Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi Tsr medics,

I'm an F1 on my second rotation (med) and I did paeds in my first rotation.
I was just wondering if If anyone could advice regarding which first membership paper would be more impactful during application since I'll be applying for both during the next application cycle.
I thoroughly enjoy both but I can't decide which one to do as I can only afford to do one.
At this point, I can't really decide between the either so it's hard to commit.
Im planning to go straight into training so f3 year is a no go I'm afraid.

Thanks loads.
junior.doctor
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Neither gives you specific points for application (assuming you would be thinking of applying for paeds or IMT). At least, paeds definitely doesn’t - and many / most paeds trainees start paeds having not done any exams. And CMT never used to award points for it - not seen the new IMT criteria but imagine it would be similar.

Exams may be useful in the “commitment to specialty” station in interviews - but again plenty of other ways of also showing commitment, depending on what you’ve done so far.

If you’re uncertain what you want to do, which is normal at this stage, why rush in right now? You have plenty of time to decide and then take exams. I know amongst the F1s (where I work at least) there is suddenly lots of hype about exams - and consequent fear of getting behind from those who haven’t started yet. But I think it’s like first year uni where suddenly quite early on there’s loads of hype about second year housing and then everyone panics and cos everyone else seems to have suddenly sorted it and you’re afraid you’ll be the second year without a house and homeless living under a bridge cos everyone else has plans.

A good reason to do an exam is it gives you a reason to study and learn, and in that sense, even if you never go on to finish the rest of those particular exams, you could argue that it’s still useful learning. And for MRCP part 1 at least, the evidence is there that taking it earlier on gives you a slightly higher chance of passing.

Think also about the kinds of jobs you have coming up - will you have time to study enough? Your first year of work and adapting to being a doctor is a hard enough job as it is.

Take home message: don’t rush into it if your main motivation is for looking good on specialty applications, especially if you’re not sure what you want to do long term.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I did part 1a and 1b of MRCPCH then ended up not doing paeds, so it was just a huge waste of time and money!

Whilst its true that pass rates are higher if you take part 1 and 2 of MRCP earlier, the effect is small and might not be causative. I don't think its worth doing an exam you don't then use.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Thanks guys for the advice.
I'll think carefully before I decide.
Really appreciate it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (34)
33.01%
No - I have already returned home (10)
9.71%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (23)
22.33%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (7)
6.8%
No - I live at home during term anyway (29)
28.16%

Watched Threads