The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Labrador99
You don't really need to do preparation for the placement itself, but I do agree with you that sometimes the allocation of placements is not enough in advance, as applicants will have to organise other parts of their lives etc..

In the email (if they accept me) will it say where I’m doing it and all the information about it ?
Original post by Becky_x56
In the email (if they accept me) will it say where I’m doing it and all the information about it ?

Sometimes, applicants get told that they will be getting a placement, and then get the details of it slightly later...Other times people find out all in one go.
Prior to my first day, I had a summary/brief of what I was going to do, so I had some idea...I was also able to go and meet my placement supervisor a few weeks before the placement. I know that this is not always possible though, and that it might vary by region/project provider whether this happens.
Sometimes, applicants get told that they will be getting a placement, and then get the details of it slightly later...Other times people find out all in one go.
Prior to my first day, I had a summary/brief of what I was going to do, so I had some idea...I was also able to go and meet my placement supervisor a few weeks before the placement. I know that this is not always possible though, and that it might vary by region/project provider whether this happens.

Thank you for all your help.
Hi everyone! 2018 Nuffield Research Placement (Maths) Alumna here!

I completed my 4-week placement at a university doing research in population modelling using matrices.

I originally applied to do a Maths placement and as I attend an English independent school, I had to source my own placement, so I’m happy to offer any advice to successful applicants for sourcing your own placements, as well as any general questions about the scheme along with @Labrador99 (who was super helpful to me this time last year!)
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Pastelx
Hi everyone! 2018 Nuffield Research Placement (Maths) Alumnae here!

I completed my 4-week placement at a university doing research in population modelling using matrices.

I originally applied to do a Maths placement and as I attend an English independent school, I had to source my own placement, so I’m happy to offer any advice to successful applicants for sourcing your own placements, as well as any general questions about the scheme along with @Labrador99 (who was super helpful to me this time last year!)

Really good of you to offer to help answer any questions! :smile: And aw, thank you :colondollar:
Original post by Pastelx
Hi everyone! 2018 Nuffield Research Placement (Maths) Alumna here!

Really good of you to offer to help answer any questions! :smile: And aw, thank you :colondollar:

aw so awesome! :hi:
We have a cute lil Nuffield Placement Alumni team :ahee:
@Marcus_ [s]biggrin[/s] come join ! :yay:
I’m here! 🥳

Hi! I did the Nuffield Summer Placement in 2018 for Just under 5 weeks on engineering. It was at City University in London on research towards modelling the heart using data from an external source. The best thing about this research was how flexible everyone was about coming in (since PhD students just come in whenever it was great!). The journey grew as I learnt how to use MATLAB and discovered new things as I started plotting and manipulating the data.

Happy to help!
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
aw so awesome! :hi:
We have a cute lil Nuffield Placement Alumni team :ahee:
@Marcus_ [s]biggrin[/s] come join ! :yay:
What were the dates of everyone’s placement?
Original post by Marcus_:D
I’m here! 🥳

Hi! I did the Nuffield Summer Placement in 2018 for Just under 5 weeks on engineering. It was at City University in London on research towards modelling the heart using data from an external source. The best thing about this research was how flexible everyone was about coming in (since PhD students just come in whenever it was great!). The journey grew as I learnt how to use MATLAB and discovered new things as I started plotting and manipulating the data.

Happy to help!

Wow that sounds great! My local university is Southampton so do you think it will be there (since I applied for biomed as I’m keen to get some lab experience)?
Original post by katmyster
Wow that sounds great! My local university is Southampton so do you think it will be there (since I applied for biomed as I’m keen to get some lab experience)?

Hey! You can always give it a go - maybe email the biomed department?
Best of luck! :smile:
Hi I know this is an old thread! I was wondering how it worked in terms if them offering a placement to you, I got in contact with a lecturer from Southampton university who is happy to host me and I have written there details on the application but that is for nutrition and I am more keen to do something related to biomed/cancer did you get a few different placement projects presented to you when you applied or was it just one placement - take it or leave it? Thank you
Original post by katmyster
Hi I know this is an old thread! I was wondering how it worked in terms if them offering a placement to you, I got in contact with a lecturer from Southampton university who is happy to host me and I have written there details on the application but that is for nutrition and I am more keen to do something related to biomed/cancer did you get a few different placement projects presented to you when you applied or was it just one placement - take it or leave it? Thank you

kinda/not really
There are a variety they have and they usually give you the one they think is best suited to you
I know you may not want to go into this area, but it's all excellent experience so please don't feel disheartened!
E.g my placement was very engineering/physics based but I really wanted to do chemistry/physics so whilst the placement subject wasn't my favourite thing, the research, the experiments and learning skills such as reading research papers, referencing properly and drawing up schematics was some really useful transferable skills I learned.
Still use them today :yy:
I'm applying for maths or computer science. Does anyone have any tips on what to include in the personal statement?
Original post by niclawrence01
I'm applying for maths or computer science. Does anyone have any tips on what to include in the personal statement?

Hi! I did a Maths placement for my Nuffield project last year!

If you have done any UKMT challenge stuff, it might be good to express what you’ve enjoyed about those. Also what you’ve enjoyed in your Maths/CS A Level courses and what attracts you to these subject areas in general.

I also wrote a bit about the extracurriculars and supercurriculars I took part in (e.g. Maths tutoring, House Prefect) and how those have helped me develop skills which might be useful in a working environment.

Lastly, I wrote about how I felt a Nuffield Placement might benefit me in the future, whether that’s for help deciding on what to study at uni, for extra experience of the real research going on today or something else entirely!

Hope this helps!
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Pastelx
Hi! I did a Maths placement for my Nuffield project!

If you have done any UKMT challenge stuff, it might be good to express what you’ve enjoyed about those. Also what you’ve enjoyed in your Maths/CS A Level courses and what attracts you to these subject areas in general.

I also wrote a bit about the extracurriculars and supercurriculars I took part in (e.g. Maths tutoring, House Prefect) and how those have helped me develop skills which might be useful in a working environment.

Lastly, I wrote about how I felt a Nuffield Placement might benefit me in the future, whether that’s for help deciding on what to study at uni, for extra experience of the real research going on today or something else entirely!

Hope this helps!

Thanks so much this is really useful!
Iv applied for the Nuffield placement in the south west for this summer to do a placement in physics.
Has anyone heard back from them to see if they’ve got a place yet ?
How long does it take them to tell you if you’ve been accepted?
Hello,

I have been accepted to do a Nuffield research placement over the summer, and I am just wondering what universities think of this?
I am hoping to studying medicine one day, and I am applying this September.

Many thanks.
Quite a few of the deadlines have now passed, but there's still a chance to apply for anyone in the regions still accepting applications! :h:
Original post by Delilah23
Iv applied for the Nuffield placement in the south west for this summer to do a placement in physics.
Has anyone heard back from them to see if they’ve got a place yet ?
How long does it take them to tell you if you’ve been accepted?

:wavey:

Have just moved your thread into the main one for this year :smile:

It can usually take quite a while to hear back, often starting in May and with some people being as the end of June...Different regions do it differently and there's no real rule as to when you'll know.

We've got quite a few people who have done placements in this thread, and we're all happy to answer any questions you have. Good luck though! :smile:
Original post by Shannon.Leanne
Hello,

I have been accepted to do a Nuffield research placement over the summer, and I am just wondering what universities think of this?
I am hoping to studying medicine one day, and I am applying this September.

Many thanks.

:wavey:

I've just moved this into the main thread for Nuffield placements this year for you :smile:

It is definitely something that is a good thing to have done and that not many others will have done too. It's definitely not a guarantee, but I know some people who have went to interviews and that was practically all the interviewer talked about with them! I'm not totally clued up on the medicine requirements (though have a good idea of vet med) but it won't be seen as anything other than positive providing it doesn't stop you from meeting any requirements they have.

Latest

Trending

Trending