Ah, nice. I did Edexcel.
Paper 1 in literature focuses on the Shakespeare play (Section A) and post-1914 play or prose text that you studied (Section B). The first question is on the Shakespeare play, and it is a forty marker that is divided into two parts: a and b. In part a, you answer a twenty-mark question that is based on an extract from the play, and it targets AO2 (analysis of language, form and structure) only. For part b, you will answer a twenty-mark question which is thematic or character based and concerns the entire play, and that targets AO1 (critical writing style) and AO3 (context). The second question is another forty-mark question on the post-1914 text that you have studied. It targets AO1, AO3 and AO4 (spelling, punctuation and grammar - only worth 20% of the overall marks in this question). This paper is 80 marks and worth 50% of the qualification.
Paper 2 in literature focuses on the 19th-century novel (Section A), the poetry anthology and unseen poetry (both in Section B). The first question is on the 19th-century novel, and it is almost identical to the Shakespeare play question, with the only exception being that part b does not target AO3 (although that analysis can be used to support AO1). The second question is based on the poetry anthology that you've studied and asks the examinee to compare the chosen poem (given in the paper) with a poem of their choice from the anthology on a particular theme (specified in the question). This question targets AO2 and AO3 and is worth twenty marks. In the third and final question, you are asked to compare how two unseen poems present a particular theme. This question targets AO1 and AO2 and is also worth twenty marks. This paper is 80 marks and worth 50% of the qualification.
Paper 1 in language focuses on an excerpt from a fictional, 19th-century text (Section A) and one creative writing task (Section B). There are four questions on the 19th-century excerpt in Section A: the first two are worth three marks in total (Q1 is one mark and Q2 is three marks), and they all target AO1 (understanding implicit and explicit information in the text); the third question is a six marker that focuses on a designated section of the text that is specified in the question (e.g. lines 34-35), and it targets AO2 (analysis of language, form and structure); the final question is an evaluation question that will ask you how the writer successfully achieves a certain theme or aspect of the text (e.g. tension, scary atmosphere, narrator's thoughts etc.), it is purely based on AO4 (the ability to evaluate a text), and it is worth fifteen marks. Section B is one imaginative writing task that can be selected from two questions given, they can either be descriptive or narrative writing tasks (sometimes they could both be either one of them, so be careful). It is a forty-mark question that targets AO5 (composition - your innovation and the articulation of your ideas), which is worth 60% of the question, and the other 40% being AO6 (transcription - your spelling, punctuation and grammar, along with how those are used for effect). This paper is 64 marks in total and worth 40% of the qualification.
Paper 2 in language focuses on two excerpts that are non-fiction and from the 20th and 21st centuries (Section A), and a transaction writing task (Section B). The first three questions in Section A are based on the first excerpt, with question one targeting AO1 (two marks), and questions two (two marks) and three (fifteen marks) targeting AO2. It should be noted that questions one and two focus on designated sections of the text that are specified in the question. The next three questions in Section A are based on the second excerpt: question four targets AO1 (one mark), question five targets AO2 (one mark) and question six targets AO4 (fifteen marks - identical to question four in the first paper). Questions four and five focus on designated parts of the text that are specified in the question. The last question in this section focuses on both texts and is a twenty marker divided into two parts: part a, which is worth six marks and targets AO1 (the ability to synthesise information between texts), and part b, which is worth fourteen marks and targets AO3 (the ability to compare and contrast writers' ideas and perspectives). Section B is one transactional writing task that can be selected from the two questions given, with a range of possible writing tasks that you could get (e.g. letter, magazine article, speech, blog, review etc.). Exactly like Section B of the first paper, it is a forty-mark question that targets AO5, which is worth 60% of the question, and AO6, which is worth 40%. This paper is 96 marks in total and worth 60% of the qualification.
I hope this helps.
Last edited by Tolgarda; 1 week ago