might be worth looking in Edinburgh, Southampton and Strathclyde as well, and maybe Leeds and Loughborough.
Reply 10
Original post by PQ
Well rule out Bristol and Bath - there's no point in looking into universities where you wouldn't be happy.

Durham are quite often in clearing - and they tend to be looking for people with high grades.
UCL say they're not in clearing but do open for adjustment - so if you were in clearing but with good grades that meet their standard conditions they're likely to consider you.
Manchester is a good clearing choice - they guarantee accommodation. I wouldn't assume that a lower requirement indicates anything about the quality of the course. Universities and courses are subject to fashions and fads among 17/18 year olds that can affect popularity without actually making any material difference to the content/rigour of the course.

Quite often universities will accept clearing applications for "full" courses from applicants with grades at or above their standard entry requirement.

Are you a UK fee payer or international? It might be worth looking in Edinburgh, Southampton and Strathclyde as well, and maybe Leeds and Loughborough.

I'm an international fee payer. Thanks for the info :smile:. I will look into these universities.
Original post by esrever
I'm an international fee payer. Thanks for the info :smile:. I will look into these universities.

That will give you even more options (particularly for the scottish universities where their scottish/EU places are striclty capped)
Reply 12
Original post by PQ
That will give you even more options (particularly for the scottish universities where their scottish/EU places are striclty capped)

That's great! (even though it's a bit strange to see Scottish students being capped too)
Original post by esrever
That's great! (even though it's a bit strange to see Scottish students being capped too)

Because they pay no fees their places are 100% subsidised by the scottish government - and the government can only fund a set number of places.
What was the reason you didnt like either Bristol or Bath. They are very different campuses and this may have a bearing on where it is worth looking at.
Reply 15
Original post by swanseajack1
What was the reason you didnt like either Bristol or Bath. They are very different campuses and this may have a bearing on where it is worth looking at.

They are great universities but I liked Imperial way more than them
Original post by esrever
They are great universities but I liked Imperial way more than them

is it just down to reputation or not liking the campus or the places being too small
Reply 17
Original post by swanseajack1
is it just down to reputation or not liking the campus or the places being too small

The labs of Imperial for civil engineering are of no match to Bristol or Bath. Also it's located in a really nice area of London and there will be way more job or internship opportunities here.
Original post by esrever
The labs of Imperial for civil engineering are of no match to Bristol or Bath. Also it's located in a really nice area of London and there will be way more job or internship opportunities here.

so basically it is down to Imperial's reputation and contacts. In that case no other uk university will give you that. Bath does have industrial placements so will help with jobs. The problem is that somewhere like Durham is extremely small and if its London life you are after donrt look at other places as they will be nothing like it.
Reply 19
Original post by esrever

Bath is excellent for internships and graduate opportunities.

What about Loughborough?
https://www.lboro.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/study-areas/civil-engineering/

So you have Cambridge, Imperial, Bath, Bristol and...? (Sorry if I missed this)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending