Jakejoyce2016
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Can someone analyse these quotes in depth for grade 8/9?
‘O brawling love’
‘Thy beauty hath made me effeminate’
‘And in my temper softened valors steel’
‘Either thou or I, or both, must go with him’
‘And fire eyed fury be my conduct now’
I don’t want to know why these are said or the story explaining I just need analysis for the quotes.
Tolgash
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Analysing the quotes is pretty much the work being done for you! Mind you, I used the last two in my official exam.
Jakejoyce2016
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tolgarda)
Analysing the quotes is pretty much the work being done for you! Mind you, I used the last two in my official exam.
I have analysed the use is sounds in the quotations but I need some deeper analysis to ensure the band 8/9s are achieved.
Tolgash
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Jakejoyce2016)
I have analysed the use is sounds in the quotations but I need some deeper analysis to ensure the band 8/9s are achieved.
If I'm being honest, I don't think that there is a 'band 8/9'. There are grades 8 and 9, but not bands. There are around three or four of those. Anyway, you shouldn't analyse sounds, but the types of words used in those quotes, to access higher marks.
potatina
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Focus on one particular word (or group of words) and explain in depth what it might show the audience.
MxRie2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ill try get you started “o brawling love”

The sound “O” aurally communicates Romeo’s anguish due to his unrequited love from Rosaline. This idea is further explored through the oxymoron “brawling love”. The verb “brawling” connotes to a sense of conflict whilst “love” has connotations of peace and happiness. These juxtaposing words are effective in heightening Romeo’s turmoil. Alternatively, the oxymoron of “brawling love” presents Romeo as confused; it is evident that he does not fully understand the concept of love thus emphasising why he feels confused and burdened. Shakespeare perhaps criticises the patriarchal/conventional love that existed within the Elizabethan society through the presentation of Romeo and burdened and confused by his courtly love.
Last edited by MxRie2; 1 year ago
Jakejoyce2016
Rep:
?
(Original post by MxRie2)
Ill try get you started “o brawling love”

The sound “O” aurally communicates Romeo’s anguish due to his unrequited love from Rosaline. This idea is further explored through the oxymoron “brawling love”. The verb “brawling” connotes to a sense of conflict whilst “love” has connotations of peace and happiness. These juxtaposing words are effective in heightening Romeo’s turmoil. Alternatively, the oxymoron of “brawling love” presents Romeo as confused; it is evident that he does not fully understand the concept of love thus emphasising why he feels confused and burdened. Shakespeare perhaps criticises the patriarchal/conventional love that existed within the Elizabethan society through the presentation of Romeo and burdened and confused by his courtly love.
Thankyou this was helpful. I have also talked about the vowels in this quotation and the use of an apostroph in the ‘o’’ to show his excessive emotions and I’m sure that this analysis will gain high marks. However, I need to link my analysis to further on in the play to act 3 scene 1 and I’m intending on using ‘and fire eyes fury be my conduct now’ and I have simply said what the quote demonstrates but is there any other things I could say ?
MxRie2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Jakejoyce2016)
Thankyou this was helpful. I have also talked about the vowels in this quotation and the use of an apostroph in the ‘o’’ to show his excessive emotions and I’m sure that this analysis will gain high marks. However, I need to link my analysis to further on in the play to act 3 scene 1 and I’m intending on using ‘and fire eyes fury be my conduct now’ and I have simply said what the quote demonstrates but is there any other things I could say ?
I’m not too sure, you can say that Romeo’s character develops. At the beginning he is more effeminate whereas in act 3 scene 1, he is more masculine. You can talk about the repetition of the “f” sound conveying Romeo’s sense of anger. The short sentence presents a finality to Romeo’s statement thus presenting him as determined to seek revenge.
I’m not too sure, sorry 😐
Vinny C
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Simple message... love kills! Shall I compare thee to a summer's day or coat it in sugar?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (185)
14.19%
I'm not sure (59)
4.52%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (381)
29.22%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.84%
I'm not a current university student (642)
49.23%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise