Chi squared undersanding doubt Watch

Stormragexox
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
#1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
#1
Hey guys I have two doubts, for chi squared test what is the difference between the meanings 'difference due to chance' and 'significantly difference'
0
reply
macpatgh-Sheldon
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
#2
Report 1 week ago
#2
Hi, Stormragexox (try to keep tabs over your explosive temper, yeah? !

Let me try and explain this in simple terms. IN any statistical test where you work out a parameter, and then look up its p value in a table (or calculate it e.g. in a paired t test):-

a) the null hypothesis normally states the opposite of what you are trying to prove.
b) so your aim, in order to prove your intended idea, is to prove that the null hypothesis is v unlikely to be true.

SORRY, BEAR WITH ME - I KNOW YOUR Q is different - coming to that in a sec!

c) If you have set your significance level at p < 0.05 (the usual scenario), then this means that THE NULL HYPOTHESIS has a 5% [0.05 as a percentage] probability of being false due to chance [e.g. two sets of results being different due to chance where the null hypothesis states that they are NOT different] i.e. it has a 95% chance of ACTUALLY being false i.e. as mentioned above, you have almost certainly proved it untrue i.e. your results are significant (significantly different if that is what you set out to prove e.g. if you are trying to show that a drug "works", then you might be trying to show that patients given the real drug have a significantly different effect from those given placebo (dummy medicine)).

It is a concept that is a bit difficult to grasp, but if you look at some examples, it will become easier to understand.

If still stuck, let me know and I shall explain in a different way.

M.
Last edited by macpatgh-Sheldon; 1 week ago
0
reply
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Reply
new posts
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

  • Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Material Futures Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Feb '19
  • University of Brighton
    Health and clinical practice + health professions + hospitality, tourism and events + journalism + sport and exercise Postgraduate
    Tue, 26 Feb '19

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (97)
14.9%
Yes - a food allergy (71)
10.91%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (16)
2.46%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (18)
2.76%
No (449)
68.97%

Watched Threads

View All
Latest
My Feed