Will I be accepted to study accounting and finance at uni?

Watch
Furious7722
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm kind of worried I may not be selected because I'm not doing A level maths...
I'm in year 12 and I'm currently studying chemistry, biology and sociology and core maths(level 3 certificate). I want to go to surrey university and it says maths isn't needed/compulsory for the course there ...but what else can i do to make my personal statement stand out? And does most people who apply for the course do maths or buisness at A level?
cheesecakelove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Furious7722)
I'm kind of worried I may not be selected because I'm not doing A level maths...
I'm in year 12 and I'm currently studying chemistry, biology and sociology and core maths(level 3 certificate). I want to go to surrey university and it says maths isn't needed/compulsory for the course there ...but what else can i do to make my personal statement stand out? And does most people who apply for the course do maths or buisness at A level?
A lot of students who study accounting and finance have previously studied Maths at A-level, but if the course who are applying for says it is not compulsory, then you don't need to have done. In terms of making your personal statement stand out, you may find it useful to demonstrate your passion and the reasons you want to study accounting and finance, e.g. related work experience or volunteering.
University of Surrey
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi Furious7722,

A Level Maths isn't an essential requirement for the Accounting and Finance BSc, however GCSE Maths Grade B is an essential requirement so applicants would need to be comfortable with studying Maths to at least that level and have the expectation of studying it to a higher level within the context of Accounting and Finance.

The University of Surrey now also runs an Accounting and Finance with Foundation Year programme which may be something perhaps to consider. Further details about our Foundation year programmes can be found here: https://www.surrey.ac.uk/foundation-courses

You are welcome to contact the Admissions Team on 01483 682222 or on email: [email protected] if you would like further information, they would be happy to help.

I hope you find this useful

Thanks,

Nick

(Original post by Furious7722)
Furious7722
Rep:
?
(Original post by University of Surrey)
Hi Furious7722,

A Level Maths isn't an essential requirement for the Accounting and Finance BSc, however GCSE Maths Grade B is an essential requirement so applicants would need to be comfortable with studying Maths to at least that level and have the expectation of studying it to a higher level within the context of Accounting and Finance.

The University of Surrey now also runs an Accounting and Finance with Foundation Year programme which may be something perhaps to consider. Further details about our Foundation year programmes can be found here: https://www.surrey.ac.uk/foundation-courses

You are welcome to contact the Admissions Team on 01483 682222 or on email: [email protected] if you would like further information, they would be happy to help.

I hope you find this useful

Thanks,

Nick
Thank you for your advice 😅
Furious7722
Rep:
?
(Original post by cheesecakelove)
A lot of students who study accounting and finance have previously studied Maths at A-level, but if the course who are applying for says it is not compulsory, then you don't need to have done. In terms of making your personal statement stand out, you may find it useful to demonstrate your passion and the reasons you want to study accounting and finance, e.g. related work experience or volunteering.
Yeah I've been thinking of doing work expirience at an accounting firm... Thank you for your advice😅
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (103)
61.68%
No (64)
38.32%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed