A level Mathematics Grade Boundaries 2019: What will these look like?

Watch
Lemur14
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Here's an article on what we know about the 2019 A level mathematics grade boundaries

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/a-l...ese-look-like/

You can discuss this below
Infinite Series
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Lemur14)
Here's an article on what we know about the 2019 A level mathematics grade boundaries

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/a-l...ese-look-like/

You can discuss this below
The third line of your final paragraph repeats the word 'those', but good article.

I'll be going into the exam telling myself that 90% is needed for the A* grade, just to prepare for the worst case scenario since the top students will be aiming to score in that area. Also, after going through this year's papers with my teacher, I realised that the questions weren't 'extremely difficult'; we're just required to break down most of the information ourselves rather than having parts a), b) and c) to show us the relevant information we need to work out from the question. I know for sure that most students will struggle with answering exam questions which combine topics, as it's difficult to come across questions like this in textbooks.

My prediction is that the boundaries for the A* and A grades will be quite high, since the top students have had enough time to work out how to change their approach to the new exam questions. But I believe that the E grade will be very low since a much larger number of students (with mixed ability this year) are doing these more challenging exams which they likely haven't put enough preparation into and will instead just be praying for low boundaries.
Last edited by Infinite Series; 1 year ago
Lemur14
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Infinite Series)
The third line of your final paragraph repeats the word 'those', but good article.

I'll be going into the exam telling myself that 90% is needed for the A* grade, just to prepare for the worst case scenario since the top students will be aiming to score in that area. Also, after going through this year's papers with my teacher, I realised that the questions weren't 'extremely difficult'; we're just required to break down most of the information ourselves rather than having parts a), b) and c) to show us the relevant information we need to work out from the question. I know for sure that most students will struggle with answering exam questions which combine topics, as it's difficult to come across questions like this in textbooks.

My prediction is that the boundaries for the A* and A grades will be quite high, since the top students have had enough time to work out how to change their approach to the new exam questions. But I believe that the E grade will be very low since a much larger number of students (with mixed ability this year) are doing these more challenging exams which they likely haven't put enough preparation into and will instead just be praying for low boundaries.
Sorry for the extremely delayed response, somehow missed this
Whoops, that'll teach me for adding a quick extra sentence just before clicking publish :laugh: Shall fix when I'm next on a pc, thanks
I mean on Edexcel one of the papers was 87 last year so 90 wouldn't exactly be completely unrealistic and still lower (iirc) than most the C3/4 A* boundaries. I think the best thing realistically to do is to just try and score as close to 100% as possible and then you can't be accused of aiming too low
I'd agree, the maths itself wasn't too dissimilar from the old spec papers and the real difference was the lack of part a, b, c, walking you through the questions.

As a best guess I would agree similar although obviously we won't find out until August. Especially as often teachers say there will be low grade boundaries so I think lower ability students are more likely to hear that as I don't need to put it more work whereas higher ability students are more likely to stretch for the next grade and potentially work harder!
Posted from TSR Mobile
Sir Cumference
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Also, after going through this year's papers with my teacher, I realised that the questions weren't 'extremely difficult'; we're just required to break down most of the information ourselves rather than having parts a), b) and c) to show us the relevant information we need to work out from the question.
Was this Edexcel? I it was then I thought that the applied paper was tough and the stats part is hard to revise for since old spec papers don't prepare you well at all.

The pure papers didn't seem as hard as a lot of students are saying - many of the questions could have been in old C3/4 papers. Linear pure papers are obviously harder than the average modular papers because they cover the whole of A Level maths.
Infinite Series
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Notnek)
Was this Edexcel? I it was then I thought that the applied paper was tough and the stats part is hard to revise for since old spec papers don't prepare you well at all.

The pure papers didn't seem as hard as a lot of students are saying - many of the questions could have been in old C3/4 papers. Linear pure papers are obviously harder than the average modular papers because they cover the whole of A Level maths.
I looked at both the AQA and Edexcel papers. I agree that the stats part is harder compared to the old spec, but my teacher told me that if you do enough practice questions for stats then you'll be able to answer pretty much any stats question, because they can't make stats questions too much harder than they already are.
I guess it worked for my mocks; I scored 23/25 marks in the stats section because I just did every question I saw online. I owe a lot to the DrFrostMaths site!
I don't rely on old spec to help me prep for these exams, but there are some great resources out there for these new exams.

The questions I'd was lost marks were on some 6-8 markers in the pure section, but when I went over my paper after the exam, I realised how silly most of the mistakes were. :rolleyes: Sometimes, the new spec question style confuses me; it can take a while to figure out how i'll combine different topics to get the correct answer.

I guess the reason most students found it hard was because they may not have been prepared for these new question styles. I also noticed that there were very few, if any, easy questions that basically gave away 'free marks'. This is why i'm predicting the boundaries for the lower grades to be extremely low.
username4460696
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I looked at both the AQA and Edexcel papers. I agree that the stats part is harder compared to the old spec, but my teacher told me that if you do enough practice questions for stats then you'll be able to answer pretty much any stats question, because they can't make stats questions too much harder than they already are.
I guess it worked for my mocks; I scored 23/25 marks in the stats section because I just did every question I saw online. I owe a lot to the DrFrostMaths site!
I don't rely on old spec to help me prep for these exams, but there are some great resources out there for these new exams.

The questions I'd was lost marks were on some 6-8 markers in the pure section, but when I went over my paper after the exam, I realised how silly most of the mistakes were. :rolleyes: Sometimes, the new spec question style confuses me; it can take a while to figure out how i'll combine different topics to get the correct answer.

I guess the reason most students found it hard was because they may not have been prepared for these new question styles. I also noticed that there were very few, if any, easy questions that basically gave away 'free marks'. This is why i'm predicting the boundaries for the lower grades to be extremely low.
Can I ask, what resources do you use to prepare for stats, do you do all the exercises in the textbook? You obviously did very well in your mock for stats. when you say you got 23/25 was this the 2018 paper for stats? Thanks
Infinite Series
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by TSR1515)
Can I ask, what resources do you use to prepare for stats, do you do all the exercises in the textbook? You obviously did very well in your mock for stats. when you say you got 23/25 was this the 2018 paper for stats? Thanks
My teacher took half the stats questions from the 2018 paper but changed them up a bit, and he made up the other half himself.

I do the exercise questions in the book first before doing other practice questions.
My exam board is AQA, but I use the papers on Physics&MathsTutor like the Edexcel Gold Papers and the Solomon Papers. I also use CrashMaths, IntegralMaths, MadasMaths, some Kerboodle exam papers that my teacher gave us, https://mathsorchard.weebly.com/ and DrFrostMaths.
学生の父
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
WJEC-Eduqas decided not to offer a revised Maths specification for English schools, but WJEC-CBAC did examine their revised A-level in Wales for first time in 2018. The dynamic was the same: the most able candidates entering in Year 12, largely as a stepping stone to A-level Further Mathematics in 2019.

The raw mark grade boundaries were (detailed UMS conversion on www.wjecservices.co.uk/marktoums):
Paper 1 Pure (max 120) - A075 B063 C052 D041 E030
Paper 2 Applied (max 75) - A044 B037 C031 D025 E019
Paper 3 Pure (max 120) - A071 B061 C051 D041 E032
Paper 4 Applied (max 80) - A046 B039 C032 D025 E019

A mere 128 candidates at 19 centres entered the full revised A-level (all four papers above), and achieved the following cumulative grades:
A* 20.3, A 50.0, B 65.6, C 77.3, D 89.8, E 93.0, U 100

The revised AS (papers 1 and 2 above) was sat by 3,726 candidates at 147 centres who were awarded as follows.
A 31.9, B 46.6, C 60.5, D 73.3, E 84.1, U 100

The revised spec AS for WJEC-CBAC Further Mathematics was also sat for the first time in 2018.
Paper 1 Pure (max 70) - A045 B039 C034 D029 E024
Paper 2 Statistics (max 70) - A044 B038 C033 D028 E023
Paper 3 Mechanics (max 70) - A036 B031 C026 D021 E016

This qualification attracted 323 applicants at 59 centres, and their cumulative results were:
A 44.0, B 58.8, C 72.1, D 82.0, E 90.7, U 100

The revised FM A-level is examined for the first time in June.
Fighter365
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The 2018 applied papers were quite hard compared to the old spec
学生の父
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Fighter365)
The 2018 applied papers were quite hard compared to the old spec
Which board was that?
Fighter365
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 学生の父)
Which board was that?
Edexcel. Hardly anyone got above 50%
Sir Cumference
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
For mechanics I don’t think any of the questions were harder than old M2 but I’m guessing that most students werent prepared for M2 difficulty questions appearing. People need to remember that the difficulty of new A Level exams is definitely going to be higher than old AS modules (like M1).

Stats did seem harder and the worst thing is that S1/S2 papers aren’t really useful at all.
username4460696
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I got 83% on the stats section and the smartest person in the year got 62% (most people did badly and got ~40%). That one stats question (edexcel) which was using given that probabilities in normal distribution was ridiculously hard. No exercise in the textbook mirrors that sort of difficulty.
username4460696
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Notnek)
For mechanics I don’t think any of the questions were harder than old M2 but I’m guessing that most students werent prepared for M2 difficulty questions appearing. People need to remember that the difficulty of new A Level exams is definitely going to be higher than old AS modules (like M1).

Stats did seem harder and the worst thing is that S1/S2 papers aren’t really useful at all.
Stats wasn’t that bad personally apart from that hard normal distribution question. What I’ve learnt is revise the hell out of the large data set because that could be a differential factor for the A*/A students. That first question was a hard application of the LDS.

I agree that the past papers old spec don’t help for stats but there’s other resources for new spec (what I use) such as: unit tests, kerboodle tests, CGP workbook. But no question I did mirrored the difficulty of the normal distribution Q

so what I am thinking is that for these hard application questions on stats it is vital to understand the underlying topics, a strong understanding means you’ll be more likely to answer the harder Q, so it’s not always about doing many practice Q for this new spec maths?
do you recommend doing step/Olympiad papers to prepare for the maths exam to push myself?? (As I’m aiming for an A*) 🙂
Last edited by username4460696; 1 year ago
That 36 Boy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
May i ask how you access the maths orchard cause when i go there it asks for password 🤔
My teacher took half the stats questions from the 2018 paper but changed them up a bit, and he made up the other half himself.

I do the exercise questions in the book first before doing other practice questions.
My exam board is AQA, but I use the papers on Physics&MathsTutor like the Edexcel Gold Papers and the Solomon Papers. I also use CrashMaths, IntegralMaths, MadasMaths, some Kerboodle exam papers that my teacher gave us, https://mathsorchard.weebly.com/ and DrFrostMaths.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (94)
13.88%
I'm not sure (32)
4.73%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (214)
31.61%
I have already dropped out (15)
2.22%
I'm not a current university student (322)
47.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise