Feels like nobody wants to employ me Watch

SoftGingerCat
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
i lost my job in November and since I'm still in sixth form I took some time off and started applying for jobs in January. Between then and now I have applied for twenty jobs in a number of different ways and not a single place as got back to me. I've been checking my email daily and I haven't ever had anything. I have applied for all the local jobs in my area that i could qualify for and I can't go much further because I can't drive yet. It just feels like I'm never going to be employed again and I don't understand why me, and quite a few of my friends, can't get a job. Is it me personally?
Nimsy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I am in the same situation really. I don't have much work experience other than working with children due to my work placement and I am at college. I don't know what the reason was for, for losing your job, whether it was on you or them but you'd probably have to explain that to the employer if you eventually get an interview. Job searching is a huge grind but if you do want a job then you have to keep searching and not let it get you down. All I can say to you is if you don't have much experience, then try volunteer somewhere that you're interested in. Other than that, fast food jobs are a possibility if you can handle the pressure and they are always recruiting. Obviously you don't have to work at a fast food joint forever but it can be maybe 6 months as I am told, employers would admire you for working in a place like that because they wouldn't last.
Last edited by Nimsy; 1 month ago
Emma:-)
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by SoftGingerCat)
i lost my job in November and since I'm still in sixth form I took some time off and started applying for jobs in January. Between then and now I have applied for twenty jobs in a number of different ways and not a single place as got back to me. I've been checking my email daily and I haven't ever had anything. I have applied for all the local jobs in my area that i could qualify for and I can't go much further because I can't drive yet. It just feels like I'm never going to be employed again and I don't understand why me, and quite a few of my friends, can't get a job. Is it me personally?
Its not just you, quite a few are in the same boat as you cant get a job without experience, but you cant get experience without a job.
Try places like mcdonalds, they take on a lot of students.
Ask if any friends or relatives have vacancies where they work, its sometimes not what you know but who you know.

How come you lost your last job?
harrysbar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It's not you, it's just the crappy job market
hallamstudents
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey,

Don't worry lots of people have this problem so your not on your own! Have you chased any of them up? This shows initiative so would be good if you could contact them and show your keen as well. Also maybe get your family/friends to look over you applications to see if your on the right page.
Good Luck!!
Sophia
SoftGingerCat
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Nimsy)
I am in the same situation really. I don't have much work experience other than working with children due to my work placement and I am at college. I don't know what the reason was for, for losing your job, whether it was on you or them but you'd probably have to explain that to the employer if you eventually get an interview. Job searching is a huge grind but if you do want a job then you have to keep searching and not let it get you down. All I can say to you is if you don't have much experience, then try volunteer somewhere that you're interested in. Other than that, fast food jobs are a possibility if you can handle the pressure and they are always recruiting. Obviously you don't have to work at a fast food joint forever but it can be maybe 6 months as I am told, employers would admire you for working in a place like that because they wouldn't last.
I have a few friends who work in fast food so maybe I'll try applying in places like that. It's nice to know I'm not the only one going through this alone tho. I do a lot of volunteering at school so maybe I should try outside of school like at charities and animal shelters? I've heard of some people doing that.
SoftGingerCat
Rep:
?
(Original post by Emma:-))
Its not just you, quite a few are in the same boat as you cant get a job without experience, but you cant get experience without a job.
Try places like mcdonalds, they take on a lot of students.
Ask if any friends or relatives have vacancies where they work, its sometimes not what you know but who you know.

How come you lost your last job?
I lost my last job because I didn't get along with my co-workers and because I wasn't a favourite with the manager it never got checked out properly and one day my E45 (whatever the last payment letter thing is called) turned up in the post. It wasn't like physical but my co-workers never really told me what to do or they would have completely different ways of doing things (meaning i would get in trouble if I was doing something Peter's way but Matthew was working that day (example)) and as soon as I walked into a room for break or something they would immediately stop talking or leave. I tried to make friends but they had all known each other for a long time and no matter what I did it didn't seem to meet their expectations. None of them would talk to me and I started dreading going to work and had a cry in one of a shifts which didn't go down very well.
SoftGingerCat
Rep:
?
(Original post by hallamstudents)
Hey,

Don't worry lots of people have this problem so your not on your own! Have you chased any of them up? This shows initiative so would be good if you could contact them and show your keen as well. Also maybe get your family/friends to look over you applications to see if your on the right page.
Good Luck!!
Sophia
I did actually just get in an interview invitation a few days ago and I forgot to update this thread! Thank you for everyone for your support and hopefully, even if I don't get the job, is will go well for me. Good luck for anyone else looking as well tho!
Professional G
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I can relate to this as someone who applied to nearly 20 jobs two summers ago and got rejected by all of them. Don’t worry much. Ask friends if they could help. Look up resources online and try your best

* just saw you got a interview. Congrats, hopefully you’ll get the job
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
SoftGingerCat
Rep:
?
(Original post by Professional G)
I can relate to this as someone who applied to nearly 20 jobs two summers ago and got rejected by all of them. Don’t worry much. Ask friends if they could help. Look up resources online and try your best

Thank you so much! I'll try not to worry and if this interview doesn't go so well I'll do what you said and ask friends and use resources online.
SoftGingerCat
Rep:
?

(I'm trying to give you rep but the website isn't letting me btw, I swear I'm not ignoring you)
Professional G
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(I'm trying to give you rep but the website isn't letting me btw, I swear I'm not ignoring you)
It’s okay lol. I think it’s cause you have given me rep recently. I don’t mind anyway. Good luck in your interview
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
SoftGingerCat
Rep:
?
It’s okay lol. I think it’s cause you have given me rep recently. I don’t mind anyway. Good luck in your interview
Thank you!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (166)
18.55%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (91)
10.17%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (148)
16.54%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (131)
14.64%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (85)
9.5%
How can I be the best version of myself? (274)
30.61%

Watched Threads