Please Help ASAP- Firm and Insurance Choices Watch

alicerose0507
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
I have an offer from one university whose entry requirements are BBB/BBC. However if I choose to put this as my firm it is an unconditional offer. However there is another Uni I would love to go to however I'm afraid I won't get into it as the requirements are ABB. If I put this as my insurance and do get higher grades, can I go through adjustment and get into the higher grade insurance choice? Or am I tied to the unconditional offer?
I've asked a few people and am still confused so any help would be widely appreciated
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by alicerose0507)
I have an offer from one university whose entry requirements are BBB/BBC. However if I choose to put this as my firm it is an unconditional offer. However there is another Uni I would love to go to however I'm afraid I won't get into it as the requirements are ABB. If I put this as my insurance and do get higher grades, can I go through adjustment and get into the higher grade insurance choice? Or am I tied to the unconditional offer?
I've asked a few people and am still confused so any help would be widely appreciated
If your firm offer is made unconditional then your insurance choice is no longer valid. Even if your BBB/BBC offer wasn’t made unconditional then you would only be able to go to your insurance if you missed those conditions.

Put the university that you would love to go to as your firm. Even if you only get BBB or ABC then there’s still a good chance they will still accept you.

If you also like the BBB/BBC university then it will make a good insurance choice.
BlueEyedGirl_
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Ultimately, the best thing to do is put your favourite university as your firm and then a safe grade university that you still like as your insurance. So I think your best bet is to firm the ABB if that’s your favourite and then BBB/BBC is still a good insurance choice - plus, if they’re offering an unconditional if firm, then chances are they may still take you even if you miss their asking grades (and the ABB uni may also let you in if you miss by a grade or two).

If you firm an unconditional, you will be going to that university on results day - you can get out, but it can be a bit of a long winded process.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Also: this is NOT an ASAP situation. Your deadline is in May. You should NOT be picking your firm/insurance choices on Track until April at the earliest.
SarcAndSpark
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by alicerose0507)
UCAS rules are very vague on this, and historically this has not been allowed. Last year, as I understand it, some people were able to swap choices this way- but it was at the discretion of the unis involved. Some unis may not want to be seen as poaching students in this way- and equally your ABB choice may not have any spaces on result day.

I would suggest putting your ABB choice as your firm as it's where you really want to go, then using your other choice as your insurance. If you firm a uni, there's a chance they may let you in even if you miss your grades, but they won't be able to do this via adjustment if you don't exceed your offer of BBB.

And if you don't get the grades, there's also the option of going through clearing.

ETA: As you sound very unsure, it's probably best to hold off on making any choices- you have long time before you have to choose!
swanseajack1
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
The way the system works is that you choose your firm choice ie the one you want to go to. Before results day universities get the results. If you meet the requirements your in. if you dont meet the requirements your firm universitity then decides whether they still wish to accept you or not. If they decide to accept you go there and your insurance falls. If you dont get accepted by your firm then it goes to your insurance university who will either accept you or place you in clearing so on results day you are either going to your firm, insurance or placed in clearing. There is no choice. With unconditional offers there is no insurance as you have a guaranteed place so you go to that university.

On results day you have 2 choices. If your grades are better than predicted you can apply through adjustment to a different university usually a higher graded university. If you are holding an unconditional offer you cannot use this. Alternatively you can reject your university and ask that university to put you into clearing. You then apply to another university who is accepting applicants. Universities dont rush taking students off and then the best places may have gone. This is basically how it works.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Humanities; Department of Drama, Theatre and Performance; Department of Social Sciences; Department of English and Creative Writing Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Keele University
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19

Do unconditional offers make teenagers lazy?

Yes (83)
57.64%
No (61)
42.36%

Watched Threads