Company Law - parent company liability for injury caused by subsidiary

Watch
miss.k
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
When is the parent company of a corporate group legally responsible for injury caused by a subsidiary company? Please use case law!
Dubailawyers1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thanks for your thought.
Can a parent company be held responsible for acts of its subsidiary!

The English High Court recently considered whether a parent company could be held liable for acts and omissions of one of its subsidiary companies.

The starting point was whether the court could impose a duty of care between the parent and the people of the Niger Delta area. Applying the three-fold test set out in Caparo v Dickman, this would depend on whether there was a proximate relationship between the two, whether the damage was foreseeable, and ultimately, whether it would be fair, just and reasonable in the circumstances to impose such a duty.

The court stated that there would be certain circumstances where it would be appropriate to hold a parent company liable for its subsidiary’s acts and omissions. These were where:-

the parent and subsidiary carry on the same business (in appropriate respects);
the parent, in comparison with the subsidiary, has superior knowledge or expertise;
the parent also has an in-depth knowledge of its subsidiary’s system of work; and/or
the parent knows (or ought to know) that the subsidiary is dependent upon it to ensure that such damage is avoided.
Although not exhaustive, it was noted that the presence of a higher number of these factors would make it more likely that a duty of care would be owed.
miss.k
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Dubailawyers1

Thank you for your reply! At what point exactly would you say the parent company would be held liable for the subsidiary though for any injury caused? Again, using case law

Thanks in advance!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (57)
17.27%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (93)
28.18%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (125)
37.88%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (44)
13.33%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.33%

Watched Threads