World Cup 1966 Winner Gordon Banks dies aged 81 Watch

Sharpshooter
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Sad news

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47196017

Arguably England's greatest ever goalkeeper, of course no one here was old enough to see him play but every time a 66 winner dies it feels a like a war hero dying.

A lot of people go on about 'THAT SAVE' which is probably a fraction overhyped, but it was against one of the games GOATs in the peak of his powers in a World Cup Quarterfinal against an legendary side, so understandable the hype it gets, especially more so seeing it live at the time.

Surprised he didn't ever play for a top club? Helped win Stoke's only trophy (League Cup in 1972) which he won also won with Leicester in 1964.
moggis
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Glad to see you say the save was a bit overhyped.Never seen anyone say that before.
In fact that save must be the most overrated save of all time .
First of all it wasn’t as if he was wrong footed and had to correct himself . He was in the correct position .
Secondly it was absolutely clear what Pele was going to do.
The really tricky part was that the ball was travelling upwards at speed.
Banks did the only thing he could do . He used his arm and luckily the ball flew over the goal partly because of the momentum it already had.
Not saying it wasn’t a good save of course but it was just instinct and it could easily have still gone in.
But geez ,if it hadn’t had been in the first colour World Cup and between Brazil and the World Champions it would have been largely forgotten.
In those days I suspect the wages you got for playing for a top club wouldn’t have been thst much better and anyway the top English clubs all had decent goalies of their own .
Clemence,Jennings ,Stepney ,Sprake ,Wilson etc
Last edited by moggis; 1 month ago
NJA
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Is his brother Robin still inside?
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Sharpshooter)
no one here was old enough to see him play b
That is a bold assumption. Many are, and I went to matches in the '66 world cup tournament.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (129)
17.94%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (73)
10.15%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (124)
17.25%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (104)
14.46%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (70)
9.74%
How can I be the best version of myself? (219)
30.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed