The Student Room Group

Accomodation isn't even covered by maintanence loan

As stated above what the heck do I do?
My estimated loan is around 5 grand for maintanence yet my accomodation is 6 grand.
What do?
I have no savings and if I'm lucky I may raise just enough for the accomodation but HOW THE **** AM I SUPOSSED TO EVEN EAT?!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DarkIronsBarzakh
My estimated loan is around 5 grand for maintanence yet my accomodation is 6 grand.
What do?
I have no savings and if I'm lucky I may raise just enough for the accomodation but HOW THE **** AM I SUPOSSED TO EVEN EAT?!

You need to ask your parents for contributions towards your living costs and/or find a part-time job.

There might also be merit-based scholarships available to you depending on what you study - look at university funding pages.
Your household income must be around 50k? So your parents are expected to make a contribution, i.e. to make up the rest. Your maintenance loan will be reduced even if they don't make that contribution. Most commonly overcome by taking on a part-time job.
What do?

You get a job and/or ask your parents for money.
Original post by Blue_Cow
You need to ask your parents for contributions towards your living costs and/or find a part-time job.

There might also be merit-based scholarships available to you depending on what you study - look at university funding pages.

I've already looked and there is nothing available for computer science. Neither can my parents provide money unfortunatly.
Original post by DrawTheLine
You get a job and/or ask your parents for money.

A job and a degree? idk that sounds too risky.
find somewhere cheaper
I've already looked and there is nothing available for computer science. Neither can my parents provide money unfortunatly.

You'll have to find a part time job then.

Might be able to find a cushy student software dev role somewhere? Especially if you're studying CS.

Plenty of people do this.
Reply 8
Is £6k the cheapest?
Original post by Blue_Cow
You'll have to find a part time job then.

Might be able to find a cushy student software dev role somewhere? Especially if you're studying CS.

Plenty of people do this.

Thanks for the help, I'll just find a job when I move down and try live of what I have for that time.
Sucks but eh.
lots of students work over the summer and Christmas breaks they may just be crappy retail jobs or bar work but that's how it i unless as someone said you find a student software dev role.
Reply 11
What do?

At which university?

Finding cheaper accommodation and having a part-time job, as already mentioned, is the usual solution.
Thanks for the help, I'll just find a job when I move down and try live of what I have for that time.
Sucks but eh.

Yup. Crappy situation.

Working in the summer will help a lot though. Having some financial breathing space especially during fresher's is nice.

Nope, plenty of students do it. I'm doing it. My flatmate is doing it. It's what you have to do if you want money.

Yeah, you might want to begin looking for a part-time job and do that job along with your studies, bro. Doesn't have to be retail, since it would benefit you to look for an part-time internship for Computer Science, since that "gives" you "experience" in the field you want to get a job in, which will be helpful in establishing your career. Look online to see if there are any part-time internships, and if there are none, try phoning up some companies to ask. If they say no, improve your negotiating technique after asking them if they can refer you to someone else who might be interested in taking you on after a meaningful discussion of sorts. Plus, this is good networking, which will help you especially when you are older.

If that fails, then retail my friend.
Reply 15

Not trying to sound rude or anything but your degree isn’t going to take up all of your time. I know it is “full-time” study but university is a lifestyle and at that stage in your life, you’d be expected to organise your time and other commitements will be expected as opposed to just constant study. So many people have jobs whilst at university in order to get extra money.
It's a completely broken system, I have exactly the same issue. The expectation is that your parents pay your way through, regardless of how many kids and other outgoings they have. In my personal situation, my family would not afford to eat if they were to pay for accommodation and food etc. which is why I have had to chose London unis only, so I can commute.The only other way is to get a job, and go for the cheapest accommodation and food you can find. Tbh, I now understand why so many students are drug dealers...Good luck.
Take a gap year. Get a year in industry placement. Save up. Get cheaper accommodation. Get a part time job. Ask your parents if they can help with anything (eg covering phone bills, transport home, food loyalty points etc).
Original post by MrMmstr
It's a completely broken system, I have exactly the same issue. The expectation is that your parents pay your way through, regardless of how many kids and other outgoings they have. In my personal situation, my family would not afford to eat if they were to pay for accommodation and food etc. which is why I have had to chose London unis only, so I can commute.The only other way is to get a job, and go for the cheapest accommodation and food you can find. Tbh, I now understand why so many students are drug dealers...Good luck.

If you’re staying at home then your parents will still be paying for your accommodation and food.
Original post by PQ
If you’re staying at home then your parents will still be paying for your accommodation and food.

I think @MrMmstr meant they wouldn't be able to afford to contribute towards 2 lots of accomodation - their own and his, if he lived away from home

Quick Reply