Should I stick it out or drop out and reapply? Watch

boopityboop
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi, so I am in second year and basically dislike everything about my uni and my course. I am at a very low ranked uni that holds its classes in the evenings and is aimed at mature students so there is no social life as people are working and have other commitments. It’s pleasant enough, but you do the lecture and go home basically.

Then there’s the course, I studied Languages in my first year but felt like I would struggle at a higher level so ended up swapping to English to go straight into second year (they allow this for humanities students who pass their first year). I only chose English as it was the only course that allowed this to be honest. I’m getting on better with English than with Languages but honestly have no real passion for it and am just trying to get by.

So I am now on a course I don’t like (but is manageable and I could pass) and at a uni I don’t like that employers likely don’t regard highely.

I feel very trapped and like I have no idea what to do and really need some advice. I am 22, so already 3 years behind in life due to health problems. Applying elsewhere would mean starting when I am 23. It would also mean a year long gap on my CV as I didn’t work during my first year (I do now). I also am not sure what unis would take me as I would have to apply on the strength of my years at uni/work experience rather than the traditional A Level criteria as I have an A and a D at A level (again, health problems).

I really don’t know if having the traditional student experience at a well regarded uni is just a pipe dream that I should let go or whether it is worth pursuing. I am aware that i’d have to self fund one year which is possible but obviously not ideal.

Ugh I’m so stuck: what would you do? Start again and do it properly or just get it over with and move on?

Thanks for any advice - I really need it!!
harrysbar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by boopityboop)
Hi, so I am in second year and basically dislike everything about my uni and my course. I am at a very low ranked uni that holds its classes in the evenings and is aimed at mature students so there is no social life as people are working and have other commitments. It’s pleasant enough, but you do the lecture and go home basically.

Then there’s the course, I studied Languages in my first year but felt like I would struggle at a higher level so ended up swapping to English to go straight into second year (they allow this for humanities students who pass their first year). I only chose English as it was the only course that allowed this to be honest. I’m getting on better with English than with Languages but honestly have no real passion for it and am just trying to get by.

So I am now on a course I don’t like (but is manageable and I could pass) and at a uni I don’t like that employers likely don’t regard highely.

I feel very trapped and like I have no idea what to do and really need some advice. I am 22, so already 3 years behind in life due to health problems. Applying elsewhere would mean starting when I am 23. It would also mean a year long gap on my CV as I didn’t work during my first year (I do now). I also am not sure what unis would take me as I would have to apply on the strength of my years at uni/work experience rather than the traditional A Level criteria as I have an A and a D at A level (again, health problems).

I really don’t know if having the traditional student experience at a well regarded uni is just a pipe dream that I should let go or whether it is worth pursuing. I am aware that i’d have to self fund one year which is possible but obviously not ideal.

Ugh I’m so stuck: what would you do? Start again and do it properly or just get it over with and move on?

Thanks for any advice - I really need it!!
Personally, I think I would just stick it out since you are already halfway through second year, and think you can pass your course. You only really have to put up with it until Easter and then it's almost exam time - then 2nd year is complete.

It sounds like you have regrets about not picking a different uni but maybe you could consider doing a Masters somewhere better? That sounds more sensible than going back to square one
SJW-
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
do u have any idea of what career youre interested in? maybe the answer then is to work out that, then work back to find what u actually need to get there. if u need the degree to get into that industry then stay on. if dont consider quitting and get a entry level job in that field. my concern for u is that ur just gonna aquire more debt, waste more time. all for a weak degree from a third rate uni
boopityboop
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by harrysbar)
Personally, I think I would just stick it out since you are already halfway through second year, and think you can pass your course. You only really have to put up with it until Easter and then it's almost exam time - then 2nd year is complete.

It sounds like you have regrets about not picking a different uni but maybe you could consider doing a Masters somewhere better? That sounds more sensible than going back to square one
Going back to square one does scare me a lot, especially since there are no guarantees it would even be worth it! Yeah maybe a masters elsewhere would be a good idea. Thanks 😊
boopityboop
Rep:
?
(Original post by SJW-)
do u have any idea of what career youre interested in? maybe the answer then is to work out that, then work back to find what u actually need to get there. if u need the degree to get into that industry then stay on. if dont consider quitting and get a entry level job in that field. my concern for u is that ur just gonna aquire more debt, waste more time. all for a weak degree from a third rate uni
I honesty don’t know. Which I suppose makes reapplying to study something else sound a bit ridiculous when I don’t even have a particular direction. My main reasons for transferring would be to have a proper student experience, to go somewhere more reputable and employable, and to study something I enjoy more (but not with a certain career in mind), but whether these things alone are worth it I don’t know.
sammyj97
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Stick it out. By this time next year you’ll be graduating. If you’re on student finance you won’t get funding for the 2nd degree so unless you having savings etc. it’s a bad idea. You could always consider doing another degree after?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
boopityboop
Rep:
?
I wonder if anyone knows how higher ranking unis would view me as a candidate? Would being a mature student (22), having work experience and 2 years at uni be enough for me to be considered or would they still expect the normal A Level requirements? I mean if I’ve got no chance of getting in anywhere that’s my decision made for me hahaha
SJW-
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by boopityboop)
I honesty don’t know. Which I suppose makes reapplying to study something else sound a bit ridiculous when I don’t even have a particular direction. My main reasons for transferring would be to have a proper student experience, to go somewhere more reputable and employable, and to study something I enjoy more (but not with a certain career in mind), but whether these things alone are worth it I don’t know.
could do a conversion course masters
Ryan_Clarke
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
It’s a whole lot of money to be not making the most of it.

I dropped out of medicine 3rd year, am now back redoing my A-Levels to enter a different field and will return to uni at 24.

I hated the course and refused to pay tens of thousands to be miserable
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Humanities; Department of Drama, Theatre and Performance; Department of Social Sciences; Department of English and Creative Writing Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Keele University
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19

Do unconditional offers make teenagers lazy?

Yes (150)
59.06%
No (104)
40.94%

Watched Threads