LSHTM application Watch

Jimbeany
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi everyone!

I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on which course to apply for. I'm looking at public health at LSHTM, but I'm mostly interested in Infectious disease control. In particular I'm interested in vector-borne disease.

My question is: Is it best to play it safe with something marketable and to take the MPH, or should I go for Infectious disease control/Medical Entomology?

I appreciate its an ambiguous one, but has anyone got any advice?
alleycat393
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Jimbeany)
Hi everyone!

I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on which course to apply for. I'm looking at public health at LSHTM, but I'm mostly interested in Infectious disease control. In particular I'm interested in vector-borne disease.

My question is: Is it best to play it safe with something marketable and to take the MPH, or should I go for Infectious disease control/Medical Entomology?

I appreciate its an ambiguous one, but has anyone got any advice?
How sure are you that you only want to work in that specific field? If you are very sure look for a course that will give you that. If you'd be willing to explore other options then pick something more general.
Oocyte
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hey I did the Msc in Control of Infectious Diseases and had had a similar consideration before I opted for CID over PH. Having an interest in infectious disease control, it was the best choice for me because I could do that whole module on infectious disease agents and their control, and then choose to branch out to policy on my chosen modules if I wished. I took modules in Designing Disease Control Programmes in Developing Countries, Conflict and Health, Applying PH principles in Developing Countries and Epidemiology and Control of Communicable Diseases. I'm not sure the PH people had as much scope to take extra infectious disease related modules, like I could take policy modules. The only thing I perhaps wished I could have had time for that I would have had on PH would have been principles of social research, and more PH principles like PH promotion and such. It's a difficult choice, but you can apply to two courses anyway then choose after that! Plenty of scope to take vector modules and spend time in the lab if you take CID, and do your project in relevant vector setting and research project etc. Not sure that is the case for PH as much - they have a couple more compulsory modules during those slots,. but it might be the case!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19
  • Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (89)
16.57%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (55)
10.24%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (96)
17.88%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (81)
15.08%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (54)
10.06%
How can I be the best version of myself? (162)
30.17%

Watched Threads