The Student Room Group
Canterbury Cathedral
Canterbury Christ Church University
Canterbury
Visit website

Is Canterbury Christ Church University a Christian university?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tootles
Misquoting people is not cool.

I did not intend to misquote people. I apologize if I seemed to have do so.
(edited 5 years ago)
Canterbury Cathedral
Canterbury Christ Church University
Canterbury
Visit website
In name yes, though religion in this nation is rightly diminishing, condemned to the dustbins of history, as we leave the la la land of religion behind in favour of reason.
Original post by Yeshua saves
I did not intend to misquote people. I apologize if I seemed to have do so.

It is just that it seems to me that some people use "being nice" as an excuse to tolerate sin.

You added to what Good bloke said. That's an intentional misquote.

Also we're called to accept correction as well as give it. You have not accepted any of the correction offered in this thread.
May I ask in what capacity do you work in?

Sure - I'm a Software Engineer.

Lies of the world such as that YHWH is not the true God, that Jesus is not the way, the denial of Jesus's resurrection, and all doctrines that go against the Bible.

Those are not lies. The Bible is.

As for stoning children for disobedience, I believe that we do not live under the Old Covenant, but under the New Covenant and are justified by the blood of the Lord Jesus Christ.

Where are the ten commandments? How do you decide which parts of the Old Testament to reject?

Also, I am an 18 year old female and wish to respect and submit to my elders.

You should really respect me then :frown:

My main purpose in going to university would not be in order to look for an argument.

Debate is a valuable way to test your knowledge and reassess what you believe. We should all do the later, on the basis of evidence that we haven't preciously considered.

Unfortunately I do not know the history of the Bible and the Bible well enough to defend my faith as well as I perhaps should.

I do not address the fact that parts of the Bible are supposedly "demonstrably false" because I think it may be a waste of time trying to debate Christianity with people who are resistant to hearing the truth.

You both assert that it is 'the truth' and don't know it well enough to defend it. Do you see the issue?

I believe the spiritual formation and education of children should not be neglected.

Given that you cannot prove it, how are you going to convince anyone? Personally, I class "spiritual formation" as indoctrination, because you cannot present any evidence that the 'spiritual' exists. There have been thousands of incompatible religions through history - on what evidential basis do you think that all the others were wrong?

I do not know much about Harry Potter, but I believe the author who wrote Harry Potter intended to write it as fiction.

How do you know that the Bible wasn't?

and no fulfilment of prophecies in real life in Harry Potter.

And no non-vague ones in the Bible. However, getting a guess right proves nothing. Someone does that with lottery numbers fairly often - does that make each of them a god?

I do not address the fact that parts of the Bible are supposedly "demonstrably false" because I think it may be a waste of time trying to debate Christianity with people who are resistant to hearing the truth.

I am not resistant to the truth - I follow the evidence, wherever it leads. I don't accept substantial claims without evidence.

You do not appear to care about a lack of evidence, at least in this one area, because you already 'know' the 'truth'. You are therefore unable to debate it - that is the evil of indoctrination.

However, I believe "contradictions" in the Bible can be dealt with and are thought to be "contradictions" due to not being taken in context and due to people's fallible interpretations.

How can you assert that it is true, when it is so unclear that you don't know how to interpret it? It's a little convenient to say that, when it's proved wrong, we just didn't interpret it correctly, as you know that it's true! Try that with your exam marking ..
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Tootles
Though pretty much everything else you've said is bang on, and much of it can be found summarized in Wheaton's Law.

As I am an atheist cultural Christian, though a pretty liberal one, that is what you might expect.
Original post by Tootles
You added to what Good bloke said. That's an intentional misquote.

Also we're called to accept correction as well as give it. You have not accepted any of the correction offered in this thread.

I sincerely apologize to "Good bloke". It was in fact an accidental misquote and I just realised that I added to his post (I fixed it now). It was in fact what what I wanted to say I would want people to do for me if they loved their neighbors as themselves and I meant to put it under "Good bloke"'s quote. I thought by misquoting you were referring to the part where I said abortion and such was wrong and implying “Good bloke” said something about those issues.

Thank you for reminding me to be humble and willing to be corrected.

As for the Bible being inerrant, I believe the Bible itself says all Scripture is inspired by God and that no Scripture is of any private interpretation (2 Timothy 3:16-17, 2 Peter 1:19-21). What are your thoughts about that?
(edited 10 months ago)
I would have a real problem with a Christian social worker encouraging an abortion in any way.

So you might fail to do your job properly, and in a compassionate way, if you become a social worker.
Original post by RogerOxon
That's a bit far, really. If it's not true then it's mythology, sure, but to say it's lies indicates malicious intent on the part of the writers. Since you can't prove that, you can't assert that it's lies.

How do you decide which parts of the Old Testament to reject?
Christians don't need (per se) what's written in the Old Testament. They are an historic record of the old contract between man and God, preserved for posterity and instruction.

Debate is a valuable way to test your knowledge and reassess what you believe. We should all do the later, on the basis of evidence that we haven't preciously considered.
Very true. Without debates, minds would stagnate.

You both assert that it is 'the truth' and don't know it well enough to defend it. Do you see the issue?
I tried to say this. We might as well talk to a post.

Fiction wasn't a thing at that time, in the sense that it is now. Nobody would dedicate valuable writing resources to writing stories that were only stories. If it was written down, it was either true (records, legal codes, &c) or it was mythology (which often has a foundation in truth).
Original post by Good bloke
So you might fail to do your job properly, and in a compassionate way, if you become a social worker.

Thank you for reminding me that I need to be compassionate, but I do not view encouraging an abortion as being compassionate to either the mother or the unborn baby.

Actually the way I found out about this issue is through a thread in christianforums.com. However, I think if the social work code (at least in the United States) allows you to limit clients' choices if it may cause harm (as I discovered through the thread) to others an abortion would cause harm to an unborn baby so why encourage that? I honestly do not see how encouraging a mother to kill their unborn baby is compassionate to either the mother or the baby. I guess one way of a potential social worker to get around this is to work in areas of social work where this issue would not come up.
(edited 4 years ago)
Sure - I'm a Software Engineer.

Where are the ten commandments? How do you decide which parts of the Old Testament to reject?

You should really respect me then :frown:

Given that you cannot prove it, how are you going to convince anyone? Personally, I class "spiritual formation" as indoctrination, because you cannot present any evidence that the 'spiritual' exists. There have been thousands of incompatible religions through history - on what evidential basis do you think that all the others were wrong?

And no non-vague ones in the Bible. However, getting a guess right proves nothing. Someone does that with lottery numbers fairly often - does that make each of them a god?

I am not resistant to the truth - I follow the evidence, wherever it leads. I don't accept substantial claims without evidence.

You do not appear to care about a lack of evidence, at least in this one area, because you already 'know' the 'truth'. You are therefore unable to debate it - that is the evil of indoctrination.

How can you assert that it is true, when it is so unclear that you don't know how to interpret it? It's a little convenient to say that, when it's proved wrong, we just didn't interpret it correctly, as you know that it's true! Try that with your exam marking ..

I do not know the history of the Bible well, but I believe there is what can be considered substantial evidence for Christianity to be true, not least the fulfillment of prophecy. The Bible is not the only historical document describing the Lord Jesus Christ.

I believe there is no lack of evidence, that the evidence for the existence of God is there for all to see, and that the evidence for Jesus would be found by all who seek Him (Matthew 7).

Unfortunately I may not be able to defend the Bible as well as I should at the moment (1 Peter 3:15), but thanks and praise be to God there are other Christians who may be better able to be present the evidence.
(edited 4 years ago)
I do not know the history of the Bible well, but I believe there is what can be considered substantial evidence for Christianity to be true, not least the fulfillment of prophecy. The Bible is not the only historical document describing the Lord Jesus Christ.

I believe there is no lack of evidence, that the evidence for the existence of God is there for all to see, and that the evidence for Jesus would be found by all who seek Him (Matthew 7).

Unfortunately I may not be able to defend the Bible as well as I should at the moment (1 Peter 3:15), but there are Christian pastors, Christian scholars, Christian scientists and other Christians who may be better able to be present the evidence.

Jesus did say not to throw pearls before swine. Another reason I am hesitant to say too much on this thread is because I believe women should not preach to men (at least in the local church setting), and because this forum is not a Christian forum.

It sounds like you need a sexist university too.
It sounds like you need a sexist university too.

No, I believe males and females are equal in God's eyes (Galatians 3:28), but I acknowledge I do not fully understand the Bible's position on male and female roles.
(edited 4 years ago)
No, I believe males and females are equal in God's eyes (Galatians 3:28), but I acknowledge I may not fully understand the Bible's position on Male and female roles.

Why should women not preach to men then?
No, I believe males and females are equal in God's eyes (Galatians 3:28), but I acknowledge I may not fully understand the Bible's position on Male and female roles.

The Bible reflects a desert society of two or three thousand years ago. They kept slaves, stoned adulterers, inflicted barbarous punishments for minor infractions, restricted the roles of women and, altogether, were not much like us. Do you really want to live in that society? That is what you appear to want. If you do then I would suggest Texas is nearer the mark than Canterbury, or anywhere in Europe. There, your superstitious folly will be appreciated by a visible minority. Here you more likely to find only ridicule and ostracism unless you happen upon a closed group of like-minded people,
Why should women not preach to men then?

I do not know the Bible that well and I do not want to potentially promote heresy, so I will not be making statements about the roles of women and men on this thread.
(edited 4 years ago)
I do not want to potentially promote heresy; so I will not be making statements about the roles of women and men on this thread.

You do not seem very comfortable in forming your own opinions and in thinking for yourself.
Original post by Good bloke
The Bible reflects a desert society of two or three thousand years ago. They kept slaves, stoned adulterers, inflicted barbarous punishments for minor infractions, restricted the roles of women and, altogether, were not much like us. Do you really want to live in that society? That is what you appear to want. If you do then I would suggest Texas is nearer the mark than Canterbury, or anywhere in Europe. There, your superstitious folly will be appreciated by a visible minority. Here you more likely to find only ridicule and ostracism unless you happen upon a closed group of like-minded people,

Thank you for sharing your perspective (though I believe Bible is God's word whether one acknowledges it or not).

As for possibly being ridiculed or ostracised due to my faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, I believe the Bible tells all Christians to be prepared for persecution for righteousness's sake (2 Timothy 3:12; Matthew 5:10).

I believe there are Christians born again by the Holy Spirit in many countries, possibly including in the Europe and the UK.

There are certainly professing Christians in Europe and the UK (also, I found Christian groups in UK universities and local churches near universities in the UK
http://www.aroundcanterbury.co.uk/gazetteer/groups-and-societies/religion/churches-in-canterbury/index.html, https://www.canterburybaptist.org/welcome/what-we-value, though I believe unfortunately not all local churches are biblical).

I believe if it can be reliably shown that the Bible is true and that the Lord Jesus Christ resurrected from the dead; then the Bible has to be true which means all other religions are a false way.

Evidence for the resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ:
https://biologos.org/blogs/guest/ser...-the-skeptics/
https://crossexamined.org/quick-case...-resurrection/
https://billygraham.org/decision-mag...ism-to-belief/
https://www.desiringgod.org/articles...-from-the-dead
https://ses.edu/minimal-facts-on-the...eptics-accept/
(edited 4 years ago)
As for possibly being ridiculed or ostracised due to my faith, I believe the Bible tells all Christians to be prepared for persecution

You won't be ridiculed for your faith. You'll be ridiculed for your extremism and your preaching.
You must realise that
A, your views, especially on abortion and transgender, etc. are very controversial even among Christians.
B, people are very unlikely to convert just because you believe and gave them some evidence, like how we have given you evidence that Christianity doesn't exist and you haven't converted because you think the evidence is stupid. People will also think that your evidence is stupid.
Basically you won't be able to convert anyone to your views, and are unlikely to find someone with the same views as you despite being in a Christian uni. People might get really upset or angry because of your views and therefore many will dislike you.

So for your sake and others as you will get nowhere and make people dislike you, keep your religion to yourself and go to a good university and join the Christian union and go to church etc. I don't think that the uni will share your views as it is very extreme
Original post by Feathertail
You must realise that
A, your views, especially on abortion and transgender, etc. are very controversial even among Christians.
B, people are very unlikely to convert just because you believe and gave them some evidence, like how we have given you evidence that Christianity doesn't exist and you haven't converted because you think the evidence is stupid. People will also think that your evidence is stupid.
Basically you won't be able to convert anyone to your views, and are unlikely to find someone with the same views as you despite being in a Christian uni. People might get really upset or angry because of your views and therefore many will dislike you.

So for your sake and others as you will get nowhere and make people dislike you, keep your religion to yourself and go to a good university and join the Christian union and go to church etc. I don't think that the uni will share your views as it is very extreme

Thank you for your points.

Many Christian universities regard the Bible as God's word and hold biblical views about things like marriage and are against abortion.

I admit that some of my interpretations of the Bible may be incorrect, but I strongly believe the Bible condemns premarital sex and implies that abortion is wrong.

As a Christian I am not ashamed of the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ and God's word and will share the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ with others if the Holy Spirit leads me to do so, though ultimately I believe only God can lead someone to believe in Him.

I know/have met at least several people who believe that the Lord Jesus Christ is the Way, the Truth and the Life (John 14:6).

As for potentially being disliked by people, I believe Christians should seek the praise of God more than the praise of men (John 12:47, Matthew 10:28), and fear God instead of men. Though I believe Christians should not seek the praise of men, and although I believe every human falls short of the glory of God, I believe Christians should try to be good witnesses of the Lord Jesus Christ to the world (Matthew 5:7).

I know very little about Canterbury Christ Church University, and do not know how biblical their views actually are and to what extent there is a faith aspect in the university.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending