Jezzikarr
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I’m aiming to do modern Languages at Oxford/Cambridge, so obviously I want my personal statement to be as impressive as possible! However I was wondering whether some ML students might be able to give me some tips as to what exactly is the level of ‘impressive’ that (top) universities are looking for... for example, is reading books/watching films in your chosen language too weak? ARe they expecting experience such as exhachanges, volunteering abroad, etc.?

Thanks in advance!
(N.B. I’m in year 11 so have a bit of time yet!)
bsc1998
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi,

In my personal statement, I put some of the books I'd read and films I'd watched and got an offer for an interview. Just make sure you know these inside out as they will dig deeper if you get an interview (something I wasn't prepared for). They put a lot of emphasis on your result in the MLAT as to whether you get an interview I believe.

Also, before you apply, make sure you've read into the course thoroughly - one of the things that put me off was the lack of choice (very literature based - but if you like this, go for it) and whether or not you want to study 3 languages or just 2. Again, this is just research about the uni which you'll do at the end of year 12!

Hope this helps (any further questions, PM me!)
umbrellala
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Jezzikarr)
I’m aiming to do modern Languages at Oxford/Cambridge, so obviously I want my personal statement to be as impressive as possible! However I was wondering whether some ML students might be able to give me some tips as to what exactly is the level of ‘impressive’ that (top) universities are looking for... for example, is reading books/watching films in your chosen language too weak? ARe they expecting experience such as exhachanges, volunteering abroad, etc.?

Thanks in advance!
(N.B. I’m in year 11 so have a bit of time yet!)
I applied to a single language (BA Korean) so it might work a bit differently, but I've uploaded my personal statement here if you think it'd be useful
Paralove
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Cambridge languages grad here - I'm just off to work but commenting to remind myself to come back to this later!

If I haven't replied by tomorrow, DM me!
aieshacaitlin
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I received 5 offers for BA mod langs last year and I’d say it’s a good idea to talk about films and books you’ve enjoyed and what you gained from them about the culture perhaps. Also apps where you talk to people in other countries was something I said. Visiting the countries of course is fairly vital to put and the importance of travel and interesting culture etc doesn’t have to be volunteering abroad as such I don’t think but then I didn’t apply to Oxbridge. I never did any exchanges either but most of my friends had and talked about such. The importance of whichever language in today’s world and perhaps career idea and how your degree would be great for it. Mention friends or family from countries where you study the language and how they help if applicable. Depending on whether the course you’re looking at is more literature or history or linguistic based, focus on different aspects in your personal statement. Good luck! You have plenty of time to decide and do things for it anyway so don’t worry yourself now! Your plans will probably change 10 times before you apply
whateew
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Heya, I just finished my applications this year.
For oxford and cambridge, literature is absolutely a must have in your application, as their course is heavy on literature. Films are also good, but less of an essential. However, when I say books are essential, that doesn't mean a list of books. In my application (one modern language, one not) I only mention 2 books; its more about the way you talk about them: how you mention specific things that you found interesting, and why they (in particular) interested you.

Exchange experience is always nice to have, but not necessary I don't think - if you haven't been to your target language countries, don't sweat it! It's good to write about if you have it, but it's important in showing interest in language, not competence - thats what your A-levels are for. While its definitely something you can show interest through, its not the only thing - writing about films, books, theatre, or literally anything related to the country is perfectly valid.

If anythings unclear im happy to help more :")
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (107)
60.11%
No (37)
20.79%
Not sure (34)
19.1%

Watched Threads