Dropping an a level? Watch

tyorke1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
currently I'm studying computer science, biology and engineering at my sixth form but I am struggling to juggle the subjects due to the poor quality of teaching.

I am behind in computer science because my head of department decided to merge the computer science class with the engineering (programming coursework), this lasted 4 months to which then my teacher left. the content we learnt was pretty unrelated and had nothing to do with my engineering a level either as it was for a different engineering course altogether.

during this time I did study computing in frees and at home, but I was having to heavily study engineering as well due for the poor quality of teaching in that lesson as well. because of these reasons I am really struggling to juggle the subject.

once my new computer science teacher came, he had never taught the subject before and the quality of his teaching and lessons are very poor.

one idea I have is to drop computer science, and stick with biology and engineering. I will eventually start an independent study a level either in the second year or once I have left the sixth form.

I need opinions on whether this is a good idea, bearing in mind I have no interest in going to university and I would like to start an apprenticeship once I leave.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Emma:-)
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by tyorke1)
currently I'm studying computer science, biology and engineering at my sixth form but I am struggling to juggle the subjects due to the poor quality of teaching.

I am behind in computer science because my head of department decided to merge the computer science class with the engineering (programming coursework), this lasted 4 months to which then my teacher left. the content we learnt was pretty unrelated and had nothing to do with my engineering a level either as it was for a different engineering course altogether.

during this time I did study computing in frees and at home, but I was having to heavily study engineering as well due for the poor quality of teaching in that lesson as well. because of these reasons I am really struggling to juggle the subject.

once my new computer science teacher came, he had never taught the subject before and the quality of his teaching and lessons are very poor.

one idea I have is to drop computer science, and stick with biology and engineering. I will eventually start an independent study a level either in the second year or once I have left the sixth form.

I need opinions on whether this is a good idea, bearing in mind I have no interest in going to university and I would like to start an apprenticeship once I leave.
Speak to your 6th form about whether they would let you or not.
I know at my old 6th form, they wouldnt let you do any less than the 3.
tyorke1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Emma:-))
Speak to your 6th form about whether they would let you or not.
I know at my old 6th form, they wouldnt let you do any less than the 3.
Yes, this is another concern I have but I may be able to get away with it, is this a feasable idea if they allow me to drop the subject? will I still get into an apprenticeship even when considering that initially I will only have two a levels leaving school, and I might not gain another until a year on from then
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Emma:-)
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by tyorke1)
Yes, this is another concern I have but I may be able to get away with it, is this a feasable idea if they allow me to drop the subject? will I still get into an apprenticeship even when considering that initially I will only have two a levels leaving school, and I might not gain another until a year on from then
Different apprenticeships may have different entry requirements. Id check the requirements of any apprenticeships/areas you are thinking of applying for. That may be worth looking into now, before you make any decisions.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Life Sciences; Department of Psychology Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Feb '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Feb '19
  • St George's, University of London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 21 Feb '19

Do unconditional offers make teenagers lazy?

Yes (238)
59.65%
No (161)
40.35%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed