The Student Room Group

English Language paper 1 question 3

how will I answer question 3 (paper 1) much easier?
This is a structure question, so you want to be getting as many technical terms to do with STRUCTURE (not language, many students end up doing that at my school lol) as possible. Edit: see below, you have to expand on the terms btw :smile:

Think of the structure of the story as this mountain or hill (if that makes any sense haha):

Exposition, which means the description (describing the setting etc) / The beginning

Rising action (self explanatory)

Climax

Falling action (self explanatory)

Denouément - meaning the final part/ending

You also want to be zooming in to focus on particular words. When you're stuck, ask yourself why the writer specifically chose that word rather than something more simple.

Have some evidence of the sentences you're talking about, but don't delve into the language, just how it makes the story flow.

Talk about the wider perspective.

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS use the effect on the reader! :rofl:

Hopefully all of that gibberish makes sense, PM me if you want any more help x
(edited 5 years ago)
Just seen that you've joined TSR today, welcome! :wavey:

You might be in the GCSE forums, which are all here.

We also have threads for each Year. I'm presuming you're in Year 11 like me, so come and say hello on the thread here. Or if you're in Year 10, the official thread is here.

:biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by RazzzBerries
This is a structure question, so you want to be getting as many technical terms to do with STRUCTURE (not language, many students end up doing that at my school lol) as possible.

Do you really? You want the analysis to be as deep as possible. The analysis is what shows the 'sophisticated and accurate use'. The technical terms on their own are honestly barely worth anything. I think you want the accurate subject-specific terminology, but the examiner does not want to be inundated with some technical crap.
(edited 5 years ago)
I got full marks on question 3. All you have to do is think of it like building blocks, think why did the writer put it like this and what's the effect of doing so.

Let me give you an example

Initially, at the beginning of the extract the writer focuses us on how the jungle was 'full of laughter' but then he almost contradicts this by saying it was 'full of spikes'. The writer deliberately launches the reader in the problem of the story. This creates an unsettling atmosphere and he may have done this to show the mental state of the character and how they are worried about living here..
Original post by Tolgarda
Do you really? You want the analysis to be as deep as possible. The analysis is what shows the 'sophisticated and accurate use'. The technical terms on their own are honestly barely worth anything. I think you want the accurate subject-specific terminology, but the examiner does not want to be inundated with some technical crap.

True!

For those with AQA, Q3 is the structure question so you basically have to chuck in all the structure based terms WITH an explanation/analysis of how it's actually relevant to the text, like you said. I probably didn't make that specific enough :facepalm:

I've just realised that I assumed OP is with AQA, because if not then I may have just given irrelevant advice...
Reply 6
Original post by RazzzBerries
True!

For those with AQA, Q3 is the structure question so you basically have to chuck in all the structure based terms WITH an explanation/analysis of how it's actually relevant to the text, like you said. I probably didn't make that specific enough :facepalm:

I've just realised that I assumed OP is with AQA, because if not then I may have just given irrelevant advice...

If the OP isn't with AQA, the onus is on them to speak out or forever hold their peace. I used to be a little more irritated over people assuming these things, but depending on the depth of the advice, I think that it definitely doesn't matter too much as the OP can state that they are with a different awarding body.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Tolgarda
If the OP isn't with AQA, the onus is on them to speak out or forever hold their peace.

:rofl:

PRSOM

Quick Reply

Latest