The Student Room Group

Did awfully in my mock exams. How to turn it around?

I've just got my results back today of DEE in my mocks which I'm beyond disappointed with. I understand it's because I slacked of all of AS year (got CCEE) and some of A2, but I really want to turn it around. I need BBC minimum to get into my preferred uni and I'm very keen on not retaking. I've been revising as of last weekend but I just want some advice from top students.

My plan so far is:
-Get tutors for each subject
-Go to every extra catchup/revision session
-Go to weekend revision
-Revise during tutorial and free periods
-Make sure I fully understand exam technique and content.
-Have a full page of notes on every topic per subject in my folder
-Read/Watch/Listen to things for contemporary knowledge
-Read more often recreationally
-Continue gym schedule
-Make a revision timetable
-Do past papers
-Make an essay plan for each possible essay question

Are there any other tips I can add, or anything that I should change? I really want to do well in my A Levels. Thank you.
Original post by approvalparakeet
I've just got my results back today of DEE in my mocks which I'm beyond disappointed with. I understand it's because I slacked of all of AS year (got CCEE) and some of A2, but I really want to turn it around. I need BBC minimum to get into my preferred uni and I'm very keen on not retaking. I've been revising as of last weekend but I just want some advice from top students.

My plan so far is:
-Get tutors for each subject
-Go to every extra catchup/revision session
-Go to weekend revision
-Revise during tutorial and free periods
-Make sure I fully understand exam technique and content.
-Have a full page of notes on every topic per subject in my folder
-Read/Watch/Listen to things for contemporary knowledge
-Read more often recreationally
-Continue gym schedule
-Make a revision timetable
-Do past papers
-Make an essay plan for each possible essay question

Are there any other tips I can add, or anything that I should change? I really want to do well in my A Levels. Thank you.

You have covered a lot of the tips I would have given you. Just to consider, it could help if you resit earlier modules (if this is a possible option for you) to boost your final grade. Generally, keep on track with what you have decided to do. Most of it will come down to your understanding of the topic and how your exam technique is, so make sure you cover and understand everything (if you are struggling, ask your teacher for more advice). The more exam practice you get in, the better - it can also help you identify your weaker areas that need more work. You may wish to sit an exam in mock conditions (i.e. no music/tv, in silence, without your textbook and notes and under time conditions) to practice your time management.

Best of luck!
Original post by cheesecakelove
You have covered a lot of the tips I would have given you. Just to consider, it could help if you resit earlier modules (if this is a possible option for you) to boost your final grade. Generally, keep on track with what you have decided to do. Most of it will come down to your understanding of the topic and how your exam technique is, so make sure you cover and understand everything (if you are struggling, ask your teacher for more advice). The more exam practice you get in, the better - it can also help you identify your weaker areas that need more work. You may wish to sit an exam in mock conditions (i.e. no music/tv, in silence, without your textbook and notes and under time conditions) to practice your time management.

Best of luck!

Thank you. I'll try my best and hope I do well.

Quick Reply

Latest