The Student Room Group

Does an international student for undergrad become a resident for postgrad degrees?

I am a British citizen who has been living in the US for the last 8 years. If I do an undergraduate degree in England, paying international student tuition, after living in the UK for those 3 years, would I then count as an English resident who pays home tuition for either a masters degree or a postgrad medical degree?
Original post by mar.02
I am a British citizen who has been living in the US for the last 8 years. If I do an undergraduate degree in England, paying international student tuition, after living in the UK for those 3 years, would I then count as an English resident who pays home tuition for either a masters degree or a postgrad medical degree?

Ordinary residency for student finance purposes specifically EXCLUDES any residency “for the purposes of education”.

You would need to demonstrate that you would have moved to the UK even if you weren’t studying for a degree (the easiest way to do that would be to move to the UK and work before your course and to continue working after the degree - and to do both for more than a summer job period of time).
Original post by mar.02

Hi there,

If you have lived in the UK for a three year period before the beginning of your course you are classed as a home student. You would need to speak with the course provider to see if they class you as this also as they may have different requirements to us.

Thanks, Erin
Reply 3
Original post by PQ
Ordinary residency for student finance purposes specifically EXCLUDES any residency “for the purposes of education”.

You would need to demonstrate that you would have moved to the UK even if you weren’t studying for a degree (the easiest way to do that would be to move to the UK and work before your course and to continue working after the degree - and to do both for more than a summer job period of time).

Thanks!
Original post by mar.02
Thanks!

Why did you move to the US 8 years ago? was it due to your parents moving?

If so then you might be eligible for home fees/student support if you move back to the UK and work for a year when you turn 18. That would demonstrate that your stay in the US was temporary and due to the decisions of your parents and would shift your ordinary residence to the UK for the 8 year period you lived in the US.
Original post by mar.02
Thanks!

If you get in touch with https://www.ukcisa.org.uk/About-UKCISA/Contact-Us then they're the experts on ordinary residence and the rules around student support and fee status.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending