is 19 too old to get braces?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
My teeth are actually starting to hurt my lips because they stretch them out and its giving me loads of stress and distracting me from my work. I want to get braces but now I am 19, I heard that teeth take longer to get better when your an adult with braces. can anyone on here relate; I will have to get them or I will be in pain for a long time. Do they take longer to get better?
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Speak to your dentist. They are the expert on this.
You may have to pay though as you are over 18.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Emma:-))
Speak to your dentist. They are the expert on this.
You may have to pay though as you are over 18.
yes sadly I know that; its such a shame really because its just two teeth; my other teeth are fine. I guess it wont be so bad since im still technically in my teens
Emma:-)
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
yes sadly I know that; its such a shame really because its just two teeth; my other teeth are fine. I guess it wont be so bad since im still technically in my teens
It shouldnt be too bad.
It would be worse if you were in your 20's or 30's.
Check with your dentist for expert advice though.
学生の父
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ask your dentist to refer you privately to an orthodontist for a consultation. You should be seen quite quickly.

You seem to be describing buck teeth, or a similar overbite? That should cost £3-4,000 to correct, but you can spread the cost over the period of treatment.

19 is certainly not too old. People get orthodontic work done when they're a lot older than that, but as you say things can take longer.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by 学生の父)
Ask your dentist to refer you privately to an orthodontist for a consultation. You should be seen quite quickly.

You seem to be describing buck teeth, or a similar overbite? That should cost £3-4,000 to correct, but you can spread the cost over the period of treatment.

19 is certainly not too old. People get orthodontic work done when they're a lot older than that, but as you say things can take longer.
No I don't think its an overbite; I just have two extra teeth at the bottom which caused some to move to the top. you Cannot actually see them because they are under the top of the lips but they cause pain.
K.I.M
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
u might have to have them out to get rid of the pain
Anonymous #1
(Original post by KimNoel)
u might have to have them out to get rid of the pain
well that's stressful considering the are adult teeth but yeah I had a feeling I will likely have to get them taken out.
K.I.M
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
well that's stressful considering the are adult teeth but yeah I had a feeling I will likely have to get them taken out.
yeah but just remember when they are out y won't get any pain, but it will be good after trust me
username4477194
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Talk to your dentist about it and if they start to hurt even more it might be best to get braces or take them out
and you might have orthodontic and you might have to get treatment for it but your 19 and people under
18 get treatment for free so talk to your dentist he/she might help you
Last edited by username4477194; 1 year ago
学生の父
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No I don't think its an overbite; I just have two extra teeth at the bottom which caused some to move to the top. you Cannot actually see them because they are under the top of the lips but they cause pain.
Ok, well talk to your dentist about it. An extraction with some realignment work on the bottom arch could ameliorate that pain.

Extraction without subsequent orthodontic work might not give you the best result cosmetically, but it's something to think about.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (126)
28.38%
No - I have already returned home (58)
13.06%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (87)
19.59%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (41)
9.23%
No - I live at home during term anyway (132)
29.73%

Watched Threads