Applied for BSc, received an offer for BSc+Foundation Watch

Renaats
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hey!

I just received an offer for BSc Computer Science with Foundation Year (I100) but applied for BSc Computer Science (G400).
I'm a high school student from Latvia with a lot of relevant experience and excellent grades.

Has this happened to anyone else? Southampton wasn't my first pick, but I was considering it for the insurance choice. I'm assuming they want international students to do a foundation year but if that's the case, I'll choose a different uni.
Herts PG Student Rep
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Renaats)
Hey!

I just received an offer for BSc Computer Science with Foundation Year (I100) but applied for BSc Computer Science (G400).
I'm a high school student from Latvia with a lot of relevant experience and excellent grades.

Has this happened to anyone else? Southampton wasn't my first pick, but I was considering it for the insurance choice. I'm assuming they want international students to do a foundation year but if that's the case, I'll choose a different uni.
I've heard of it happening to people who had offers but didn't get the required grades, so it may be that your predicted grades don't match their requirements (though since you mentioned excellent grades I'm unsure if that's the case). Alternatively they may not see curriculums from certain countries as being sufficient for their course - I'm unsure what the system is in Latvia though so take that with a pinch of salt!

The best thing to do may be to phone them up to double check. Unless it's Southampton policy I can't see a reason aside from course requirements.

Hope that helps.

Theo
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Renaats
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Herts PG Student Rep)
I've heard of it happening to people who had offers but didn't get the required grades, so it may be that your predicted grades don't match their requirements (though since you mentioned excellent grades I'm unsure if that's the case). Alternatively they may not see curriculums from certain countries as being sufficient for their course - I'm unsure what the system is in Latvia though so take that with a pinch of salt!

The best thing to do may be to phone them up to double check. Unless it's Southampton policy I can't see a reason aside from course requirements.

Hope that helps.

Theo
Thank you for the response!

My predicted average grade is 9 on a scale from 1 to 10. The undergraduate entry requirements state "Atestāts par vispārējo vidējo izglītību with overall grade 8 - 9 in school exams plus 65% overall in state exam. Some undergraduate courses may request grades A - B or 70 - 85% in state exams for relevant subjects".
The Latvian education system is quite different to other European countries - we have to take 16 subjects and the average grade is calculated from all of them. It gives students a wider range of knowledge, but is often perceived as worse (i'd like to disagree).

Thanks for the help, I will give them a call tomorrow.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do unconditional offers make teenagers lazy?

Yes (211)
60.29%
No (139)
39.71%

Watched Threads