The Student Room Group

Second chance?

I was emailed by a universities admissions team being informed that I have been rejected for degree due to my qualifications (or lack of) But... They asked me to submit another degree choice for a second chance. Is this normal??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lellloy
I was emailed by a universities admissions team being informed that I have been rejected for degree due to my qualifications (or lack of) But... They asked me to submit another degree choice for a second chance. Is this normal??

It's not unheard of where you meet the entry requirements of a similar but different course.
Original post by lellloy

They usually offer you another course rather than ask you to pick one.
Are you going to submit another choice?
Reply 4
Original post by ageshallnot
They usually offer you another course rather than ask you to pick one.

I was simply told to look through the degree finder and submit an alternative by the 21st of Feb. Do you know whether it would be simply stating the UCAS code and degree name or would I do a mini personal statement with it?
Reply 5
Original post by harrysbar
It's not unheard of where you meet the entry requirements of a similar but different course.

I was simply told to look through the degree finder and submit an alternative by the 21st of Feb. Do you know whether it would be simply stating the UCAS code and degree name or would I do a mini personal statement with it?
Reply 6
Are you going to submit another choice?

Yeah I am. It's quite a different path from my original choice so I'm quite anxious about it
Original post by lellloy
Yeah I am. It's quite a different path from my original choice so I'm quite anxious about it

Do you want to discuss it on this forum to get advice or do you prefer not to?
Original post by lellloy

That's quite curious. Which uni?

Sorry,no idea about your question.
Reply 9
That's quite curious. Which uni?

Sorry,no idea about your question.

Edinburgh University so I'm quite anxious because it is my first choice.

Honoured to be given a second chance though
Original post by lellloy

That is unusual to do it that way! Top Uni though :smile:
Original post by lellloy

Even stranger. From your posts I imagined it was a lowly university desperate for students.

What's most important, the subject or the institution?
Reply 12
That is unusual to do it that way! Top Uni though :smile:

yeah, I thought it was quite unusual but I'm pretty happy about it. I originally applied for psychology but did not meet the full requirements so whatever alternative I choose will be a different path which is kinda scary. still unsure how to go about it though since it is a different degree. I am thinking law and social anthropology, but do you think I would need to include a personal statement or just a justification for my choice or simply the course and code?
Reply 13
Even stranger. From your posts I imagined it was a lowly university desperate for students.

It is not neccessarily the subject or the institution in my case. I am a college student, I left school early and been studying social sciences for many years and now applying with a HNC so my interests are pretty widespread. I've always had intersts in psychology, but been doubting it the last few months so I feel like this might be a calling if you get what i mean?

of course im anxious about making drastic move and regretting it.
Original post by lellloy
yeah, I thought it was quite unusual but I'm pretty happy about it. I originally applied for psychology but did not meet the full requirements so whatever alternative I choose will be a different path which is kinda scary. still unsure how to go about it though since it is a different degree. I am thinking law and social anthropology, but do you think I would need to include a personal statement or just a justification for my choice or simply the course and code?

So is it more important to you to go to Edinburgh than study the subject that appeals to you the most?

If they haven't asked you to submit a new personal statement, I guess they don't want one. But law is very competitive so I don't know...maybe send them an email checking that you meet their requirements for that course (even if you can see you do, they might offer some insight as to whether you are likely to get accepted). Anthrapology would be less competitive, but you have to be sure it genuinely interests you
Reply 15
So is it more important to you to go to Edinburgh than study the subject that appeals to you the most?

If they haven't asked you to submit a new personal statement, I guess they don't want one. But law is very competitive so I don't know...maybe send them an email checking that you meet their requirements for that course (even if you can see you do, they might offer some insight as to whether you are likely to get accepted). Anthrapology would be less competitive, but you have to be sure it genuinely interests you

not necessarily, as I said above my interests are pretty widespread as I've been studying social sciences for the past 4 years (which encompass social anthropology and parts of law) and my other uni applications have subjects such as sociology and social policy within them. since I applied for my NC course when I was 16 it was originally psychology I wanted a career in, but the more complex and in-depth I delved into the subject my interests were led astray from psychology
Reply 16

I will shoot them an email though, just don't wanna mess this up. I have a HNC qualification (HND this year) so that will get me into most courses within the social science and humanities that doesn't demand a maths or English higher or nat 5 qualification
Original post by lellloy
I will shoot them an email though, just don't wanna mess this up. I have a HNC qualification (HND this year) so that will get me into most courses within the social science and humanities that doesn't demand a maths or English higher or nat 5 qualification

Which year would you start in at Edinburgh?

Durham was the main culprit for this in the last few years. Filling up anthropology and classics courses with history rejects.
Reply 19
Which year would you start in at Edinburgh?

first-year entry! I know it's pretty silly to be entering into the first year while I have the qualification for access to year 2 or 3 at other universities but I want to be as sure as I can be when I graduate as well as the modules offered are far beyond what I have done at college so I feel like I might be a lost puppy if i enter into year 2 or 3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending