Pregnant ISIS bride wishes to return to the UK Watch

Occitanie
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
I can see that point, although by connection it is also a risk. Without wishing to sound callous, if she makes it back to the U.K. with the child she should not be allowed to bring it up
Isn’t she already in the UK?

I watched a video of her in a news article for the Independent.
SoulfulTwist
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Occitanie)
I hope you’re joking.
No. Whichever way you look at it, the child is not at fault.

(Original post by Andrew97)
I can see that point, although by connection it is also a risk. Without wishing to sound callous, if she makes it back to the U.K. with the child she should not be allowed to bring it up
Poor child.
Andrew97
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Isn’t she already in the UK?

I watched a video of her in a news article for the Independent.
Nope. She was interviewed by the Times from a refugee camp in or near Syria, hence she wants to return.
Occitanie
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
Is this some sort of threat? It sounds like you believe in mob justice. You have no clue what the real story is here, or about her. you are just braying for vengeance against a young girl who may well have simply been fooled into going there.
Neither do you, but you seem to be leaning towards welcoming her back into society, which speaks volumes of who you are.

Whether she was fooled or not is irrelevant right now because she says she doesn’t have any remorse. She also quite clearly still supports their ideology.

This has has nothing to do with mob justice. This is about our country putting our safety first.
Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Neither do you, but you seem to be leaning towards welcoming her back into society, which speaks volumes of who you are.

Whether she was fooled or not is irrelevant right now because she says she doesn’t have any remorse. She also quite clearly still supports their ideology.

This has has nothing to do with mob justice. This is about our country putting our safety first.
As I already pointed out, her public statements may be motivated by fear (and from all that we know of IS, very likely are), so treating them like the words of a mature politician is a bit ridiculous. As for 'welcoming her back into society', in fact, that would be the approach most likely to produce positive long term results. The desire for revenge against people generally doesn't. Of course, as I've also said, if she's guilty of crimes, that's different - and apparently that is being investigated which is fine.

Incidentally, the former Met Police Commissioner said she should be treated as a victim and not as a criminal, unless there is evidence to the contrary. So I'm not exactly out of the mainstream here.
LeapingLucy
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
“By saying that she should be left in Syria you are saying that Syrian lives are worth less.” - lol what?!

Beside all of the whataboutery in your reply, I want to ask you whether you’re British.

What kind of idea will this give to other Jihadis wanting to come back to the UK or their respective countries in Europe?

She wanted to leave, she has no remorse, she’s still clearly supportive of ISIS and their ideology, yet we’re on the brink of at least considering to let her back into the country she turned her back on?!
She has to live somewhere. ISIS barely exists anymore, so she can't stay there.

You believe there is a risk that she will commit terrorist attacks - so why is it preferable for her do so against Syrians? ISIS killed far more Syrians than westerners, so if she is dangerous then they are just as much at risk. It's the same with other European jihadis - why is it better for them to endanger the Syrian people? Can you please answer that question, as you so far have not.

I believe that, as she is a British citizen rather than a Syrian one, she should be brought back to the UK to face trial and be given a long custodial sentence, during which she should have to participate in compulsory deradicalisation programmes.

And yes, I am British.

Also, I don't think you know what "whataboutery" means - it refers to raising a different and unrelated issue, whereas I was simply pointing out what the logical implications of your ideas are.
Last edited by LeapingLucy; 1 month ago
scorpion95
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No she shouldn't be allowed back and if she does make it back to the UK then she should be hung for treason. She should have her citizenship revoked so she has no way of getting back to the UK and looses all rights to be here
Occitanie
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by LeapingLucy)
She has to live somewhere. ISIS barely exists anymore, so she can't stay there.

You believe there is a risk that she will commit terrorist attacks - so why is it preferable for her do so against Syrians? ISIS killed far more Syrians than westerners, so if she is dangerous then they are just as much at risk. It's the same with other European jihadis - why is it better for them to endanger the Syrian people? Can you please answer that question, as you so far have not.

I believe that, as she is a British citizen rather than a Syrian one, she should be brought back to the UK to face trial and be given a long custodial sentence, during which she should have to participate in compulsory deradicalisation programmes.

And yes, I am British.

Also, I don't think you know what "whataboutery" means - it refers to raising a different and unrelated issue, whereas I was simply pointing out what the logical implications of your ideas are.
Because if she’s committing terrorist attacks in Syria, she isn’t going to commit them here, which preserves our safety and security - which is paramount.

Just like FoS, you’re making excuses for her, and frankly you’re far too focused on being a member of the Peace Police.
Telefonino
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Is there not an argument that this girl has been indoctrinated from an early age? Even the fact that she's comparing ISIS propaganda videos to her own life suggests that she's been surrounded by people telling her her life has been good, with that much propaganda maybe you wouldn't have a reason to regret what had happened?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Occitanie
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
As I already pointed out, her public statements may be motivated by fear (and from all that we know of IS, very likely are), so treating them like the words of a mature politician is a bit ridiculous. As for 'welcoming her back into society', in fact, that would be the approach most likely to produce positive long term results. The desire for revenge against people generally doesn't. Of course, as I've also said, if she's guilty of crimes, that's different - and apparently that is being investigated which is fine.

Incidentally, the former Met Police Commissioner said she should be treated as a victim and not as a criminal, unless there is evidence to the contrary. So I'm not exactly out of the mainstream here.
I neither have the time or energy to continue a discussion with an apologist.

Goodbye.
LeapingLucy
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Because if she’s committing terrorist attacks in Syria, she isn’t going to commit them here, which preserves our safety and security - which is paramount.

Just like FoS, you’re making excuses for her, and frankly you’re far too focused on being a member of the Peace Police.
Ok, you believe Syrian lives are worth less then. So we've cleared that up.
Occitanie
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Ok, you believe Syrian lives are worth less then. So we've cleared that up.
This has nothing to with who’s lives are worth more, this has everything to do with putting the safety and security of our citizens first.

You’re appealing to emotions now, and it’s getting pathetic.
LeapingLucy
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This has nothing to with who’s lives are worth more, this has everything to do with putting the safety and security of our citizens first.

You’re appealing to emotions now, and it’s getting pathetic.
How am I appealing to emotions and you're not? You're losing the argument and so you're resorting to name-calling - personally I find that pathetic.

Clearly, we just have very different views about Britain's international responsibilities. We're obviously never going to agree so I don't see any point pursuing this any further.
Blue_Cow
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by scorpion95)
No she shouldn't be allowed back and if she does make it back to the UK then she should be hung for treason. She should have her citizenship revoked so she has no way of getting back to the UK and looses all rights to be here
As much as I despise this woman and her despicable actions, I'm not sure we can actually do this...
Last edited by Blue_Cow; 1 month ago
XO For Life
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
"Doesn't regret joining IS"
"I don't regret coming here."

Then your ass can stay in Syria! I don't care if you are up the duff, that's your fault, you should keep your legs closed woman! (I'm not saying anything bad about pregnant women, I'm just on about her so don't hate me people)
Plantagenet Crown
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Assuming those words in the interview are actually her own, it's an astounding miscalculation on her part. You'd think someone desperate to return to the UK after running off to fight with ISIS would at least pretend to show remorse and regret for their actions. I'm stunned at how she thinks coming off as arrogant and unfazed by seeing severed heads is helping her case in any way, and not just confirming her radicalised, psychopathic mindset? It also makes me think that the only reason she wants to come back is because she knows ISIS is effectively over, not because she's actually appalled by the group she joined and/or what horrific acts she's possibly committed.

If she does somehow make it back to the UK then I would strongly suggest her child being taken off her and looked after by the state, at least until it's old enough where it can no longer be as easily radicalised. The last thing we need is a jihadi bride brainwashing her child in the UK to commit acts of terror when it grows up.
Last edited by Plantagenet Crown; 1 month ago
Sonja_f
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I must admit I'm not hot on the legality of this case, however considering she is a high security threat to the UK, shows no remorse and openly admits she wants to come back to have her baby because things didn't work out for IS and her in Suria, not because she realises that what she did was wrong surely we cant allow her back, I did read the UK would not help her return but if someone else paid for this then she would be questioned, potentially arrested and social services would be involved due to safeguarding of the baby but then it would become an even bigger story with human rights being breached and she would be free to do what she pleased No Thank you
NickAlex12
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It’s worth noting that the Paris attackers, Brussels bombers, the Manchester bomber, among others, all went to join Islamic terror groups in Syria or Libya. There is a big problem with ISIS supporters coming back to Europe and using the skills they learnt there to attack Europeans. Who knows she didn’t learn the same stuff? She was living amongst ISIS terrorists and still seems quite radicalised. It is better to assume the worst and keep the country safe rather than take a huge risk and let her come back. Even if she is monitored at every moment and isn’t able to make a bomb, who knows if she’s just going to pull out a knife and stab a bunch of people or run them over.
Blue_Cow
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Full disclosure: I don't know what powers the Secretary of State for the Home Department and Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs have when it comes to problematic so-called British citizens such as this lady.

If I had the power to I would certainly prevent this lady from returning to the UK by any means possible to ensure national security, of course.

-

As much as I despise this woman for betraying the people of this country in actively supporting a terrorist organisation, we can't execute her. It's not the right thing to do and probably won't be legal.

Chances are revoking her citizenship would be problematic too, and I'm not sure it'll achieve much either - she'll most likely find a way back into the country illegally some way or another...

If she does come back, the baby should be taken away from her. It's a radicalisation risk and ensuring the baby has a stable upbringing should be the priority. I'd imagine the Security Service will be keeping a very, very, very close eye on them both if they return. She will not lead a "normal" life, ever again.
Last edited by Blue_Cow; 1 month ago
Occitanie
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
How am I appealing to emotions and you're not? You're losing the argument and so you're resorting to name-calling - personally I find that pathetic.

Clearly, we just have very different views about Britain's international responsibilities. We're obviously never going to agree so I don't see any point pursuing this any further.
Yeah, good riddance.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (128)
17.9%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (73)
10.21%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (123)
17.2%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (103)
14.41%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (70)
9.79%
How can I be the best version of myself? (218)
30.49%

Watched Threads