The Student Room Group

Applying to university as a mature student

I've been out of formal education for about 8 years. I would like to know, how likely am I to get on to a Computer Information Systems degree course with no computing qualifications?
Reply 1
I’m in a similar situation to you. If you have some education 8 years ago at Level 2 and 3 you might get onto a foundation course. Otherwise you’ll probably need to do an access to HE course
Reply 2
Original post by OBaIMA
I’m in a similar situation to you. If you have some education 8 years ago at Level 2 and 3 you might get onto a foundation course. Otherwise you’ll probably need to do an access to HE course

I only have 3 years of funding left so I don't know what to do really
Reply 3
Do the access course. You can apply for a undergrad degree with no qualifications but you’ll be incredibly lucky to get an offer. If you do the access course you get a government loan of upto £3500 for fees then it will give you the qualifications to get into an undergraduate degree next year
Original post by Islandguy91
I've been out of formal education for about 8 years. I would like to know, how likely am I to get on to a Computer Information Systems degree course with no computing qualifications?

What qualifications and experience do you have? You don't need a computing or computer science background to get onto a degree - the universities teach everything from basic principles upwards.

Entry criteria are usually either related to A-Levels (particularly Maths for some of the highest ranked universities), or UCAS points. Level 3 BTEC courses often count too. A CertHE might count as well if you'd been at university before without finishing the course.

Also, mature students are sometimes given more flexibility. But realistically nobody here will be able to give you an answer - the only thing you can do is contact the universities you're interested in directly and find out what they'll accept.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending