here2panic
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Hey has anyone applied for the Ofcom Grad Scheme, specifically policy development?

I haven't heard back since sending off my essay!
workbyday
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hi, I've applied for the policy development scheme too and also haven't heard back. I'm sure we will hear back soon! Good luck
ElizabethG1996
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hello! I have also applied and haven’t heard anything yet. Good luck!
Last edited by ElizabethG1996; 10 months ago
Grad2019
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hi,
I've applied for policy too. Because they said we would hear early February I emailed yesterday to see what was happening. They replied quickly and said they had more essays than they thought so it should be next week that they get back to us.
oxfordgrad2
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hi there,I work at Ofcom currently and was on their grad scheme a few years ago and have also been on the assessment panel at ACs for the last two years.This year HR have changed the way they recruit the grad scheme (so before this year it was managed in house, now its done a bit more externally), so thats the reason why they might be a bit slow replying.Any questions though about the grad scheme, the assessment day or life at Ofcom - happy to answer. And all the best.
Grad2019
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Thanks. How did you find the scheme overall? What has it been like going from the scheme into another role?
(Original post by oxfordgrad2)
Hi there,I work at Ofcom currently and was on their grad scheme a few years ago and have also been on the assessment panel at ACs for the last two years.This year HR have changed the way they recruit the grad scheme (so before this year it was managed in house, now its done a bit more externally), so thats the reason why they might be a bit slow replying.Any questions though about the grad scheme, the assessment day or life at Ofcom - happy to answer. And all the best.
Econ17392
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Any tips on how best to prepare for the assessment centre?
(Original post by oxfordgrad2)
here2panic
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Anyone heard anything?
Grad2019
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Last update I got on 4 March said they have more quality applications than anticipated. They will get back to me "early April at the latest." Also said assessment centres are running from mid-march through to the end of April, so surely some people have heard?
(Original post by here2panic)
Anyone heard anything?
ElizabethG1996
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I got the same email and haven't heard anything else yet!
oxfordgrad2
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hi all - just to add that the same new external company are running/looking after all the grad scheme pathways, and they are still running the economist pathways A/Cs as of last Friday, so it maybe a case that the backlog is causing an effect on the generalist pathway ACs
oxfordgrad2
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hi there. Sure - though I would caveat its slightly changed from when I did it - they have now introduced for this year (a dreaded....I hate them) group task activity. However, the other two activities, a competency based interview and an individual presentation (inc. questions on your essay), remain the same. I'm happy to advise on group tasks but given I was terrible at other ACs with them (e.g. FCA, Deloitte, KWM, other companies) I am maybe not the person to ask.....

You can do a lot of preparation beforehand for the competency based interview - its normally 10 questions, the first of which is 'Tell us what you know about Ofcom', and this is where prep beforehand will pay dividends (when I was on the AC panel, anyone who said it was formed of 5 regulators before and now has new roles from the BBC and possibly more in the future with online regulation got a massive double tick from me). Throw in where our legal powers come from (clue - 2003 and 2011 Acts), our duty, our mission (looking after consumers, etc) and a few recent cases we have done and you cant go wrong. The more research the better. I was amazed by the number of candidates who tripped up on this. As for the other 9 questions, they are all standard STAR questions - tell us a time you showed teamwork, blah blah blah. Again, as an assessor, I found it most impressive when candidates picked varied examples, and if possible, 9 different examples - but dont fret if you cant come up with 9 separate ones. But STAR is really important - its so easy (and I have seen much more senior colleagues applying for jobs) to not tell us what was YOUR role, what was the OUTCOME, what was the RESULT, etc etc! Again, a well executed STAR answer really does push you much further to getting an offer. Try to choose a mix from personal, jobs, extra curricular activities. Personally I would avoid using examples from coursework/exams/etc. Its cliche to say - but prepare 2/3 questions for the interviewers at the end - whether that be general ones asking the interviewers what Ofcom could do better, or for our views on things, the future of Ofcom, our strategic priorities. If you've had a good interview, it made me and the other assessors like the candidate even more. If you had an okay interview, it was something we consider - but to stress, its not a huge factor. There were candidates who had a good interview, asked no questions and got an offer. Top tip - dont feel the need to launch into an answer! Take some notes with you, and when asked, take a sip of water, pause and then answer! I know the pressure to respond immediately but stay calm - that shows composure under pressure, a much valued trait!

The presentation will be a mix of the assessors questioning your essay, plus your presentation. Re-read your essay a few days before, and then the day before, and expect the assessor to take a directly opposing view to see how you respond to challenge. However logical your argument, we were always told to take the opposing view (even if we agreed with your essay!). As for the presentation, its normally a recent-ish real life Ofcom document (e.g. it was operators failure to meet their quality targets a few years ago), with a short document, and asks you what we should do, or something like. The key is to pick out the relevant information, make a cohesive argument, and again defend it under questioning. Try to think a bit out of the box in terms of solutions/next steps - e.g. sure, Ofcom can hand financial penalties, but thats kind of obvious, could it do something else, like maybe ask are an operators targets sustainable, maybe they are the wrong level? Again, candidates who scored most highly here didnt all come up with ingenious solutions - thats because your style of presentation is also important.

Dont do what one candidate did two years ago and, when we (the assessors) said we would start by introducing ourselves, the candidate said "oh, only if you must".....! Rarrrrrrrrrrrr

Hope that helps! I did loaaaaaaaaaaaaaaads of ACs for all types of companies and remember being annoyed ** everytime I got a rejection. Just keep going. Ofcom is a great place to work, it has amazing offices on the river thames, the pay is very competitive (starting c.£30,000 for generalists in Year 1, rising to c. £32,000 after the graduate scheme), lovely people (on the whole... - but Ofcom definitely has more lovely people as a % of its workforce than other companies) - clearly, because I am still there!
Any tips on how best to prepare for the assessment centre?
Rizwan1
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hi Oxfordgrad2,Thanks for the valuable tips.If possible,please let me know the tips regarding group activity task as a result of change this year? What it could be like? Any clues?Thanks again!Kind regards Rizwan
Rizwan1
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hi oxfordgrad2,Thanks for the valuable tips. Any tips for group activity tasks coming this year as a change?Kind regards
Abtrey
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hi all, I, too, sent off my essay and I'm yet to hear back as they'v said that there were a lot of good candidates and essays. I applied for the Policy Development role, too. I really hope I make the AC stage as i'v yet to get there for any of the other graduate scheme I applied to, and often tripping up on the Video interview stage, so I was really surprised when I got the email saying that I had in fact passed the video interview stage.
Grad2019
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I've been told by Bright that the absolute deadline for them getting back to us 12 April (this Friday)
Has anyone heard yet?
Abtrey
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Grad2019)
I've been told by Bright that the absolute deadline for them getting back to us 12 April (this Friday)
Has anyone heard yet?
I emailed them back to find out when I were to hear back regarding my application, and I too was told the 12th of April. Fingers crossed we make it to the Assessment Centre stage.
spa14
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Anyone heard anything yet? Been checking my emails all day!
Mjas
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Me too...
brisrw
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Me too and nothing yet.. I phoned earlier and they said they'd get back to me today but doesn't seem likely now
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How many universities have you heard back from?

0 (90)
13.04%
1 (89)
12.9%
2 (89)
12.9%
18.84%
22.46%
19.86%

Watched Threads