The Student Room Group

Pregnant ISIS bride wishes to return to the UK

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47229181

No thank you.

UPDATE.

Begum has reportedly had her U.K. citizenship revoked https://news.sky.com/story/is-bride-shamima-begum-having-british-citizenship-removed-11642230

It has been reported that she was rights to Bangladeshi citizenship

EDIT: It appears her mother has Bangladeshi citizenship, which upon being born Begum was automatically entitled to
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/feb/15/mi6-chief-britons-joined-isis-cannot-stopped-returning-shamima-begum

https://twitter.com/skynewsbreak/status/1097943132082196485?s=21
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

'She said she'd had two other babies who had both died.'
'Speaking from a camp in Syria, she said she was nine months pregnant and wanted to come home for the sake of her baby.'

So it took her until pregnancy #3 to realise a war-torn Syrian battlefield isn't the best place to raise a baby...

If she were to return to the UK, I highly doubt she'd be able to get any sort of employment without a new identity, so her and her baby would be living on the tax payer.

If it were just her, I'd say leave her in Syria. She's made her bed and she should lay in it now. However, assuming the baby survives, it shouldn't have to suffer for their idiotic mother's choices.
I dont think we can prevent it, but if I had the choice I would block her return as a security risk.

This is a pretty good article exploring what the options are for the UK authorities. If you intend to read this thread, then the article is definitely worth a read so you can see the issues and be a bit more clued what it is about.

Shamima Begum: What can the UK do about the IS teenager?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47240100
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by CTLeafez
'Speaking from a camp in Syria, she said she was nine months pregnant and wanted to come home for the sake of her baby.'

So it took her until pregnancy #3 to realise a war-torn Syrian battlefield isn't the best place to raise a baby...

If she were to return to the UK, I highly doubt she'd be able to get any sort of employment without a new identity, so her and her baby would be living on the tax payer.

If it were just her, I'd say leave her in Syria. She's made her bed and she should lay in it now. However, assuming the baby survives, it shouldn't have to suffer for their idiotic mother's choices.

I would also assume that there is no way that the U.K. would let her bring up the child, and it would be in social care.

The fact she outright said she doesn’t regret her choice suggests she still has terrorist symathies.
Original post by Andrew97
I would also assume that there is no way that the U.K. would let her bring up the child, and it would be in social care.

The fact she outright said she doesn’t regret her choice suggests she still has terrorist symathies.

Most definitely. Well at least in care the baby can get a decent upbringing. Maybe even the grandparents could raise them. I assume the parents' of this girl aren't the ones who radicalised her.

I wonder if she's proud with herself... She left for Syria at 16, now at 19, she's married to a Jihadist in prison, been pregnant three times and indirectly assisted in her friend's death.
The **** did I just read?!

Asked by Times journalist Anthony Loyd whether her experiences of living in the one-time IS stronghold of Raqqa had lived up to her aspirations, Ms Begum said: "Yes, it did. It was like a normal life. The life that they show on the propaganda videos - it's a normal life.
"Every now and then there are bombs and stuff. But other than that..."
"I'm not the same silly little 15-year-old schoolgirl who ran away from Bethnal Green four years ago," she told Mr Loyd.
"I don't regret coming here."

**** right off.

Why on Earth are the BBC giving her any daylight?
Most definitely. Well at least in care the baby can get a decent upbringing. Maybe even the grandparents could raise them. I assume the parents' of this girl aren't the ones who radicalised her.

I wonder if she's proud with herself... She left for Syria at 16, now at 19, she's married to a Jihadist in prison, been pregnant three times and indirectly assisted in her friend's death.

She says she has no remorse. She also states that it was ‘normal life’.

She’s a lost cause.
Reply 7
keep her out, no sympathy for her.
And this is coming from an Asian working class Muslim
It’s difficult - she was still a child when she left the UK, and had been groomed online by the adults who radicalised her. In the UK we do judge children more leniently than we judge adults - should that extend to her?

Plus, she’s a British citizen - not a Syrian one - so why should she be their problem?
(edited 5 years ago)
If she has no regrets then why does she want to come back? I’d understand if she was shocked and horrified by the life she had there and felt she made a mistake- after all she left at such a young age and could have been easily led astray- and wanted to return home but it seems that she still supports them. I think it would be best for her to stay there
(edited 5 years ago)
Russian air strike please. Let's use taxpayer money to help genuine refugees and not allow her to spread her cancerous ideology in the UK.
Absolutely not.

The cheek of these people who, literally, fight against us is insane.

Awful awful person.
We have enough idiots in the country, she chose to go so she can live with her decision.
(edited 5 years ago)
Clearly anyone who disagrees with her is a racist islamophobe...

She should be shot never mind be allowed back

The child isn’t British
Original post by 999tigger
I dont think we can prevent it, but if I had the choice I would block her return as a security risk.

A country can do what it likes.
Original post by Andrew97

Indeed she is completely undesirable and a definite high risk person.
Original post by Occitanie
The **** did I just read?!

Asked by Times journalist Anthony Loyd whether her experiences of living in the one-time IS stronghold of Raqqa had lived up to her aspirations, Ms Begum said: "Yes, it did. It was like a normal life. The life that they show on the propaganda videos - it's a normal life.
"Every now and then there are bombs and stuff. But other than that..."
"I'm not the same silly little 15-year-old schoolgirl who ran away from Bethnal Green four years ago," she told Mr Loyd.
"I don't regret coming here."

**** right off.

Why on Earth are the BBC giving her any daylight?

Because it’s a follow up to a sizeable news story a few years ago.

They have also done a good service letting us know this person hasn’t changed at all and regrets nothing so the UK public on mass won’t have sympathy for her.
Original post by LeapingLucy
It’s difficult - she was still a child when she left the UK, and had been groomed online by the adults who radicalised her. In the UK we do judge children more leniently than we judge adults - should that extend to her?

Plus, she’s a British citizen - not a Syrian one - so why should she be their problem?

She shouldn’t be anyone’s problem but an mi6 hitman’s

Quick Reply

Latest