Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi all,

I am to start the ACCS anaesthetics programme in September 2019. I want to take 1-2 years out for a masters, but when is the best time to do this?

My initials thoughts are after ACCS/pre-ST3. However, given the nature of training, will I be putting myself at a disadvantage when starting ST3? Seems a bit silly(?) to take a year out after 2 years into pure anaesthetics training (feel like I would deskill a lot/would be very difficult to come back as an SpR). Given this, would post-ST5 be better?

Thoughts from current trainees?
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Not an anaesthetic trainee, but I would not agree that coming back after 2 years mean that you know very little / nothing.

(1) I presume you would still be doing a medical related masters
(2) You can always locum during your academic years to maintain your skills (and earn however little you can in your spare time, because you'll need every penny!)

I wouldn't worry about taking time off between jobs (especially if out of training i.e. between CT2 / ST3 or CT3 / ST4) - make sure you speak to consultants / programme directors and ask for their opinion too.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi all,

I am to start the ACCS anaesthetics programme in September 2019. I want to take 1-2 years out for a masters, but when is the best time to do this?

My initials thoughts are after ACCS/pre-ST3. However, given the nature of training, will I be putting myself at a disadvantage when starting ST3? Seems a bit silly(?) to take a year out after 2 years into pure anaesthetics training (feel like I would deskill a lot/would be very difficult to come back as an SpR). Given this, would post-ST5 be better?

Thoughts from current trainees?
If you did no clinical work at all during your masters then you might find yourself deskilled when re-starting ST3, but it's very common to locum during research posts for extra cash and to keep up skills. The same would occur later, but you'd be starting from a higher baseline I guess! It's not uncommon to take time out after core training, so obviously people manage. The other time would be post-FRCA, so usually after ST4/5.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by ecolier)
Not an anaesthetic trainee, but I would not agree that coming back after 2 years mean that you know very little / nothing.

(1) I presume you would still be doing a medical related masters
(2) You can always locum during your academic years to maintain your skills (and earn however little you can in your spare time, because you'll need every penny!)

I wouldn't worry about taking time off between jobs (especially if out of training i.e. between CT2 / ST3 or CT3 / ST4) - make sure you speak to consultants / programme directors and ask for their opinion too.
(Original post by Helenia)
If you did no clinical work at all during your masters then you might find yourself deskilled when re-starting ST3, but it's very common to locum during research posts for extra cash and to keep up skills. The same would occur later, but you'd be starting from a higher baseline I guess! It's not uncommon to take time out after core training, so obviously people manage. The other time would be post-FRCA, so usually after ST4/5.
Thank you for both of your response - very much appreciated,

So, I should've mentioned, I'm planning on doing a masters in the USA (1-2 years depending on where I go). There, I would not be eligible for a work visa, so it would be 100% non-clinical.

If it were a 2 year degree, would you agree that post-FRCA would be more sensible or am I over-thinking it? If it were a 1 year-course, then maybe i could manage it post-ACCS/pre-ST3?

do let me know your thoughts!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (393)
56.55%
I don't have everything I need (302)
43.45%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed