stress-eating
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I was talking to some other prospective medical students, and they seemed to think that if your school offers 4 A Levels, then you should take 4 if you want to get into Cambrige (especially if you go to private school.) Is this true? I've also heard about some non medics getting 3 A level offers from Cambridge so they have the freedom to drop at anytime, but this isn't a thing for medics apparently- if you apply with four, your offer is for 4 A Levels.
sotor
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
you definately don't need 4 to get in! four could actually weaken your chances as a levels are difficult and you don't want to spread yourself too thin.

i can't speak for what offer you'll get, but i know someone who got into cambridge who's doing 4 a levels, but his offer only specified 3.
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Friend of mine at my school (private) does 3 A-levels (maths chem bio), could've easily done further maths as a 4th but doesn't, and she has an offer for medicine at Cambridge.
So uhh I don't know what these prospective students are on about.
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by stress-eating)
I was talking to some other prospective medical students, and they seemed to think that if your school offers 4 A Levels, then you should take 4 if you want to get into Cambrige (especially if you go to private school.) Is this true? I've also heard about some non medics getting 3 A level offers from Cambridge so they have the freedom to drop at anytime, but this isn't a thing for medics apparently- if you apply with four, your offer is for 4 A Levels.
You can't drop an A level that's on your UCAS form without letting unis know - they can then withdraw offers.
Last edited by Muttley79; 1 year ago
Stratx
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Most offers will only be 3 A-Level offers. If they feel your fourth subject may help or you are a weaker candidate they may give you a 4 A-Level offer but it is by no means a requirement to get in.
jonathanjames
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by stress-eating)
If u r a straight 9 student take four, people honestly hype up the difficulty and in my school at least 80 take four and 20 get like 2 a stars and 2 as
username3941996
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by jonathanjames)
If u r a straight 9 student take four, people honestly hype up the difficulty and in my school at least 80 take four and 20 get like 2 a stars and 2 as
Not really. Cambridge only requires three. A four is unnecessary. Three A* is more than necessary
jonathanjames
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Professional G)
Not really. Cambridge only requires three. A four is unnecessary. Three A* is more than necessary
They're obviously going to differentiate between 3 a stars and 4 a stars with two identical candidates, and you're more than likely going to go up against ppl with the same profile as u
username3941996
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by jonathanjames)
They're obviously going to differentiate between 3 a stars and 4 a stars with two identical candidates, and you're more than likely going to go up against ppl with the same profile as u
You do know when you meet their requirements, they won’t care for grades anymore. They will need something that singles out you from the rest. This can come in from achievements, personal statement or from your interview. There are people here who have gotten 4 A* but have rejected pre interview and there’s people who have gotten the minimal requirements for the same course and have been invited to interview
WanderlustWilson
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I found that because my GCSEs weren’t exceptional taking four counteracted the slight negative pull of them. I now have a four a level offer for medicine. But make sure that if you do, you are aware that the work load might actually kill you!! It almost has for me!
Deggs_14
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Doing maths, and further maths combined with two sciences for natural sciences or medicine would help in my opinion.
WanderlustWilson
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Deggs_14)
Doing maths, and further maths combined with two sciences for natural sciences or medicine would help in my opinion.
From what I’ve seen, taking maths chemistry and bio along with a contrasting subject seems to work quite well. I take psychology, but I’ve seen a lot of people with languages be successful.
It is worth noting that chances of receiving an offer with a contrasting subject are significantly lower then with maths or physics if you 9nly take 3 a-levels!
marshmallowy
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by sotor)
you definately don't need 4 to get in! four could actually weaken your chances as a levels are difficult and you don't want to spread yourself too thin.

i can't speak for what offer you'll get, but i know someone who got into cambridge who's doing 4 a levels, but his offer only specified 3.
Do you know what subject they do and what college they applied to? Some colleges make an offer based on the forth A - level and some don't. So I'm trying to figure out which ones don't so I can apply to those colleges because I want to do 4 A-levels without it decreasing my chance of getting in (in case I don't meet the offer solely because of the 4th subject - assuming I meet it for the other 3).
sotor
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by marshmallowy)
Do you know what subject they do and what college they applied to? Some colleges make an offer based on the forth A - level and some don't. So I'm trying to figure out which ones don't so I can apply to those colleges because I want to do 4 A-levels without it decreasing my chance of getting in (in case I don't meet the offer solely because of the 4th subject - assuming I meet it for the other 3).
natural sciences at downing, they gave him conditions for chem phys and further maths but not maths so offer was A*A*A)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (431)
67.77%
No (205)
32.23%

Watched Threads