Nuffield Research Placements 2019 Watch

Labrador99
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi everyone

This is a thread for anyone who is applying for a Nuffield Research Placement in summer 2019!

I completed my placement in 2016, so am more than happy to answer any questions about placements or the application process

To kick things off, it would be nice for everyone to introduce themselves- maybe start with:

Region:
Area of Interest: (i.e. Which area of STEM you want a placement in)
Current Studies:
Application Status: Not yet submitted/ Submitted/ Successful/ Unsuccessful

If anyone has just found this thread and wants to know more about Nuffield Placements, they are basically 4-6 week long placements where you complete your own STEM research project within a university, company or organisation. You need to be in English/Welsh Year 12, Scottish S5 or Northern Irish Year 13 to be able to apply. The deadline for applying is dependant on the region you live in, and some are fast approaching!

There's loads more information for anyone who needs it here: http://www.nuffieldfoundation.org/nu...rch-placements
Becky_x56
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I’m going to be applying for the Nuffield program for the summer this year.
Anyone else applying ??
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
petrolemotion
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi, I'm applying!

(edit)
Region: East Anglia
Area of Interest: Mathematics or Statistics and Data Science
Current Studies: A-Level Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry
Application status: Submitted
Last edited by petrolemotion; 4 weeks ago
Becky_x56
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by petrolemotion)
Hi, I'm applying!
What subject area are you applying for ?
petrolemotion
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Becky_x56)
What subject area are you applying for ?
Mathematics and stats/data science
Becky_x56
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Mathematics and stats/data science
Good luck, I’m applying for physics.
petrolemotion
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Good luck, I’m applying for physics.
Nice, good luck to you too
Labrador99
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
I’m going to be applying for the Nuffield program for the summer this year.
Anyone else applying ??
Hi, I'm applying!
:wavey:

I've merged your thread into the main one for this year Happy to help and answer any questions you might have

(Original post by Labrador99)
Hi everyone

This is a thread for anyone who is applying for a Nuffield Research Placement in summer 2019!

I completed my placement in 2016, so am more than happy to answer any questions about placements or the application process

To kick things off, it would be nice for everyone to introduce themselves- maybe start with:

Region:
Current Studies:

If anyone has just found this thread and wants to know more about Nuffield Placements, they are basically 4-6 week long placements where you complete your own STEM research project within a university, company or organisation. You need to be in English/Welsh Year 12, Scottish S5 or Northern Irish Year 13 to be able to apply. The deadline for applying is dependant on the region you live in, and some are fast approaching!

There's loads more information for anyone who needs it here: http://www.nuffieldfoundation.org/nu...rch-placements
Becky_x56
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Quick question, on the application form online you have to request a reference from a teacher once my teacher has done this am I able to see what he has said or not ?
Labrador99
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Quick question, on the application form online you have to request a reference from a teacher once my teacher has done this am I able to see what he has said or not ?
Good question! I can't remember for absolute certain, and know some thing might have change since I applied 3 years ago, but I think I could. You can also ask your teacher if they can email/show you it
Becky_x56
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Labrador99)
Good question! I can't remember for absolute certain, and know some thing might have change since I applied 3 years ago, but I think I could. You can also ask your teacher if they can email/show you it
Okay thanks, hopefully I can but if not I’ll just ask.
SmartMemoryGirl!
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
i have applied as well. I am applied to quite a few different things (geo, enviromental, maths and physics) I study Maths , Physics and Geo.
I haven't sumbitted yet. A Levels have been drowning me lately. XD . Good luck everyone.
Labrador99
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
(Original post by SmartMemoryGirl!)
i have applied as well. I am applied to quite a few different things (geo, enviromental, maths and physics) I study Maths , Physics and Geo.
I haven't sumbitted yet. A Levels have been drowning me lately. XD . Good luck everyone.
Good luck with your application! Let us know how it goes
Becky_x56
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by SmartMemoryGirl!)
Good luck, I haven’t applied yet either Iv just finished writing my personal statement, hopefully I would have applied by the end of this week.
I study physics chemistry and philosophy and ethics.
katmyster
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hey im applying, basically finished my application now, i w am hoping to do something bio relate (biomed ideally) im southampton area and have a friend doing their phd at soton Uni and alo a nutrition lecturer who said she would host me for my placement so i ahve put that in the space where it says organisations that can host for a placement. One question i have is: do you rememebr getting paid, i know you can claim for you travel expenses back but there is also another section which allows you to get a bursary for £100 a week? how often are these given out? - thankyou in advcance!!! also when do you find out if you have a placement , the deadline for my area is the 21st March so after then roughly do you know when you find out by??? Original post by Labrador99)Hi everyone

Region:
Current Studies:

Hey im applying, basically finished my application now, i w am hoping to do something bio relate (biomed ideally) im southampton area and have a friend doing their phd at soton Uni and alo a nutrition lecturer who said she would host me for my placement so i ahve put that in the space where it says organisations that can host for a placement. One question i have is: do you rememebr getting paid, i know you can claim for you travel expenses back but there is also another section which allows you to get a bursary for £100 a week? how often are these given out? - thankyou in advcance!!! also when do you find out if you have a placement , the deadline for my area is the 21st March so after then roughly do you know when you find out by???
Becky_x56
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by katmyster)
Hey im applying, basically finished my application now, i w am hoping to do something bio relate (biomed ideally) im southampton area and have a friend doing their phd at soton Uni and alo a nutrition lecturer who said she would host me for my placement so i ahve put that in the space where it says organisations that can host for a placement. One question i have is: do you rememebr getting paid, i know you can claim for you travel expenses back but there is also another section which allows you to get a bursary for £100 a week? how often are these given out? - thankyou in advcance!!! also when do you find out if you have a placement , the deadline for my area is the 21st March so after then roughly do you know when you find out by??? Original post by Labrador99)Hi everyone

Region:
Current Studies:

Hey im applying, basically finished my application now, i w am hoping to do something bio relate (biomed ideally) im southampton area and have a friend doing their phd at soton Uni and alo a nutrition lecturer who said she would host me for my placement so i ahve put that in the space where it says organisations that can host for a placement. One question i have is: do you rememebr getting paid, i know you can claim for you travel expenses back but there is also another section which allows you to get a bursary for £100 a week? how often are these given out? - thankyou in advcance!!! also when do you find out if you have a placement , the deadline for my area is the 21st March so after then roughly do you know when you find out by???
Hi sorry I can’t answer your question but can I ask you a question, have you submitted your application for the program if so on your teacher reference when they upload it were you able to read it or not?
Thanks
katmyster
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
No you can’t read it
Becky_x56
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by katmyster)
No you can’t read it
Okay thanks, what does it say once they have done it ? Does the cross change to a tick ?
petrolemotion
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Okay thanks, what does it say once they have done it ? Does the cross change to a tick ?
Yeah it does, and the bits where you put in your teacher's name/email grey out so you can't change it.
Becky_x56
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yeah it does, and the bits where you put in your teacher's name/email grey out so you can't change it.
Okay thanks, Iv put his email in and everything I’m just waiting for him to do my reference now, I was kinda hoping it would show me what he wrote but I’ll just ask him when I’m back at school.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (34)
14.11%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (21)
8.71%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (50)
20.75%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (34)
14.11%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (30)
12.45%
How can I be the best version of myself? (72)
29.88%

Watched Threads