CarolinaVM
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Thank you anyway!
That means I'm probably just overthinking this. 😉

(Original post by lauzmed)
Yes, I am from Canada. I'm not sure about placement yet, but it will almost definitely be outside the UK. I don't think it should be difficult for them to accept an international placement, given the nature of the course and I haven't heard of any deadlines. Sorry I couldn't give more solid information.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
CarolinaVM
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'm a doctor (consultant in Obstetrics/Gynaecology), but that's probably an unusual background for candidates. 😉 As for Genetics, I have an MSc in Prenatal Genetics and Fetal Medicine (and I teach Medical Genetics to med students). How about you?

(Original post by tardigrades)
What backgrounds do people have? Care wise and genetically?
lauzmed
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Just in case some of us feel completely inadequate, I am neither a doctor nor a professor. I did my undergrad as a biology major and psychology minor (subpar grades). I volunteered for almost a year in the medical genetics department of a hospital, where I shadowed GCs and did some admin stuff. For caring experience, I worked in a youth safe house as support worker for about 7 months. Also, for the part where we propose placement spots, are we meant to have already made contacts if they are outside of the UK?
CarolinaVM
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'm the odd one, as I said. You're not supposed to be a doctor in order to become a GC! (And it can actually go the other way around in terms of application).
I didn't mean for anyone to feel inadequate. 😉

It sounds like you have amazing experience, best of luck with your interview!

Just in case some of us feel completely inadequate, I am neither a doctor nor a professor. I did my undergrad as a biology major and psychology minor (subpar grades). I volunteered for almost a year in the medical genetics department of a hospital, where I shadowed GCs and did some admin stuff. For caring experience, I worked in a youth safe house as support worker for about 7 months.

Well, I emailed the Admissions Team (before raising the question here) and I wasn't 100% sure of what they meant by their first answer, so I asked them to clarify. It seems like you don't have to contact your preferred place beforehand and that "negotiations" will only begin after a successful interview, but they do expect you to have an idea of where you want to do it.

This worries me a bit, as they do say that securing a placement is essential for an offer to be made. I'm just afraid I might run out of time, but there really isn't much we can do right now without a solid placement agreement to present to Genetics Clinics. I am sure others have managed it in the past... As I said, I'm probably just overthinking it. 😊

Also, for the part where we propose placement spots, are we meant to have already made contacts if they are outside of the UK?
Last edited by CarolinaVM; 3 weeks ago
lauzmed
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
No worries! I just know that sometimes we can get a bit carried away with comparison. What you said about placement is really helpful! I'm glad they don't expect us to have everything sorted ahead of time. Are you planning on doing your outside of the UK, and if so, where?
(Original post by CarolinaVM)
I'm the odd one, as I said. You're not supposed to be a doctor in order to become a GC! (And it can actually go the other way around in terms of application).
I didn't mean for anyone to feel inadequate. 😉

It sounds like you have amazing experience, best of luck with your interview!

Well, I emailed the Admissions Team (before raising the question here) and I wasn't 100% sure of what they meant by their first answer, so I asked them to clarify. It seems like you don't have to contact your preferred place beforehand and that "negotiations" will only begin after a successful interview, but they do expect you to have an idea of where you want to do it.

This worries me a bit, as they do say that securing a placement is essential for an offer to be made. I'm just afraid I might run out of time, but there really isn't much we can do right now without a solid placement agreement to present to Genetics Clinics. I am sure others have managed it in the past... As I said, I'm probably just overthinking it. 😊
CarolinaVM
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
🙂

I'm from Portugal and there is one particular Clinic here where I would love to do my placement. However, I do know (experienced firsthand) that their Hospital isn't exactly speedy with admin stuff... Fingers crossed things will go smoothly if I pass the interview stage. One thing at a time, I suppose. 😊

No worries! I just know that sometimes we can get a bit carried away with comparison. What you said about placement is really helpful! I'm glad they don't expect us to have everything sorted ahead of time. Are you planning on doing your outside of the UK, and if so, where?
Last edited by CarolinaVM; 3 weeks ago
RuthN-95
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
How is everyone feeling about the interview?
CarolinaVM
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Slightly nervous, tbh... There's always a fair bit in interviews that is out of our control.

On a positive note, judging from the number of interview slots and number of students admitted last year, it seems that we are now on a 2:1 ratio for places. Not bad at all. 😊

Good luck, everyone!

(Original post by RuthN-95)
How is everyone feeling about the interview?
lauzmed
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Best wishes to anyone interviewing this week!!!!
Hiral14
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hello. did anyone attend interview? any tip?
Hiral14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
yeah. good luck to all
Best wishes to anyone interviewing this week!!!!
RuthN-95
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Was anyone’s interview, the Q&A part shorter than expected?
CarolinaVM
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Yes! Glad to know I wasn't the only one. 😊
Perhaps they are just accounting for delays.

RuthN-95
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Oh okay! Glad to know, I was worrying! Yes that makes sense ☺️ Hope it went well for you!
(Original post by CarolinaVM)
Yes! Glad to know I wasn't the only one. 😊
Perhaps they are just accounting for delays.
CFG1993
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
How’s everyone found the interviews so far? I found it quite scary! 😂
RuthN-95
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Yeah I found it pretty daunting too!
(Original post by CFG1993)
How’s everyone found the interviews so far? I found it quite scary! 😂
Hiral14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
How long it went? about half an hour I guess??
MadelineAnn
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Yeah I found it a lot shorter too! Glad I'm not the only one!

Hiral14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hello. can anyone tell by when we will know an outcome of interview??
Hiral14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I guess interviews are over now
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 20 May '19
  • London Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Mini Open Evening - Holloway Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 May '19
  • Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How has 2019 been so far?