I need help coding a news paper article for my thematic analysis

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I find it soo hard because I don’t know if it’s right or wrong. Is a quote from the newspaper says “I have feelings about my feelings” I said that they over think (can overthinking and sadness be a theme btw?)
My question is how is it like experiencing anxiety?
Thank you in advance x
doodle_333
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think you're conflating feelings/thinking/sadness there... Ask your teacher but my understanding is you can't infer anything, so talking about feelings a lot would be a theme, perhaps with a subtheme of 'lots'/'too many'/'sensitivity'.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by doodle_333)
I think you're conflating feelings/thinking/sadness there... Ask your teacher but my understanding is you can't infer anything, so talking about feelings a lot would be a theme, perhaps with a subtheme of 'lots'/'too many'/'sensitivity'.
Ahh thank you very muchh x
Can you tell me how you managed to find a theme?
doodle_333
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Ahh thank you very muchh x
Can you tell me how you managed to find a theme?
You can do it in two ways generally, not sure if thematic analysis expects a specific one... it's a while since I did research.

You can read through everything and then decide on themes you know you saw repeatedly in the text and look back to find examples.

Or you can make notes on the side as you go about key words/gist/topic and look at what comes up repeatedly to use for categories.

The way you structure then depends on your findings. Could be you write your whole paper on how anxiety sufferers discuss feelings, could be that's one of theme of 5, could be you have emotions + practical as major themes and divide them into subcategories eg emotions - too many, confusing, negative perception.

The nice thing about qualitative analysis like this is you really let the data speak to you rather than going in with a preconceived question, you see what naturally appears.

Again, if you're unsure I'd strongly suggest asking your tutors! I've been quite involved in research but my published stuff wasn't using thematic analysis so I'm far from an expert on what your particular tutors prefer.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by doodle_333)
You can do it in two ways generally, not sure if thematic analysis expects a specific one... it's a while since I did research.

You can read through everything and then decide on themes you know you saw repeatedly in the text and look back to find examples.

Or you can make notes on the side as you go about key words/gist/topic and look at what comes up repeatedly to use for categories.

The way you structure then depends on your findings. Could be you write your whole paper on how anxiety sufferers discuss feelings, could be that's one of theme of 5, could be you have emotions + practical as major themes and divide them into subcategories eg emotions - too many, confusing, negative perception.

The nice thing about qualitative analysis like this is you really let the data speak to you rather than going in with a preconceived question, you see what naturally appears.

Again, if you're unsure I'd strongly suggest asking your tutors! I've been quite involved in research but my published stuff wasn't using thematic analysis so I'm far from an expert on what your particular tutors prefer.
We were told to make notes on the side and basically analyse the whole article but looking at each line individually. But I kind of get it now. We have 4 articles we need to code and I think we need about one theme for each article.

I’m really not enjoying qualitative reports, it reminds me of English in year 11 haha. I found quantitive way easier and more interesting. How about you?

Thank you btw. You really helped a lot xx
doodle_333
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
We were told to make notes on the side and basically analyse the whole article but looking at each line individually. But I kind of get it now. We have 4 articles we need to code and I think we need about one theme for each article.

I’m really not enjoying qualitative reports, it reminds me of English in year 11 haha. I found quantitive way easier and more interesting. How about you?

Thank you btw. You really helped a lot xx
I hated the qualitative stuff during my undergrad, I found it a bit weird and forced with the methodology. Like they were trying too hard to be rigorous. But I did some research after graduating which was qualitative and really enjoyed that, I used conversation analysis then which I think felt more natural to me.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (219)
43.71%
I'm worried that I'm not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (56)
11.18%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (38)
7.58%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as 'lesser' because I didn't take exams (106)
21.16%
I don't think that receiving these grades will impact my future (55)
10.98%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.39%

Watched Threads