The Student Room Group

Hardest A Levels

I’m interest to know which A levels people considered to be the hardest to pass. I find it hard to believe that subjects like media are equivalent to Chemistry. I study History, Lit and English Language and I definitely think language is so much easier than history. Does anyone have opinions about how hard it is to pass history? I really worry that it’s a hard one to do well in.
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

In my opinion maths was the hardest
languages could be quite hard
Further maths. If by hardest you mean the most demanding in terms of time
Original post by anonONE1
I’m interest to know which A levels people considered to be the hardest to pass. I find it hard to believe that subjects like media are equivalent to Chemistry. I study History, Lit and English Language and I definitely think language is so much easier than history.

For me biology was hardest. I understood it but there was so much content it was difficult to revise for. Also the way the exams were marked were really tough.
German & further maths both because of content level and need for accuracy
Further Maths
Reply 7
It's all dependent, isn't it, on what you're good at? I'd personally consider Physics or Chemistry to be the hardest 'A' levels based on people I know who do them and the work I've seen them do - I did well in both at GCSE but wasn't interested in pursuing science. But someone who loves Science may well find English harder if they're not that way inclined, lol.
Out of my own subjects, Spanish is probably the hardest. Overall, Chem and Physics, Maths and Further Maths, and History on the humanities side because it's so content heavy.
Physics oml
I’m interest to know which A levels people considered to be the hardest to pass. I find it hard to believe that subjects like media are equivalent to Chemistry. I study History, Lit and English Language and I definitely think language is so much easier than history. Does anyone have opinions about how hard it is to pass history? I really worry that it’s a hard one to do well in.

I'm struggling with history too! What exam board are you doing? I'm doing edexcel and the Russia, GDR and Warfare modules :s-smilie:
Original post by Studyfinn
I'm struggling with history too! What exam board are you doing? I'm doing edexcel and the Russia, GDR and Warfare modules :s-smilie:

I’m doing Churchill 1920-1945 then Britain 1945-1992, American Rev and Civil Rights 1865-1992 😬 it’s so hard! About 10 times more content than Literature. Oh and my coursework is on Thatcher
(edited 5 years ago)
physics
Philosophy is by far the hardest I do, and I think has been officially recognised as one of the hardest A-Levels. Others that crop up frequently are Spanish/French, Further Maths, Chemistry and Music.
I’m doing Churchill 1920-1945 then Britain 1945-1992, American Rev and Civil Rights 1865-1992 😬 it’s so hard! About 10 times more content than Literature. Oh and my coursework is on Thatcher

Do you happen to know the structures for the source questions? We haven't been given them and I'm dying without them :frown:. My coursework was on the french revolution, pretty sure I got a D.
history is so hard, so much content to learn ahhh
Reply 15
Economics A-Level: Knowing the key concepts/theories isn't enough. You need real-life application for some question and some of the micro/macro and synoptic questions on the Edexcel spec are really nasty. :redface:
I take Physics, Maths, Further Maths and Biology.
Physics, with no doubt.
A-level French nearly killed me off

(still worth it though).
Original post by Studyfinn
Do you happen to know the structures for the source questions? We haven't been given them and I'm dying without them :frown:. My coursework was on the french revolution, pretty sure I got a D.

For the source questions I usually do: p1: intro p2: source A p3: source B p4: source C p5: source D and p6: conclusion within the paragraph I talk about the source itself, provenance and include own knowledge. We used to be taught to group sources, so talk about more than one source within one paragraph and compare it, but we don’t have to do this anymore so I keep it really simple and dedicate one paragraph to one source and kind of link them together in the conclusion
I would say Modern Foreign Languages.

First issue is that all the natives are taking all the A*s and As. Second issue, you can't just cram it. You need to actually be good at it, it's a skill that you just do or don't have by the time the exam comes round.

Quick Reply