The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

St Aidan's Collegs (Durham) offer holders 2019

Hey guys! I haven't seen a specific thread for us future students staying at St Aidan's yet so I figured i'd get a chat going. Might as well get to know the people I may share the same building with for the next 3 years of my life.
So, to get the ball rolling, i'm studying English Literature, English Language and History and have an offer for law...
Why did you guys pick Durham, and are you looking forward to your stay at st Aiden's?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
Hi! I’m studying RS, History, Art and Chinese and I have an offer at St Aidan’s for Chinese studies 😃 I applied to Durham because I like the collegiate system, the course I’m applying to looks great and there are good opportunities for the year abroad (I also got rejected from Oxford lol). I applied to St Johns originally because it’s quite small and on the Bailey, but I got allocated the complete opposite 😂 I’m looking forward to it though, the college looks lovely and I’m still very grateful to have an offer. I think being out of my comfort zone will be good for me, plus the extra exercise walking up and down that hill every day!!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
I have been allocated st Aidan’s too. Never been to Durham before, going up soon to look around the city.
Reply 3
Original post by Crew2305
I have been allocated st Aidan’s too. Never been to Durham before, going up soon to look around the city.

Hope you like it! It's quite nice in Durham, but rather small - yet the scenery makes up for it, I think
Reply 4
Original post by Olive282
Hi! I’m studying RS, History, Art and Chinese and I have an offer at St Aidan’s for Chinese studies 😃 I applied to Durham because I like the collegiate system, the course I’m applying to looks great and there are good opportunities for the year abroad (I also got rejected from Oxford lol). I applied to St Johns originally because it’s quite small and on the Bailey, but I got allocated the complete opposite 😂 I’m looking forward to it though, the college looks lovely and I’m still very grateful to have an offer. I think being out of my comfort zone will be good for me, plus the extra exercise walking up and down that hill every day!!

Welcome to the Oxbridge reject club haha, but yeah I've heard great rhings about the year abroad - i'm contemplating it myself. I suppose that's part of what uni is about, getting out of your comfort zone! I think that's paet of what makes it so exciting, its almost like you can re-invent yourself
Reply 5
Original post by BlueWhale1
Welcome to the Oxbridge reject club haha, but yeah I've heard great rhings about the year abroad - i'm contemplating it myself. I suppose that's part of what uni is about, getting out of your comfort zone! I think that's paet of what makes it so exciting, its almost like you can re-invent yourself

Yes exactly!! I can’t wait to get to uni and try out all sorts of new things. I haven’t visited Durham yet but I’m looking forward to the offer holder day in March. Have you been to see Aidan’s?
Reply 6
Yes exactly!! I can’t wait to get to uni and try out all sorts of new things. I haven’t visited Durham yet but I’m looking forward to the offer holder day in March. Have you been to see Aidan’s?

I haven't got the chance to see St Aiden's yet too, i'll be checking it out on the post-offer open day too :tongue: Durham is a quite a scenic place though, just hoping St Aidan's is good on the visit haha
(edited 5 years ago)
Hey all! I have an offer for English Literature - really excited to start my course and meet you guys later this year! (FYI, kinda an Oxford Reject, but not in the traditional sense lmao!)

Since I'm an international student (from India), I can't really make a post-offer visit, so if you wouldn't mind - what's Aidan's like? Moreover, what's Durham like as a whole?
Reply 8
Original post by Marcowhacko
Hey all! I have an offer for English Literature - really excited to start my course and meet you guys later this year! (FYI, kinda an Oxford Reject, but not in the traditional sense lmao!)

Since I'm an international student (from India), I can't really make a post-offer visit, so if you wouldn't mind - what's Aidan's like? Moreover, what's Durham like as a whole?

Hi! I’m not sure about anyone else on this thread, but I haven’t been to Durham yet- everyone I know who’s been really likes it though. I’m going to an offer holder day at the end of March so I can let you know what I thought of it after then :smile: I’ve found that searching up videos on YouTube is quite helpful
Hey, I’m applying for geography for next year (altho might take a gap year and reapply for liberal arts…) originally applied for st. Mary’s but got reallocated to Aidans:smile: also part of the oxford reject club woo 😂
Anyone going to the 25/26 open day?
Reply 11
Did anyone here go to the open day/residential? 😊
Original post by _loz_
Did anyone here go to the open day/residential? 😊

Hi, I did 😊 I didn’t stay overnight but I visited during the day and the college looked really nice
Reply 13
Hi, I did 😊 I didn’t stay overnight but I visited during the day and the college looked really nice

I did the residential thing, it was great! The students were all really friendly too 😊 So what course did you apply for?
Original post by _loz_
I did the residential thing, it was great! The students were all really friendly too 😊 So what course did you apply for?

Ahh that’s great, I would have loved to have stayed over but the long travel up and down meant I couldn’t. The people I saw there were lovely though, definitely excited to go there now (plus the hill isn’t as bad as I expected 😂) I applied for Chinese studies, what about you?
Reply 15
Ahh that’s great, I would have loved to have stayed over but the long travel up and down meant I couldn’t. The people I saw there were lovely though, definitely excited to go there now (plus the hill isn’t as bad as I expected 😂) I applied for Chinese studies, what about you?

It may be up a hill, but the view is soooo worth it. I applied for Physics 😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending