The Student Room Group

Does electronics engineering have better career prospects than computer science?

I’m at Cambridge uni in my second year of computer science but I’m thinking of swapping it for EE. I’ve heard that prospects are better but I am really confused. Too many opinions swirling in my head I guess lol! I love computer science and get great grades (predicted 1st) but I also did well on EE so would you say switch is a good bet or what?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
What’s your problem?
Stop stalking me you weirdo.

Yuck
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
GO AWAY I AM REPORTING YOU.

if you can’t stay on topic then don’t post.
Reply 3
Original post by Emily234234
I’m at Cambridge uni in my second year of computer science but I’m thinking of swapping it for EE. I’ve heard that prospects are better but I am really confused. Too many opinions swirling in my head I guess lol! I love computer science and get great grades (predicted 1st) but I also did well on EE so would you say switch is a good bet or what?

Both are good degrees. If you want to become a software engineer, compsci is a better move. EE can be broader and much deeper with maths and physics. There is some overlapping, but keep in mind that there may no always be a big focus on compsci basics in EE. Programming was something we learnt for a couple of modules when I did EE. Main emphasis is on electronics, comms, higher voltage stuff.
no c.s is the way to go
Reply 5
Original post by Emily234234

Do not under any circumstance change to electronic engineering. The prospects are completely **** in the UK for most engineers, whereas for IT, if you go into development e.g. Java developer, or some version of C for mobile apps, you'll be able to get a job very quickly with a much better career path (as long as you are socially able, makes a huge difference in the interview process)

Source: I work in IT with friends in engineering. IT salaries are at least x2 that of engineering to begin with, and can easily quadruple or more if you end up contracting.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending