MadDogDrake
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, I am in Y8 and we have to choose our GCSE subjects soon. On top of my core subjects (maths, english, science, RS) I can choose three more. I am going to choose Geography & Art but am not sure about the third one. Advice please - pros & cons to Spanish or History? So far I seem to be getting better grades in Spanish but I enjoy History more......
hollybopkins
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Choose something you enjoy! I made the mistake of picking the ones I was getting better grades in. This then caused me to suffer and not do as well in exams because I no longer enjoyed the subject and it was more of a chore than wanting to attend the lessons to learn more and become good at it
Tolgarda
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Pros to Spanish:
  • Achieving a grade 5 or above means that you don't have to be too concerned about universities with language requirements like UCL.
  • It builds a decent base for you to learn the language even further, beyond the syllabus, so that you can be fluent enough to use it confidently on holiday or something along those lines.
  • It means that you can take it for A-level. Most schools won't usually allow you to take an A-level in a modern foreign language unless you studied that particular modern foreign language at GCSE first.
  • If you've learnt Spanish in previous years at school, you might have a strong base at GCSE, which can make things a little easier for you.

Cons to Spanish:
  • If your knowledge of grammar isn't so great, it may feel as if you're having to learn even more content on top of the language itself.
  • If you have some extreme anxiety, you might find it difficult to tackle the oral exam, which is worth a quarter of the final grade.

Pros to history:
  • If you're fond of essay-based subjects, it is a very nice humanity subject.
  • Some of the historical periods that you study can be quite intriguing.
  • If you've studied some of the historical periods that your options cover, then you might find the course a little easier due to your prior knowledge.

Cons to history:
  • It's a hell of a lot of work. It can be an extremely strenuous subject and very demanding. The content is vast, and that's just the tip of the iceberg, because exam technique is also extremely important as well.
  • If you don't like some of the historical periods that you are studying, the subject can quickly become a living nightmare to revise. You may become overly stressed.
hollybopkins
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
At the end of the day, it all depends on what you want to do! PM me if you need any help making the decision Always happy to help
chelseagirl2002
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I do Spanish (AQA) and absolutely love it. I have a friend who does history and says it's the best subject she takes, however some topics are quite boring (referring to Edexcel) like the American West and Medicine. If you love history, I see why not.

Also, I'd like to say Geography (Cambridge) is really boring. It is sort of easy, but I absolutely hate it and I get so excited for lessons to be over. The only thing I like is the coursework, but apart from that I regret taking it and wish I took something else like French or History.
username3900288
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It is advisable to do GCSEs that are relevant to either what you wish to do in the future, or potential considerations regarding what you would wouldn't mind doing in the future in terms of employment or mere academics. It is also advisable to only choose subjects where you will learn things that could not be learnt elsewhere, such as on the internet. For example, unless you were planning to go and get a career in the catering industry, I would advise against studying food technology as for one, you do not learn how to make basic, everyday food but more along the lines of food designed for special occasions, and two, you can learn how to cook online (in fact, in my FT class, we got all the recipes online and just cooked according to them in school using the equipment found in school, plus, I don't remember anything from the class, so it was a waste of time).

In addition to this, it is also wise to study subjects that give you the most amount of career opportunities (transferable skills), and relate to fields that are high in demand for workers or likely to be so. Subjects such as Product Design would be better to study than Graphics Design, as you will learn about Graphic designing during Product Design, and plus, you can learn Graphics outside of school in your own time. Same applies to coding, as it would be better to study Computer Science or Software Engineering or learn coding on your own with assistance outside of school, than in school (well, uni really, since you have to pay, but in school it would be free, so actually yeah, go learn it there if you want).

Really, I would advise against Spanish, but that is really just done to me being able to learn the language by studying on my on with people who actually speak it fluently. In otherwise, my advisement against it is personal. History would likely be a better subject to study, but that depends on what you want to do with it, because you do not want to waste your time on it unless you truly care about History and want to get a career in relation to it (I hear that it is hard, and it would appear that it doesn't have as much worth to society as problem-solving subjects).

But at the end of the day, it is your choice. Just make sure to make the best choice you can; do your research on the subjects, related career fields and job opportunities, or if you are just studying for the fun of it and not make a career using the GCSEs, still research the subjects before-hand so that you get an idea as to what the course material is likely to be like and whether you like them or not, and/or find them completable for you.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Something to consider with Spanish and history is whether you might like to continue those subjects - you would normally need to have taken GCSE Spanish to take A-level Spanish, and some schools require you to have taken GCSE History to take A-level History. Since usually the advice for A-level subject choices is to choose those you are most interested in, as that tends to help sustain and motivate you through revision and dull topics, I'd probably suggest history based on your comments.

Incidentally UCL is the only university with a language requirement for non-language courses, and you can satisfy that requirement by taking language modules on the degree after you start, so I wouldn't suggest taking a language for that reason. Take it if you enjoy it, otherwise it's probably better to consider something else. Outside of potential prerequisites for A-level subjects, your GCSE subject choices don't make much of a difference in the long run, so take the opportunity to take things you'll enjoy!
MadDogDrake
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Something to consider with Spanish and history is whether you might like to continue those subjects - you would normally need to have taken GCSE Spanish to take A-level Spanish, and some schools require you to have taken GCSE History to take A-level History. Since usually the advice for A-level subject choices is to choose those you are most interested in, as that tends to help sustain and motivate you through revision and dull topics, I'd probably suggest history based on your comments.

Incidentally UCL is the only university with a language requirement for non-language courses, and you can satisfy that requirement by taking language modules on the degree after you start, so I wouldn't suggest taking a language for that reason. Take it if you enjoy it, otherwise it's probably better to consider something else. Outside of potential prerequisites for A-level subjects, your GCSE subject choices don't make much of a difference in the long run, so take the opportunity to take things you'll enjoy!
Thank you very much, i do not think i will do Spanish and i am glad!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (75)
15.18%
Uncertainty around my education (82)
16.6%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (45)
9.11%
Isolating with family (32)
6.48%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (21)
4.25%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (40)
8.1%
Loneliness (48)
9.72%
Financial worries (18)
3.64%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (49)
9.92%
Exposure to negative news/social media (34)
6.88%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (50)
10.12%

Watched Threads