Geography at Royal Holloway or Reading??

Watch
Scnnn01
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi, I cannot decide between Royal Holloway and Reading to study geography (physical and human). I was really impressed with both the unis on their open day and have been lucky to get unconditional offers for both of these making it a very tricky choice.
Has anyone else chosen between these two universities, if so what made you choose either way?
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Scnnn01)
Hi, I cannot decide between Royal Holloway and Reading to study geography (physical and human). I was really impressed with both the unis on their open day and have been lucky to get unconditional offers for both of these making it a very tricky choice.
Has anyone else chosen between these two universities, if so what made you choose either way?
I have visited both Unis and my daughter did her Masters at Reading. The town of Reading is a much livelier and more student friendly place than the area around Royal Holloway, (which is pretty dead) so I imagine the social side is better at Reading. But they both have nice campuses and decent reputations, so I guess it's up to you
Scnnn01
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Thank you for the reply! I had got the impression that there might be more to do in the town of Reading so it is definitely something to consider.
UniofReading
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hello!

Congratulations on the unconditional offers! That's amazing, well done. We're so glad you're considering studying at Reading! I'm in my final year here and loved my four years, a combination of the campus which has everything you need and great lecturers/teaching.

I've got many friends who study Geography, and they love the flexibility of being able to pick their own optional modules so they can tailor their degrees to what they like. I've been in touch with one of our student ambassadors who studies Geography so I'll let you know what he says!

In the meantime if you have anymore questions then just let us know!

Alice
Food science final year
Royal Holloway, University of London
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi Scnnn01,

Congratulations on your unconditional offers!

I'm currently studying Geography at Royal Holloway and when choosing which university to go to, the most important factor for me was the course and Royal Holloway had more modules that suited me and my interests. There are plenty of module options at Royal Holloway and getting to pick what you want to study in second and third year is great for developing your academic interests! There is also the option to take a module outside of the Geography department in your second and third year which broadens your study opportunities! One of the most exciting things about the course at Royal Holloway is the field trips. In your first year you get to go to Nerja in Spain for a week with the fees included in your course, so you don’t have to pay any extra. This was a super fun week which really allowed friendships to develop, alongside specific interests in geography as part of your individual project which you do at the end of the week. As a second year there are a choice of six field trips to go on, I’m off to New York next month! Other places to go are Sicily, Cyprus, Malawi, London and South East England. These trips are great to look forward to and I can’t wait to go to New York!

In terms of the university itself, I loved the campus when I came to visit and now with the new library it’s truly stunning! There are a range of accommodation options, including the new George Eliot halls which I lived in in first year. There is an accommodation type to suit everyone with an array of facilities and prices found across different accommodation types. Campus has a community feel with everything you could need on site such as a range of food outlets, a small shop, a weekly fresh fruit and veg market, a picturesque woodland, and a health centre. There are many activities including various different sports and societies, and three fun nights out a week.

The location of Royal Holloway means that there’s lots to do around it. For instance, you can travel to Staines by train which only takes five minutes. Staines has lots of restaurants, some shops and a cinema so is a great place to go for some easy entertainment. Just a walk away from campus is Virginia Water, a large park which is good to go on a walk round and enjoy with friends throughout the year. Other places to visit would be Windsor which is accessible by bus or Thorpe Park if you were looking for a fun day out. London is only 40 minutes away by train so is easily accessible!

If you wanted to ask me anything else, you can chat to me on our website here.

Jasmin
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (43)
14.88%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (94)
32.53%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (36)
12.46%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (24)
8.3%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (17)
5.88%
I think it's an unfair expectation (72)
24.91%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.04%

Watched Threads