university selection Watch

krystal098
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Which university is better for Msc in Space Technology/engineering?
UCD or Southampton university or Surrey university...
Smack
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by krystal098)
Which university is better for Msc in Space Technology/engineering?
UCD or Southampton university or Surrey university...
What university is UCD?
krystal098
Rep:
?
(Original post by Smack)
What university is UCD?
University college Dublin(Ireland)
Doones
  • Section Leader
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by krystal098)
University college Dublin(Ireland)
Which one has the course you prefer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Smack
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Which university has the best links with the space industry? That'd probably be the best place to study that degree.
krystal098
Rep:
?
(Original post by Doonesbury)
Which one has the course you prefer?

from TSR Mobile
All the universities have modules that are quite intriguing and therefore I am confused! I am not aware of the insight of those courses, experiences in the particular university.
LuigiMario
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Surrey happened to employ this chap who almost single-handedly made the university an amazingly innovative Space centre, with SSTL spin-off.
https://www.surrey.ac.uk/people/martin-sweeting

from an old article: How it started
I wanted to ask about how it all started. Having first studied for his bachelor's degree in Electronic Engineering at Surrey University in the UK, he went on to complete a PhD in Communications, researching HF antennas which is a long way from satellite communications. "How did you move from HF into satellite communications; it's something of a jump?"

Agreeing, he replied: "Being a child of the '60s with a background of the Moon landing and films such as 2001, as well as an interest in amateur radio, satellite technology has enabled me to combine both interests. I started by using home-made equipment and spent about five years tracking satellites using some of the first microcomputers which enabled me to display images on VDUs rather than using wet paper facsimile printing, the standard at the time."

Asking about the first satellite that he launched he replied: "At the time the UK [government] satellite programme had just been axed and the only satellites being launched, both amateur and professional were from outside the UK, so I wondered why we couldn't build one ourselves and also provide something different for the amateur and educational field. We wanted to incorporate some imagery using the very first 2-D CCDs with some rudimentary on-board digital signal processing. We also wanted to have a digital voice synthesizer to 'speak' telemetry data for reception by schools."

"To keep the costs down, we used many commercial parts rather than the highly expensive space-qualified parts." "These early satellites were all built at the University of Surrey, but we still had to raise money and support from outside. We successfully launched this first satellite piggyback on a NASA rocket and its signals were received by many schools and radio amateurs. This satellite worked for eight years until its orbit decayed and it burned up in the Earth's atmosphere - we monitored the temperature increasing until finally we lost all communication" "We were then offered a second launch slot by NASA - but the satellite had to be designed and built within six months - it took many long nights and weekends but we did it. This satellite is still transmitting signals today, some 26 years later!"

So that's Surrey, led by Professor Sir Martin, and the world-class teams that he has inspired over the years. He basically sent an iPod/iPhone into space as a nano-sat (from my limited perspective), but he did this at a time when the UK gov had given up!

Whilst UCD is maybe a bit cheaper ('not exactly sure) and is probably the best engineering university in Ireland, a great place, a fairly nice campus nearly outside of Dublin. Accommodation very expensive in Dublin at present, two friends there were 'evicted' (twice!) from price controlled rents, as the landlords needed to 'make property improvements' (a coat of paint) and put the student flat back on the market with ten percent higher rents, that happened twice this year to one friend, and once to the other. Is MSc first year usually in halls at UCD?, so you'd hopefully get a year to follow/understand the market.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (30)
12.88%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (21)
9.01%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (50)
21.46%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (34)
14.59%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (29)
12.45%
How can I be the best version of myself? (69)
29.61%

Watched Threads