My top 25 universities for international and domestic students. Watch

Bothurin
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Average of international and domestic reputation.
1. Cambridge
2. Oxford
3. Imperial
4. UCL
5. LSE
6. Bristol
7. Warwick
8. Manchester
9. Durham
10. St. Andrews
11. Edinburgh
12. Leeds
13. Birmingham
14. Southampton
15. KCL
16. Glasgow
17. Sheffield
18. Nottingham
19. York
20. Bath
21. Exeter
22. Lancaster
23. QMUL
24. Newcastle
25. Cardiff
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
How have you measured “reputation”?
Bothurin
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
How have you measured “reputation”?
By taking the average of the average domestic (The Complete University guide and The Guardian) and International ranking (QS and THE).
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Bothurin)
By taking the average of the average domestic (The Complete University guide and The Guardian) and International ranking (QS and THE).
Please explain your methodology here.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Those don't measure reputation though :confused:
Jgradschool
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
You've taken rankings that use different data sets and that aim to measure different things to create some arbitrary rank, what's this supposed to accomplish???

Arguably what you've created is a big confusing mess because of how different each ranking is. This doesn't even touch on the fact that rankings are basically glorified spin/puff pieces.
Bothurin
Rep:
?
(Original post by Notoriety)
Please explain your methodology here.
As far as rankings go, I'm pretty confident that this list accurately measures their reputation. (The computer science numbers were not included in this ranking).
Attached files
Last edited by Bothurin; 6 months ago
Tolgarda
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Wow. Leeds is better than KCL? What happened to King's? I thought this used to be one of the 'big five' or part of England's 'golden triangle' for higher education.
Last edited by Tolgarda; 6 months ago
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
As far as rankings go, I'm pretty confident that this list accurately measures their reputation. (The computer science numbers were not included in this ranking).
Fair enough. But as PQ rightly points out, how unis perform in the rankings (e.g. as to student satisfaction and investment in new labs) does not indicate reputation.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Your logic is flawed even for what you've set out to do. You've restricted your sample only to the top 25 in the QS. A university that came 26th in the QS but top 10 in all the other tables you're considering wouldn't be included in your top 25.

You've basically just re-sorted the top 25 in the QS in one year by a bunch of other arbitrary factors.
Moments
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
If you want the real worldwide reputations of UK unis to the world it’s more like :-

1. Oxford
2. Cambridge
“Where’s that is it in London?”
Bothurin
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
Your logic is flawed even for what you've set out to do. You've restricted your sample only to the top 25 in the QS. A university that came 26th in the QS but top 10 in all the other tables you're considering wouldn't be included in your top 25.

You've basically just re-sorted the top 25 in the QS in one year by a bunch of other arbitrary factors.
You're right but let's be honest after QS top 25 it quickly goes south. The only universities that may have missed out are Loughborough and Surrey.
Last edited by Bothurin; 6 months ago
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Moments)
If you want the real worldwide reputations of UK unis to the world it’s more like :-

1. Oxford
2. Cambridge
“Where’s that is it in London?”
Yeah, the international students asking where you're from. "Teesside, is that near Canary Wharf?"
EU Vanya
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Seems like a silly way of measuring anything. Reputation varies a lot by sector. Some sectors may put Oxbridge above all else, some others may have equally strong connections with other high-end universities such as those in London or Bath or Durham or Bristol, others may have connections to local universities that have historically acted as 'feeders'. I imagine that those working in a more vocational or technical subject will disagree with what you've posted. This list seems to have been ordered on the basis of reputation for 'elite' careers.

V
Princepieman
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
ranking is trash
Ragboi
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
League tables are only useful for comparing things like student satisfaction or graduate prospects between 2 unis. That's the only reason I use them.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Ragboi)
League tables are only useful for comparing things like student satisfaction or graduate prospects between 2 unis. That's the only reason I use them.
In which case you’re better off using unistats as it shows the full breakdown of student satisfaction results and more detailed information on graduate employment...and more importantly it shows the information for specific courses instead of for broad subject groups
JohanGRK
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
someone kill this thread

kill it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (220)
12.45%
Excited (166)
9.39%
Worried (308)
17.43%
Terrified (389)
22.01%
Meh (184)
10.41%
Confused (39)
2.21%