Don't want to share a room at uni Watch

Assembly
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
So I've been allocated to St. Aiden's college at Durham (conditional offer) and found out I have an 'almost 40%' chance of being allocated a shared room from the official website. Long story short, I really don't want to share a room and this is a big deal breaker from me. So, do you apply for accommodation after you have firmed an offer or do you do it before? I don't want to firm Durham, be put in a random number generator and find out i'm one of the unlucky '40%' who have been allocated a shared room. Any advice would be appreciated.
Last edited by Assembly; 1 week ago
random_matt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Assembly)
So I've been allocated to St. Aiden's college at Durham (conditional offer) and found out I have a '40%' chance of been allocated a shared room from the official website. Long story short, I really don't want to share a room and this is a big deal breaker from me. So, do you apply for accommodation after you have firmed an offer or do you do it before? I don't want to firm Durham, be put in a random number generator and find out i'm one of the unlucky '40%' who have been allocated a shared room. Any advice would be appreciated.
If you want a single room, best chance is cuths, they pretty much all are.
Ibby_
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
So I've been allocated to St. Aiden's college at Durham (conditional offer) and found out I have an 'almost 40%' chance of being allocated a shared room from the official website. Long story short, I really don't want to share a room and this is a big deal breaker from me. So, do you apply for accommodation after you have firmed an offer or do you do it before? I don't want to firm Durham, be put in a random number generator and find out i'm one of the unlucky '40%' who have been allocated a shared room. Any advice would be appreciated.
im sure u can apply for accommodation in an order that suits you, most uni's let u do that. you can apply without firming but wont get allocated you room till after firming and some uni's give room information on results day.
leaview
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Durham have a pretty strict process in terms of allocation of colleges with no room for altering after their allocation is made according to their website. Other Unis seem more flexible. https://www.dur.ac.uk/colleges.se.office/allocations/
Assembly
Rep:
?
(Original post by random_matt)
If you want a single room, best chance is cuths, they pretty much all are.
Thabks for the suggestion. I may try and ring them up to see if they have any space. Hopefully they'll have some, apparently you can't switch colleges after they've been allocated but it's worth a shot, I think
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by Assembly; 1 week ago
Assembly
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ibby_)
im sure u can apply for accommodation in an order that suits you, most uni's let u do that. you can apply without firming but wont get allocated you room till after firming and some uni's give room information on results day.
hmm okay, i'll look into accommodation process a little more. The website ia a little vague so it doesn't say if you apply before or after an offer. Thanks for your input
leaview
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
How can you tell if St Aidens has single or shared rooms....... struggling to find that level of detail on website
Ibby_
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
hmm okay, i'll look into accommodation process a little more. The website ia a little vague so it doesn't say if you apply before or after an offer. Thanks for your input
most won't say online, but i got my accommodation application when i recieved an interview (for my course). I havent firmed but have applied for accommodation.
Assembly
Rep:
?
(Original post by leaview)
How can you tell if St Aidens has single or shared rooms....... struggling to find that level of detail on website
https://www.dur.ac.uk/st-aidans.coll...llocationform/
leaview
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
thank you that's really helpful..... but putting me off :-(
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If you can;t swap colleges then Durham night not be for you. Is going to Durham more important that having to share a room?
Max1989
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
A lot of Uni's will let you chnage accomidation a few weeks into term/swap with somone, when results day comes and you ge then accomidation offer phone/eamil them to see if it is shared.
Assembly
Rep:
?
(Original post by Muttley79)
If you can;t swap colleges then Durham night not be for you. Is going to Durham more important that having to share a room?
I'm really conflicted about it, Durham has a great rep for Law but i'd feel so restricted in a shared bedroom. Even small things like setting morning alarms would be akward
Assembly
Rep:
?
(Original post by leaview)
thank you that's really helpful..... but putting me off :-(
No worries. I'm afraid about rolling that 40% dice too
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm really conflicted about it, Durham has a great rep for Law but i'd feel so restricted in a shared bedroom. Even small things like setting morning alarms would be akward
Where else have you applied?
Assembly
Rep:
?
Where else have you applied?
Exeter & Manchester are my other offers
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm pretty sure Exeter has lots of rooms without needing to share - pretty good rep too. Not many of my students head to Manchester so you need to check their accommodation.
random_matt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Nothing wrong with Exeter, probably the nicest looking campus around. Try and get down there to check it out, I am not entirely sure if you prefer a campus.
Assembly
Rep:
?
I'm pretty sure Exeter has lots of rooms without needing to share - pretty good rep too. Not many of my students head to Manchester so you need to check their accommodation.
(Original post by random_matt)
Nothing wrong with Exeter, probably the nicest looking campus around. Try and get down there to check it out, I am not entirely sure if you prefer a campus.
Thank you both for the feedback. I'll look more into Exeter and try to compare it with Durham, maybe i'll see if the shared room gamble i really worth it that way
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bath
    Undergraduate Virtual Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Ravensbourne University London
    School of Design, School of Media Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Leeds Trinity University
    PGCE Open Day Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (77)
14.05%
Yes - a food allergy (58)
10.58%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (15)
2.74%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (15)
2.74%
No (383)
69.89%

Watched Threads