Badges: 14
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
[deleted]
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by s.m999; 4 weeks ago
s.m999
Please help me guys... I'm genuinely stressing and worried about getting a 3 in Italian.
Bananas20012
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Talk to your principal or something or just don’t go to the class if you’re feeling *rebellious* calm down it’s not a big deal. Also gcse languages are literally just about memorising as many words as possible
thestudent33
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by s.m999)
Please help me guys... I'm genuinely stressing and worried about getting a 3 in Italian.
I think you should, speak to your head of year. Ask your parents to speak to them as well. I'm sure you don't have to take it if you haven't been entered, but as it's a grammar school they'll probably try to pressure you into it. As I said before, I think a meeting with your head of year would be the best option.

Good luck!
thestudent33
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
s.m999 I forgot to add, don't call the exam board as they won't be able to help you. They'll simply tell you to speak to your exam officer/headteacher.
mjhmichael18
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
As you don’t want to carry on with Italian it doesn’t really matter if you pass it or fail it as it doesn’t matter if you fail 1 GCSE as most people do fail at least 1 it is hard to pass them all or get all 9s.
s.m999
(Original post by Bananas20012)
Talk to your principal or something or just don’t go to the class if you’re feeling *rebellious* calm down it’s not a big deal. Also gcse languages are literally just about memorising as many words as possible
Thanks for the suggestion- and trust me, everyone says that to me; and I know it's true. But the thing is, my brain just doesn't work like that- I can't memorise things like that. I can't just not attend the class though- that'd lead to more serious consequences that frankly i don't have time for right now.
LeapingLucy
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Well, you should probably rule out UCL since they require you to have a language GCSE pass if your school offered you the chance to study one.

Even if you did get in, you’d need to take a GCSE-level language course and pass in order to be able to graduate.
Last edited by LeapingLucy; 4 weeks ago
s.m999
(Original post by thestudent33)
I think you should, speak to your head of year. Ask your parents to speak to them as well. I'm sure you don't have to take it if you haven't been entered, but as it's a grammar school they'll probably try to pressure you into it. As I said before, I think a meeting with your head of year would be the best option.

Good luck!
(Original post by thestudent33)
s.m999 I forgot to add, don't call the exam board as they won't be able to help you. They'll simply tell you to speak to your exam officer/headteacher.

Hi- thanks for the tip. My parents emailed the head of year and said ultimately it's up to the head of faculty- who, obviously from this thread, said no. Can I not just tell the exam board (Edexcel) that my teachers aren't willing to cooperate and understand my issue? Could I not raise my issue etc? Thank you very much, I'm just so stressed right now!
s.m999
(Original post by LeapingLucy)
Well, you should probably rule out UCL since they require you to have a language GCSE pass if your school offered you the chance to study one.

Even if you did get in, you’d need to take a GCSE-level language course and pass in order to be able to graduate.
"UK students who do not have a GCSE grade C or equivalent in a foreign language (other than Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew or Latin) on admission to UCL will be required to acquire an equivalent level of language proficiency once they are enrolled with us."

So it is possible to get in without a foreign language- I'd just have to take a course if accepted.

Anyway, do you have any suggestions on how i can drop the language?

Thank you.
thestudent33
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi- thanks for the tip. My parents emailed the head of year and said ultimately it's up to the head of faculty- who, obviously from this thread, said no. Can I not just tell the exam board (Edexcel) that my teachers aren't willing to cooperate and understand my issue? Could I not raise my issue etc? Thank you very much, I'm just so stressed right now!
Wow, sounds like the school is really stubborn. You could try emailing the exam board but I don't think they'll really be able to do anything. Tbh the school should be much more considerate than that. Try the exam baord and see what they say.
学生の父
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
A couple of things. Firstly, your predicted grades look amazing, and I'm sure that if you get those results in June you'll have a good chance to get into a Russell Group LLB programme.

One thing that strikes me is that you're thinking about UCL as a potential uni choice. They do require a grade C (4) in a modern foreign language either at admission or through a Language Centre course whilst you're there. Wouldn't it be a good thing for you to really persevere between now and the last Italian exam on 3 June? You got a 4 in your mock, so there's no reason why you shouldn't get one for real.

Furthemore, if you do get a 3 in Italian, it wouldn't be the absolute end of the world. Your 8s and 9s across the board should be enough of a testament to your ability.

Now the drop deadline for the exam boards is in early March. Should you really, absolutely not want to take the exam, I can see no real benefit for the centre in entering you. Ask your parents/guardians to set up an appointment with the headteacher. If they want to keep you for Sixth Form, then they need to maintain your loyalty.
s.m999
(Original post by 学生の父)
A couple of things. Firstly, your predicted grades look amazing, and I'm sure that if you get those results in June you'll have a good chance to get into a Russell Group LLB programme.

One thing that strikes me is that you're thinking about UCL as a potential uni choice. They do require a grade C (4) in a modern foreign language either at admission or through a Language Centre course whilst you're there. Wouldn't it be a good thing for you to really persevere between now and the last Italian exam on 3 June? You got a 4 in your mock, so there's no reason why you shouldn't get one for real.

Furthemore, if you do get a 3 in Italian, it wouldn't be the absolute end of the world. Your 8s and 9s across the board should be enough of a testament to your ability.

Now the drop deadline for the exam boards is in early March. Should you really, absolutely not want to take the exam, I can see no real benefit for the centre in entering you. Ask your parents/guardians to set up an appointment with the headteacher. If they want to keep you for Sixth Form, then they need to maintain your loyalty.
Firstly- thank you very much! I hope I get these grades in June!

I get what you are saying- a 4 does benefit UCL. However, do you not think it'll be better for me to not take any language right now to prevent them from even seeing a 4 on my results sheet and just taking a course then when I have the time, perseverance etc, at UCL?

Hopefully. But you see private school kids all the time getting 8's and 9's across the board being rejected from Durham and LSE etc. In the eyes of these top 5 universities why should i get in with a grade 3? Fair enough I guess.

Yeah, I'll see if I can take this further. As thestudent33 suggested earlier I will email Edexcel, and although they 99% can't do anything, it's worth a shot!

Thank you very, very much for the help.
s.m999
bumppp... please help me guys
Hollybm
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hey. I’m currently in Year 11, and sitting my exams in a few months. I applied to drop GCSE Italian in which I got a grade 4 in (I passed by about 6 marks) and the school is not letting me drop it. Here’s what I’m (hopefully) going to get:

English Language: 8/9
English Literature: 8/9
Mathematics: 5
Combined/ Trilogy Science: 8-8/9-9
History: 8/9
Business: 8/9
Sociology: 8/9
Religious Studies: 8/9
Italian: 3/4

Here’s the problem. I’m going to fail Italian. I know I am. Or, if I am extremely lucky, I’m going to get a 4.

I’m doing 4 A- Levels:
i) English Literature.
ii) Politics.
iii) Ancient History.
iv) History.

Let’s say, theoretically, I get at AS, 3A’s and a B and my predictions are A*A*A*A.

Will 7/8 A*’s at GCSE and those predictions be good enough for these 5 universities (for LLB Law- for which these universities are *extremely* competitive. (7/ 9 applicants per place).

Cambridge.
LSE.
UCL.
Durham.
Bristol.

I had hopes of achieving all 8’s/9’s bar Maths, but now I am at risk of getting a grade 3 in Italian. Please help me, i’m stressing so much. I’ll only have 9 GCSE’s- and a fail in a language.

Please don’t take the mickey also and say ‘oh, another oxbridge thread etc’- i’m genuinely worried- I may actually fail a GCSE when these universities are dominated by people from top private schools who got 11/12A*’s.

(i go to a grammar school by the way).

I’m willing to do whatever it takes to drop the subject at not risk getting a grade 2/3. I haven’t physically signed anything or made an obligation to sit the exam- can I take this further? My teacher has said no, but can I not call the exam board and ask them to not enter me for this exam etc.

Thank you so much. I’m very sorry for the long- winded message.

Xx
UCL like a modern language - ask them....
If you apply to drop it say you want to use your tine to get maths up to a 7/8 rather than just for dropping Italian.
Some school have no supervision for you if you are not in the class so you could offer to sit quietly in the Italian class doing maths?
Last edited by Hollybm; 4 weeks ago
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
"UK students who do not have a GCSE grade C or equivalent in a foreign language (other than Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew or Latin) on admission to UCL will be required to acquire an equivalent level of language proficiency once they are enrolled with us."

So it is possible to get in without a foreign language- I'd just have to take a course if accepted.

Anyway, do you have any suggestions on how i can drop the language?

Thank you.
Your parents can request your removal from GCSE Italian - you can't be entered for the exam without your parents permission. You need to act fast as entries are due in.
Last edited by Muttley79; 4 weeks ago
Hollybm
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Muttley79)
You parents can request your removal from GCSE Italian - you can't be entered for the exam without your parents permission. You need to act fast as entries are due in.
Even if entered now you can withdraw and school can get a refund. Look up entry and withdrawal dates on the exam board website
markova21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Stop attending your Italian lessons and simply don't turn up to the exam. There's not a lot anyone can do if you categorically refuse to do it. My son couldn't be bothered going in to school on the very last day for his very last GCSE exam; his second GCSE Geography paper. He just said he doesn't care, as long as he did OK with everything else. The school secretary phoned me that morning asking where he was as the exam was about to start and he was still missing. I told her he was still in bed and he had absolutely no intention of turning up for the final exam and there was no way in hell I could have persuaded him otherwise. She said OK, it's his choice. Which of course, it was. As it's yours. No-one is going to hold a gun to your head and force you to attend the Italian lessons then later the exam. Simply skip that lesson each time you have it. Eventually you will be so far behind everyone else that you won't be of a high enough standard to take the exam anyway.
s.m999
(Original post by Hollybm)
UCL like a modern language - ask them....
If you apply to drop it say you want to use your tine to get maths up to a 7/8 rather than just for dropping Italian.
Some school have no supervision for you if you are not in the class so you could offer to sit quietly in the Italian class doing maths?
Hello. This is exactly what I've said. My parents have emailed and said getting a 3 in Italian is going to cause all my grades to suffer. The school aren't sympathising at all- they said they'd rather i get a 3 that not take it, which is very informal and rude for them to say, quite honestly!
s.m999
(Original post by Muttley79)
You parents can request your removal from GCSE Italian - you can't be entered for the exam without your parents permission. You need to act fast as entries are due in.
Hello. My parents have already emailed and requested I be not entered. The school have said no- even with my dad emailing etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (33)
13.87%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (21)
8.82%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (50)
21.01%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (34)
14.29%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (29)
12.18%
How can I be the best version of myself? (71)
29.83%

Watched Threads