Is Exeter University strict?

Watch
Saskiaab
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm currently doing an Access course. I've been given a conditional offer from Exeter University to study Law LLB, which was my first choice. I really want to go for it and make them my firm choice, but worried if I don't make the grades then I don't get in and also lose my offers from the other uni's I applied for (including 1 unconditional offer). Are Exeter likely to still consider you if you miss out slightly? Or are they quite strict on the requirements?
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Saskiaab)
I'm currently doing an Access course. I've been given a conditional offer from Exeter University to study Law LLB, which was my first choice. I really want to go for it and make them my firm choice, but worried if I don't make the grades then I don't get in and also lose my offers from the other uni's I applied for (including 1 unconditional offer). Are Exeter likely to still consider you if you miss out slightly? Or are they quite strict on the requirements?
What will your insurance be?
Saskiaab
Rep:
?
(Original post by ageshallnot)
What will your insurance be?
Insurance choice will probably be UWE Bristol
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
We don't really know because you're completing an Access course, and presumably have been given a very low offer already. They're kinda flexible with A-Levels, but that doesn't help you out.

Best bet is to get your head down and try to get the grades; no point worrying about it.
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Insurance choice will probably be UWE Bristol
What grades do you need for each of them? What do you think you will get? Would you be happy to go to UWE?
Saskiaab
Rep:
?
Exeter want 21M and 12D
UWE want 15M

There's obviously quite a difference between the two, which is why I'm a bit worried about taking the gamble
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Exeter want 21M and 12D
UWE want 15M

There's obviously quite a difference between the two, which is why I'm a bit worried about taking the gamble
But if you don't get into Exeter then you have your insurance to fall back on so what's the risk?
Last edited by ageshallnot; 2 years ago
Saskiaab
Rep:
?
(Original post by ageshallnot)
But if you don't get into Exeter then you have your insurance to fall back on so what's the risk?
It's not guaranteed I'll get a space, and accommodation is usually minimal by that point.
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It's not guaranteed I'll get a space, and accommodation is usually minimal by that point.
What do you mean by "not guaranteed to get a space"? Do you mean at UWE?
Elise1995
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Exeter want 21M and 12D
UWE want 15M

You think that's bad they want 45 distinctions from me for my course.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Are Exeter likely to still consider you if you miss out slightly? Or are they quite strict on the requirements?
They're often quite flexible for many courses, Law is one of their more notable ones so possibly less so than others.

If you put a university as your insurance and fail to meet the requirements of your firm, but meet the requirements of your insurance choice, they are required to take you. That's the point.

The accommodation issue can be a problem, however depending where it is it might be more or less problematic; many well established university cities have many private halls of residence in addition to the university owned ones, as well as a large private rental market for students.
Last edited by artful_lounger; 2 years ago
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You can manage 12 D or you'd struggle to get 40% on your essays at uni. It really isn't that difficult, though it might not seem like that at this point; have some confidence. As another poster mentioned, many of the middle-top unis require 45 D.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (37)
28.46%
No (93)
71.54%

Watched Threads