Is it possible to think something has happened when it has not? Watch

Court.louise
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Me and my cousin 8 years ago when I was only 7 and she was about 5, were in the park and playing on something (one of those with a slide, bridge, little roofs and the pole to slide down) we said it was a mans house - in our game. I told my dad about the "mans house" later but I described an actual house, bunk beds in a small room with a computer which this man, who I also gave a description of, sat at. There was dolls on the bed... Or that's what I told my dad. I'm sure he asked if Chloe was with me and I said she was outside or something. When I think back, she wasn't even there?? He rang the police and when they came I hid under my blanket and said I lied, I think if I spoke to them I would have known what actually happened, if anything - but they seemed like bad officers as I only had a mattress to sleep on but they didn't seem phased. Now when I think back to what I told my dad, I don't link it with the park and my cousin, I remember being in a double bedroom which was empty and with the man I described and bad things happened. I can't for the life of me remember how I got in the house or got out, where the house was nor can I think of a time of me living with my dad that something odd happened. With what I can remember happening in that room is something I surely should have somehow made known by crying or something, but no. I don't know if I have somehow managed to make up a very disgusting "memory" which has actually made a psychiatrist at one point think I may have had PTSD, I didn't tell her any of that but she based it on symptoms etc. I wasn't diagnosed, it was just a thought that I had it. I didn't remember any of this until I was in a secure unit at the age of 12 and I had a flashback or intense memory of that day.
Sorry for ranting but my head is allover the place trying to figure out WHY I don't know if it happened or if it didn't X
byeongkwans
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Yeah it’s very possible that you could’ve constructed that memory, our memory isn’t really as accurate as we think it is. What you’ve described sounds like it could be a “flashbulb memory” and it could’ve been repressed for a while. Maybe talk to your cousin about it and see if she remembers that instance? Maybe she can fill in any missing gaps.
user139
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
From what's decipherable in this awfully written post, I think you're saying you got home from playing at the park, and told your dad you were at a man's house, which you think you were actually at some other time but it wasn't relevant to that particular day; on that day you were at the park. Your dad interpreted this as you being nabbed by an abuser and called the police. Also you manage to contradict yourself in the same sentence "when they came I hid under my blanket and said I lied" and "they seemed like bad officers as I only had a mattress to sleep on but they didn't seem phased" — you hid under a blanket but only had a mattress to sleep on? What relevance does this have anyway, I assume you're talking about officers arriving when you're at your own house here.

Anyway, everyone's memory is different but if something terrible happened to you when you were 7 you'd probably remember it with certainty. Not as something you're unsure about. You might say you and your cousin made up a pretend story and then enacted it as real, but on the other hand you do say you actually remember these things and I don't know why a 7 year old girl would make up a story about being a in a room with a guy sat at a computer. Unless you saw something on the TV about child abuse, it's not a typical story a child would make up. What you might want to try to get clear in your head is if you actually remember these things happening, or if you simply remember telling your dad the story (and then imagined it thereafter).
Court.louise
Rep:
?
(Original post by chooseanother)
Yeah it’s very possible that you could’ve constructed that memory, our memory isn’t really as accurate as we think it is. What you’ve described sounds like it could be a “flashbulb memory” and it could’ve been repressed for a while. Maybe talk to your cousin about it and see if she remembers that instance? Maybe she can fill in any missing gaps.
I no longer speak to that cousin and since she was so young I don't think she would remember. My mam has brought it up sometimes and has said my dad tried to leave everyting and ignore the situation which makes me think something happened even more... But I don't know :/
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
yeah people can create false memories

But TBH I'd think most seven year olds know the words for 'climbing frame' or 'adventure playground' - maybe check with your dad if he ever called the police?
Court.louise
Rep:
?
(Original post by user139)
From what's decipherable in this awfully written post, I think you're saying you got home from playing at the park, and told your dad you were at a man's house, which you think you were actually at some other time but it wasn't relevant to that particular day; on that day you were at the park. Your dad interpreted this as you being nabbed by an abuser and called the police. Also you manage to contradict yourself in the same sentence "when they came I hid under my blanket and said I lied" and "they seemed like bad officers as I only had a mattress to sleep on but they didn't seem phased" — you hid under a blanket but only had a mattress to sleep on? What relevance does this have anyway, I assume you're talking about officers arriving when you're at your own house here.

Anyway, everyone's memory is different but if something terrible happened to you when you were 7 you'd probably remember it with certainty. Not as something you're unsure about. You might say you and your cousin made up a pretend story and then enacted it as real, but on the other hand you do say you actually remember these things and I don't know why a 7 year old girl would make up a story about being a in a room with a guy sat at a computer. Unless you saw something on the TV about child abuse, it's not a typical story a child would make up. What you might want to try to get clear in your head is if you actually remember these things happening, or if you simply remember telling your dad the story (and then imagined it thereafter).
The reason why I am unsure is because if something terrible did happen then it is possible I blocked it out as I was still quite young and then remembered bits later on. If something didn't happen then why would I at such a young age be able to make that up, I wasn't subject to any of that on TV or in any other areas of my life.
As for the mattress and blanket - I had a mattress and a blenket, I mentioned this because as said, my mind is all over and confused. Hopefully people would also see that my dad isn't a good parent based from that too :/
Court.louise
Rep:
?
(Original post by Joinedup)
yeah people can create false memories

But TBH I'd think most seven year olds know the words for 'climbing frame' or 'adventure playground' - maybe check with your dad if he ever called the police?
He definitley did ring the police but I don't talk to him anymore and when I have brought it up a few years ago he said he couldn't remember and tried changing the subject.
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Court.louise)
He definitley did ring the police but I don't talk to him anymore and when I have brought it up a few years ago he said he couldn't remember and tried changing the subject.
OK you could try getting in touch with the relevant police force and seeing if they have a record of taking your statement using a subject access request.
Court.louise
Rep:
?
(Original post by Joinedup)
OK you could try getting in touch with the relevant police force and seeing if they have a record of taking your statement using a subject access request.
They wouldn't be able to as I didn't give a statement and nothing else came of it. I wouldn't want to bring it up again though really.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
6.15%
They might tell the bully (18)
10.06%
I don't think they'd understand (30)
16.76%
It might lead to more bullying (69)
38.55%
There's nothing they could do (51)
28.49%

Watched Threads