The Student Room Group

Katy Perry's 'black face' shoes!?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mgi
No. You just don't understand the argument. Her action just shows her political ignorance of racial matters. Who decided anyway that she isn't 'openly racist'? i presume you don't know her?

Like someone previously mentioned, she's been an advocate for BLM and is apparently very liberal. If she's gone through so much effort to portray herself in this way, why would she all of a sudden think "I'm going to do something racist!" and **** it all up? It makes absolutely no sense. Being racist was obviously not her intention, although maybe she should have paid more attention to how sensitive everyone is nowadays.
Reply 41
Original post by tealeavees
Like someone previously mentioned, she's been an advocate for BLM and is apparently very liberal. If she's gone through so much effort to portray herself in this way, why would she all of a sudden think "I'm going to do something racist!" and **** it all up? It makes absolutely no sense. Being racist was obviously not her intention, although maybe she should have paid more attention to how sensitive everyone is nowadays.

Yes. Because racism does not have to be intentional does it! People are right to be sensitive about racism because it is an abuse of human rights.
Original post by mgi
Yes. Because racism does not have to be intentional does it! People are right to be sensitive about racism because it is an abuse of human rights.

What do you think should happen to someone who openly supports the rights of black people, but designs crappy shoes that you are offended by?
Original post by (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ
DzJBINJW0AIITgI.jpg

😂😂😂😂😂

F*cking hilarious
If you listen very carefully, you can actually hear society crumbling..
Reply 45
Original post by ThomH97
What do you think should happen to someone who openly supports the rights of black people, but designs crappy shoes that you are offended by?

Give me some examples of when a white lady such as Katy Perry "openly supports the rights of black people " You mean to tell me she is a black civil rights campaigner??
Reply 46
Original post by tealeavees

An advocate for the rights of black people? really? seriously?
Original post by mgi
Give me some examples of when a white lady such as Katy Perry "openly supports the rights of black people " You mean to tell me she is a black civil rights campaigner??

What do you think should happen to her?
Reply 48
Original post by ThomH97
What do you think should happen to her?

You could address the questions in my previous post about Katy Perry, the black civil rights campaigner??!. What should happen to her? Nothing did happen to her. What happened to those people who racially abuse black footballers in public arenas? Nothing much!
Original post by mgi
You could address the questions in my previous post about Katy Perry, the black civil rights campaigner??!. What should happen to her? Nothing did happen to her. What happened to those people who racially abuse black footballers in public arenas? Nothing much!

I don't think anything should happen to her. What do you think should happen to her?
Reply 50
Original post by ThomH97
I don't think anything should happen to her. What do you think should happen to her?

I think nothing else should happen to her if she has understood why some people from particular may have a problem with the issue; this is not a witch hunt. I notice that those people who were trying to make out that Katy Perry was somehow a white liberal champion of black civil rights are now silent; fake claims i am sure. Whenever, black people make obvious and legitimate complaints about derogatory racist behaviour of white people someone, often white, looks for an alternative explanation to the obvious e.g good nice white people in well paid jobs coming from nice family backgrounds couldn't be racist could they especially if they have met or seen a black person. Every white racist seems to have a black friend or family nember.
So Katy Perry is the white liberal pop star whom some tsr posters have decided ,without meeting her or providing any credible evidence that she champions black rights, have decided that she couldn't possibly have racist attitudes. Ridiculous and' suspicious'
They look stupid as hell, but I wouldnt say they were racist.
Reply 52
Original post by MidgetFever
They look stupid as hell, but I wouldnt say they were racist.

ok. but you would need to be more informed about the 'minstrels 'story and also Dutch ' black face'. You may then see why some find her endorsement of the shoes to be somewhat dubious to say the least!
Original post by mgi
ok. but you would need to be more informed about the 'minstrels 'story and also Dutch ' black face'. You may then see why some find her endorsement of the shoes to be somewhat dubious to say the least!

Don't get me wrong, I can see why some people find it offensive. On the other side, the "lighter" version that I'm assuming represents white people doesn't offend me. So why should the "darker" version offend others? There's nothing about the shoes that actually suggest any racist connotations, they're merely shoes.

For the record, I have heard about the Dutch "black face" tradition, though I would admit that I was somewhat surprised, but that I feel is because it genuinely does have some hint of negative connotations behind it.
Original post by mgi
I think nothing else should happen to her if she has understood why some people from particular may have a problem with the issue; this is not a witch hunt. I notice that those people who were trying to make out that Katy Perry was somehow a white liberal champion of black civil rights are now silent; fake claims i am sure. Whenever, black people make obvious and legitimate complaints about derogatory racist behaviour of white people someone, often white, looks for an alternative explanation to the obvious e.g good nice white people in well paid jobs coming from nice family backgrounds couldn't be racist could they especially if they have met or seen a black person. Every white racist seems to have a black friend or family nember.
So Katy Perry is the white liberal pop star whom some tsr posters have decided ,without meeting her or providing any credible evidence that she champions black rights, have decided that she couldn't possibly have racist attitudes. Ridiculous and' suspicious'

It does seem like a witch hunt. Rather than looking at context and likely reasoning, people have jumped on something because there is the slightest possibility of racism.

The shoes clearly haven't harmed anyone in any meaningful way, and nor does Perry have the background that would make intent likely. Why not give her the benefit of the doubt rather than attack her?
Reply 55
Original post by ThomH97
It does seem like a witch hunt. Rather than looking at context and likely reasoning, people have jumped on something because there is the slightest possibility of racism.

The shoes clearly haven't harmed anyone in any meaningful way, and nor does Perry have the background that would make intent likely. Why not give her the benefit of the doubt rather than attack her?

Can you see though how loaded the statements are in your second paragraph? What exactly has intent or no intent really got to do with the effects of racism. It is definitely not the legal test for racism in British courts. You have decided that Katy Perry's background exonerates her of the possibility of her being racist. Do you see the problem with this? Can 'nice white people from nice families with nice jobs who usually say nice things' be racist? clearly you say no- but why couldn't they be? Again , it is not considered relevant in law either . Also, we can't give possible racism the 'benefit of the doubt '. A white privilege society media will always try to pretend that racism should be played down because its perpetrators benefit economically from its propagation but not so much if it is challenged. A famous example is the Montgomery bus boycotts in America many years ago.
Original post by mgi
Can you see though how loaded the statements are in your second paragraph? What exactly has intent or no intent really got to do with the effects of racism. It is definitely not the legal test for racism in British courts. You have decided that Katy Perry's background exonerates her of the possibility of her being racist. Do you see the problem with this? Can 'nice white people from nice families with nice jobs who usually say nice things' be racist? clearly you say no- but why couldn't they be? Again , it is not considered relevant in law either . Also, we can't give possible racism the 'benefit of the doubt '. A white privilege society media will always try to pretend that racism should be played down because its perpetrators benefit economically from its propagation but not so much if it is challenged. A famous example is the Montgomery bus boycotts in America many years ago.

I'm not saying for certain she's not racist, that's you misrepresenting my words. Rather, I feel that given there was no real harm (and apparently black women want tights and other clothes in their skin tone), and that it is unlikely (as with pretty much everyone) Perry wants to subjugate black people, I'd give her the benefit of the doubt. Clearly she's not thinking straight if she puts her name to such fugly shoes, whatever the colour.
Reply 57
Original post by ThomH97
I'm not saying for certain she's not racist, that's you misrepresenting my words. Rather, I feel that given there was no real harm (and apparently black women want tights and other clothes in their skin tone), and that it is unlikely (as with pretty much everyone) Perry wants to subjugate black people, I'd give her the benefit of the doubt. Clearly she's not thinking straight if she puts her name to such fugly shoes, whatever the colour.

Yes i would agree with pretty much all of what you just said but i personally am very cautious about what i call the 'intentionality and nice person' argument. People can have racist attitudes and behaviours without necessarily intending them or any harm. But that does not mean that their actions should not be questioned- whether they are intentional or not. Thats why we still apologise to people for saying something to them that really hurt them even though we had no intention of hurting them! And hopefully we learn from the experience. That's why katy Perry, perhaps, withdrew the shoes?
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending