Has anyone took time out of medical school? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I have just completed my preclinical medical degree in 2018 at 2.1 grade. I'm now in year 4 out of 6 (first year of clinical) and to be honest, I've had niggling doubts the whole way along whether this career is for me. I'm considering taking a year out to reassess my life and may choose to enter a graduate job after this time using my preclinical degree or pursue further study in an unrelated subject. Does anyone have any experiences they can share with me? I have been very depressed over this recently.

Thanks

J
ecolier
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I have just completed my preclinical medical degree in 2018 at 2.1 grade. I'm now in year 4 out of 6 (first year of clinical) and to be honest, I've had niggling doubts the whole way along whether this career is for me. I'm considering taking a year out to reassess my life and may choose to enter a graduate job after this time using my preclinical degree or pursue further study in an unrelated subject. Does anyone have any experiences they can share with me? I have been very depressed over this recently.

Thanks

J
I personally haven't but know a few who have. Perhaps have a look over at https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=356 because there are definitely posters who mentioned this before.

Have you spoken to the Uni's student support team, first of all?
ltsmith
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
op are you at st andrews?
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
(Original post by ltsmith)
op are you at st andrews?
No, why?
hslakaal
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Have taken 2 years out between preclin and clin. Not cuz of doubts about course but have done so.

Most places will have policies on how to apply for interruption of studies. There should usually be little restriction if it's for 1 year - 2 years might be a bit more challenging, but not impossible.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
(Original post by hslakaal)
Have taken 2 years out between preclin and clin. Not cuz of doubts about course but have done so.

Most places will have policies on how to apply for interruption of studies. There should usually be little restriction if it's for 1 year - 2 years might be a bit more challenging, but not impossible.
What were your reasons, if you don't mind me asking?
hslakaal
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
What were your reasons, if you don't mind me asking
Military service
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Humanities; Department of Drama, Theatre and Performance; Department of Social Sciences; Department of English and Creative Writing Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Keele University
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19

Do unconditional offers make teenagers lazy?

Yes (216)
60.17%
No (143)
39.83%

Watched Threads