MSc Genetic and Genomic Counselling at Cardiff University 2019 Applicants Watch

Ljones95
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I'm also very undecided about whether or not to have the interview over skype. I'm not sure if I would perform better in person or online. Maybe I'd feel less nervous at home doing it through skype?
(Original post by CFG1993)
Is anyone going to Cardiff for the interview? Unsure what to do
CarolinaVM
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Is anyone going to Cardiff for the interview? Unsure what to do
I'm gonna do it online. They seem to have it well organised and I've heard the panel doesn't have a preference, so I figured I could save some money.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
CarolinaVM
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Ljones95)
Maybe I'd feel less nervous at home doing it through skype?
I feel this way about the written assessment... I guess being at home with my computer will make me feel more comfortable. For the presentation I'm afraid there are some non-verbal communication skills that will be missed online, but that's a chance I'll take.
CFG1993
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Do we have to present the presentation if that makes sense or do we just send our slides? I’m not sure how it’ll work online
CarolinaVM
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Do we have to present the presentation if that makes sense or do we just send our slides? I’m not sure how it’ll work online
It's possible to share your screen and have the image from the camera in a corner of your presentation. I don't know if this is how they'll do it, but it makes sense to present the slides this way. 😉
Last edited by CarolinaVM; 2 months ago
Hiral14
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I too have got an interview. Unsure about how to attend though
Hiral14
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I too want to if we have to present before admission team or just send it to their mail address?
lauzmed
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks for the advice! I’ve got a couple of ideas spinning right now, so we’ll see what happens
lauzmed
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’m doing it online, as I live out of the country. Having done these sort of interviews in the past, I’d say it might be best to do it in person, as they can get to know you and your personality better and you can be more expressive.
(Original post by Ljones95)
I'm also very undecided about whether or not to have the interview over skype. I'm not sure if I would perform better in person or online. Maybe I'd feel less nervous at home doing it through skype?
lauzmed
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think we’ll have to do both, where we send the PowerPoint in beforehand and then present it during the interview
(Original post by Hiral14)
I too want to if we have to present before admission team or just send it to their mail address?
lauzmed
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’m also concerned about the question period, as I don’t know what topics I should study and how in depth to go. Are we expected to know the ins and outs of human genetics and analysis technologies? Should we be familiar with diagnostic tools and complex inheritance patterns?
CarolinaVM
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by lauzmed)
I’m also concerned about the question period, as I don’t know what topics I should study and how in depth to go. Are we expected to know the ins and outs of human genetics and analysis technologies? Should we be familiar with diagnostic tools and complex inheritance patterns?
Hi! I asked this to a current student and she replied that it is really more about Genetic Counselling itself than Genetics in general. I don't think they'll ask complex questions on technologies or inheritance. 😉 They are proud to have students from a variety of backgrounds (including Psychology/Counselling) and there is some basic Genetics content provided in the first year.
Last edited by CarolinaVM; 1 month ago
tardigrades
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What topics are you thinking of presenting on?
CarolinaVM
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I really have no idea at the moment, but I honestly think the topic choice is not very important. 😊

(Original post by tardigrades)
What topics are you thinking of presenting on?
tardigrades
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Any theories on the reflective piece?
lauzmed
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I did an interview for the same program at McGill last year, and it wasn’t a big deal. They just have you a small paragraph about a counselling situation and wanted to see how you reply. They weren’t looking for super technical answers, more to see how you write and communicate, and how you interpret information. I’m planning on just winging that bit!
Any theories on the reflective piece?
CarolinaVM
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by lauzmed)
I did an interview for the same program at McGill last year, and it wasn’t a big deal.
Hi! Are you from Canada? If so, do you plan on doing your placement outside the UK/ROI? Do you know if it's difficult for Cardiff Uni to accept such a placement and if there is a deadline for us to have the agreement signed? Thanks!
tardigrades
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What backgrounds do people have? Care wise and genetically?
CFG1993
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’ve been an OTA for three years in the nhs working on an inpatient ward for men with PD/schizophrenia
I was a nightline volunteer(like Samaritans) when I was at uni and and I have done volunteer TA work with SEN kids.

Education I’ve got a BSc Psychology and a counselling diploma no genetics work experience but I have completed a short course in human molecular genetics and a cancer genomics module with the university of bath.
What backgrounds do people have? Care wise and genetically?
lauzmed
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes, I am from Canada. I'm not sure about placement yet, but it will almost definitely be outside the UK. I don't think it should be difficult for them to accept an international placement, given the nature of the course and I haven't heard of any deadlines. Sorry I couldn't give more solid information.
(Original post by CarolinaVM)
Hi! Are you from Canada? If so, do you plan on doing your placement outside the UK/ROI? Do you know if it's difficult for Cardiff Uni to accept such a placement and if there is a deadline for us to have the agreement signed? Thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (284)
15.19%
The paper was reasonable (1038)
55.51%
Not feeling great about that exam... (404)
21.6%
It was TERRIBLE (144)
7.7%

Watched Threads