charliemason98
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey!
So i really want to do a dissertation on disneys impact on animation, how he revolutionized the industry, his influence/impact on the masses etc

My tutor is concerned about a potential lack of historical focus-can anybody help with this?
Im going to include stuff about disneys propaganda cartoons in ww2 and how they impacted and influenced the US homefront, but i dont want my whole dissertation to be about this topic.

Im really struggling in picking a disney topic which is suitable for a history degree.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by charliemason98)
Hey!
So i really want to do a dissertation on disneys impact on animation, how he revolutionized the industry, his influence/impact on the masses etc

My tutor is concerned about a potential lack of historical focus-can anybody help with this?
Im going to include stuff about disneys propaganda cartoons in ww2 and how they impacted and influenced the US homefront, but i dont want my whole dissertation to be about this topic.

Im really struggling in picking a disney topic which is suitable for a history degree.
I agree with the History teacher. From what you have written it sounds more like a media essay than a History essay. If you read more thne maybe you cna find an anagle that presents am historical angle worthy of investigation and consideration rather than a reurgitation of the Disnye timeline. If they want that they can get a book. What makes your work interesting for a reader? Whats new? What is it you wnat to tell us about the man and the time he was in?
How many biographies have you read? How much research have you done?
Last edited by 999tigger; 1 year ago
charliemason98
Rep:
?
I havent started yet. We dont start until next year.
ZaraPG
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’m currently undertaking my History MA and I can see where your lecturer is coming from.

When writing a dissertation you have to consider how your argument fits within the historiography. The topic you have chosen would make this very difficult.

Perhaps you could take a different approach? You want to focus on Disney’s impact on the masses, but maybe reverse this. As a profitable corporation, maybe explore how Disney’s works internalise and represent contemporary opinion and/or events?

Overall, I can see that you’re really interested in the topic but it just lacks historical perspective. If you’re interested in animation/cinema/media then there are many avenues you can explore. I would listen to your lecturer - you do not want to compromise on your grades no matter how interesting the subject. You will rely heavily on your supervisor/lecturers and at the moment your topic is simultaneously too specific and too vague. There will not be enough source material and your lecturers will be of little help.
charliemason98
Rep:
?
Thanks for the reply! My lecturer is happy with me doing the disney ww2 propaganda topic so i may just stick with this. You mention there are many avenues for animation-could you elaborate a little on this? We’re not expected to have a solid idea yet, we have to submit an ungraded proposal as well, so if any work is not feasible they will tell us.
ZaraPG
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
That’s great that you have managed to secure a dissertation in a topic you are so obviously passionate about! If you’re doing propaganda and WW2 then you will have an abundant amount of sources - remember, in order to reach high marks you must compare and contrast Disney with, say, government propaganda?

Animation/cinema/media are topics that have been explored in great length. They each are indicative of social change, technological change and are projections of both culture and society at large. That is what I meant by avenues - you will not struggle for source material and secondary sources on each topic (perhaps a bit limited on Disney specifically). A really interesting topic (if you aren’t 100% on your chosen subject) would be Disney’s representations of African Americans/ Minority ethnicities. You can then tie this in with contemporary America - Jim Crow Laws, Civil Rights etc. That would be very original and interesting!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (476)
66.39%
No (241)
33.61%

Watched Threads