Employability and future job Watch

RaduPrata
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Hi,
So currently I am in Stage 2 chemistry at university. Unfortunately I do not have much of a work history and I'm really struggling to find ways to make myself more employable for a future job. I am really interested in organic synthesis(mostly lab work) and I want to do things on the side to make myself more employable for the future. What sort of things could I do? Anyone currently working in synthesis have any tips?
Thanks
cheesecakelove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by RaduPrata)
Hi,
So currently I am in Stage 2 chemistry at university. Unfortunately I do not have much of a work history and I'm really struggling to find ways to make myself more employable for a future job. I am really interested in organic synthesis(mostly lab work) and I want to do things on the side to make myself more employable for the future. What sort of things could I do? Anyone currently working in synthesis have any tips?
Thanks
Do you have a placement year in your degree? It might be worth talking to current students and your personal tutor about things you could do in terms of work experience related to the field you want to go in. Your fellow students might inspire you in terms of ideas you want to do, and your personal tutor should be able to give you more information about how to apply, where to apply, what kind of roles, etc.

In terms of transferrable skills, you could look to do part time work to show you have work skills, are reliable, have good communication skills and can work well in a team. You could also consider roles within a society committee and volunteering, or other positions of responsibility. Whilst not directly related to synthesis, it does show your practical skills and good initiative, which employers are always looking for.
vickybanham
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hi,
Thanks
Hey! Have you considered tutoring? There's an agency called Dorkaid who pair university students with younger pupils who are struggling! Each session happens over skype and you can have as many or as few as you can manage. It's a great thing to have on the CV! Let me know if you're interested, I can forward you the link!
Dwights7
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Hi,
Thanks
you'd be surprised but for someone taking course like yours(STEM) most employers will look at your grades and track record. work experiences is of course better but its not something you should stress yourself with too much. a good place to start is local work agencies, although it might not be as consistent as you may want it can certainly give you experience.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (86)
68.8%
No I haven't decided yet (23)
18.4%
Yes but I might change my mind (16)
12.8%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed