Cambridge and Imperial as Firm and Insurance Watch

1Person
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yes, it very is.
Just try to avoid screwing up your examinations.
Good luck and congratulations on your two big offers.
esrever
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Doonesbury)
Bath is excellent for internships and graduate opportunities.

What about Loughborough?
https://www.lboro.ac.uk/study/underg...l-engineering/

So you have Cambridge, Imperial, Bath, Bristol and...? (Sorry if I missed this)

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've an offer from Southampton as well but I disliked the course there. I will check Loughborough out.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
esrever
Rep:
?
(Original post by 1Person)
Yes, it very is.
Just try to avoid screwing up your examinations.
Good luck and congratulations on your two big offers.
Thank you
esrever
Rep:
?
I've got an idea. Since UCAS deadline is in June and my exams end in May, I will make a decision after my exams.
Last edited by esrever; 1 week ago
Doonesbury
  • Section Leader
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by esrever)
I've got an idea. Since UCAS deadline is in June and my exams end in May, I will make a decision after my exams.
Are you sure about that? It's 1st May if you got all your offers before 31 March. Is your postal address outside the EU?
esrever
Rep:
?
Are you sure about that? It's 1st May if you got all your offers before 31 March. Is your postal address outside the EU?
Yes. I live outside the EU.
Doonesbury
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yes. I live outside the EU.
But you don't get your results until August...

Posted from TSR Mobile
esrever
Rep:
?
But you don't get your results until August...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes but I can get a rough estimate from the unofficial markschemes
swanseajack1
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
The key problem here is OP is clearly chasing reputations hence Cambridge and Imperial and why eveything else isnt suitable. If OP fails to get required grades for Cambridge or Imperial then something has to give and suddenly universities that werent originally considered acceptable come into play. The universities being looked at may not be available in clearance this year. There has been an increase in numbers largely due to the increase of overseas non ec students so fewer place might be available. Cambridge and Imperial are massively different types of environment. Cambridge is closer to Bath in size than London. If OP decides on Cambridge as firm and Imperial as insurance the doesnt meet the grades there might be major problems findind somewhere suitable in clearing.
esrever
Rep:
?
(Original post by swanseajack1)
The key problem here is OP is clearly chasing reputations hence Cambridge and Imperial and why eveything else isnt suitable. If OP fails to get required grades for Cambridge or Imperial then something has to give and suddenly universities that werent originally considered acceptable come into play. The universities being looked at may not be available in clearance this year. There has been an increase in numbers largely due to the increase of overseas non ec students so fewer place might be available. Cambridge and Imperial are massively different types of environment. Cambridge is closer to Bath in size than London. If OP decides on Cambridge as firm and Imperial as insurance the doesnt meet the grades there might be major problems findind somewhere suitable in clearing.
While I appreciate your advice, I don't see how liking Imperial's labs or location makes me a reputation chaser.
swanseajack1
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
While I appreciate your advice, I don't see how liking Imperial's labs or location makes me a reputation chaser.
Because Imperial and Cambridge are totally different environments and are ranked 1 and 2 by CUG. Bath, Southamton and Bristol ranked 5 to 7. Not one of 3 you find suitable. Oxford is ranked 3 which you couldnt apply to. You are prepared to look at Bath and Bristol in clearing. Universities you didnt like but good enough if you cant get into clearing. The trouble for you is most top universities may be full and want participate in clearing.
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by swanseajack1)
Because Imperial and Cambridge are totally different environments and are ranked 1 and 2 by CUG. Bath, Southamton and Bristol ranked 5 to 7. Not one of 3 you find suitable. Oxford is ranked 3 which you couldnt apply to. You are prepared to look at Bath and Bristol in clearing. Universities you didnt like but good enough if you cant get into clearing. The trouble for you is most top universities may be full and want participate in clearing.
I don't see any problem with esrever, or anyone else for that matter, applying to universities with completely different types of environment.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bath
    Undergraduate Virtual Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Ravensbourne University London
    School of Design, School of Media Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Leeds Trinity University
    PGCE Open Day Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (35)
12.5%
Yes - a food allergy (32)
11.43%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (9)
3.21%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (9)
3.21%
No (195)
69.64%

Watched Threads